UKC

First Crash Pad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jackspratt 26 May 2019

Even though I have climbed outside for a few years now I have never been outdoor bouldering. I am looking to get into it in order to improve my technique.

I'm looking for advice on what pad I should buy as there seem to be different types/thickness etc. What would you recommend?

HeMa 26 May 2019
In reply to Jackspratt:

The biggest, fattest and most durable you can afford, fit in the car or flat. 

I like the Organic Big Pad a lot, but it is really big and spendy. The Snap Grand Wham (old model was Grand Wrap), might even be better, but it is also bulkier and heavier (own smaller Snap P’tit Wraps, and really like ’em).

That said, even a small pad is better than none, so BergFreunde edition Ocuns or EpicTv Psychi will do just fine. 

OP Jackspratt 26 May 2019
In reply to HeMa:

Thanks very much, as a complete newbie to pads I was trying to figure out whether the bigger ones were for insane highballs that would be overkill for me. 

snoop6060 26 May 2019
In reply to Jackspratt:

Nope. The bigger the pad the better. It's just if you can store it and get it in your car. Other than that, bigger is very much better. Especially if you intend to boulder on your own. Bare in mind you'll probably have this pad for many years so get the best one you can. 

HeMa 26 May 2019
In reply to snoop6060:

^^^^^

This, you if you boulder alone and are not all that experienced in outdoor bouldering, then more landing are = safer bouldering. With more experience, a smaller strategically placed pad might be enough... But even then, more pads the merrier.

Naturally big pads make life a lot nicer on highballs, but even then you'll want them to be stiff enough or stack 'em.

So as stated, get the best (thick & durable) and biggest pad you can afford, plus fit in yer car and flat. Those with smaller flats or cars, might actually end up being smarter to get two medium sized pads (easier to store and transport plus more area... e.g. Organing Full Pad & Simple Pad is a nice combo... an replace Simple with Half or Briefcase Pad for really compact unit, that is rather nice).

tjdodd 27 May 2019
In reply to HeMa:

Agree with all the points re bigger the better irrespective of highballing or not.  It is surprising how small even a large pad looks from not that far off the ground - mind you even with a large pad I still bounced off it when falling from a side pull.  I have the Ocun Dominator and think it is great.  It is thick and big and can be arranged in a normal rectangle or rezipped to be long and thin for traverses.

John Hunt 27 May 2019
In reply to Jackspratt:

Alpkit are good.  I have had a ‘Project’ (early design) for about a decade - big but fits in a monster-truck boot or the back seat of a little car.  Made in England.  Mine has had a lot of abuse and still does the business.  Just bought a satellite pad to fit in it for 35 quid.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...