UKC

Original 13 Lake District 3* E1s

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alpenglow 29 May 2019

A friend mentioned that there was a list of 13 3 star Lakes E1s in an old select guidebook, before stars got slapped on every route.

Does anyone have a list of the routes?

Jon Stewart 30 May 2019
In reply to Alpenglow:

No. 

But here's my list all the same :

Whits end direct

Arcturus

Razor crack

Gimmer string

Bludgeon 

Central buttress

Leverage 

Phoenix 

Praying mantis

Raindrop

First touch 

Red Edge (not done it, need to!)

Flat iron wall

Waste not want not (think I'm starting to run out of ideas now, but it's my favourite e1 on white ghyll)

Aardvark (underrated!)

Oh, that's too many. Maybe 13 is in fact the right number? 

Post edited at 08:28
 joe.91 30 May 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

IMO you've missed some of the best!

Totalitarian (E1 5c)

Banzai Pipeline (E1 5b)

Nimrod (E1 5c),

The Angel of Mercy (E1 5b)

Edit: The Philistine, High Crag

Post edited at 08:37
 Jon Stewart 30 May 2019
In reply to joe.91:

Ah yes! How could I have forgotten totalitarian? And one of the Dow routes (I think nimrod is possibly a bit overrated but it is 3*). Really want to do banzai but a bit concerned about what I'll find. I've done the awesome top pitch of Angel of mercy and gable crag deserves a shout.

So scratch gimmer string, flat iron and phoenix

Edit - both philistine and gethsemene are fantastic but I suppose there's only room for 1

Post edited at 08:53
 GPN 30 May 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Gormenghast on Heron Crag definitely deserves to make the cut. I’d drop First Touch personally. Aaros also probably deserves a place, but so does Bludgeon...

I would rate Banzai Pipeline as being the best of the lot - definitely wait for a dry spell though.

Jon Stewart 30 May 2019
In reply to GPN:

> Gormenghast on Heron Crag definitely deserves to make the cut.

Need to do it, forgotten it existed. Is it accessible late summer after birds? 

> I’d drop First Touch

Yep. Hardly the best of the lakes. 

> I would rate Banzai Pipeline as being the best of the lot - definitely wait for a dry spell though.

This is a great thread (hijack) for reminding me of routes to do this summer. I'm finding myself repeating classic stuff because I'm not fit for pushing my grade atm, but there's no need.

I wonder if anyone knows about that original list? 

neilh 30 May 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Drop Red Edge. Long walk in for nothing much.Very disappointing.

Aaros over Blugeon.

Never done Banzai, I have heard it is superb.

Done most of the others and agree on Philistine.

Must be something from Lower Falcon that can be added....Dedication?

Tom Valentine 30 May 2019
In reply to Alpenglow:

Was Deer Bield Buttress one, I wonder?

Mark Harding 30 May 2019
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> Was Deer Bield Buttress one, I wonder?

Quite possibly, I reckon North Crag Eliminate will have been there too.

Post edited at 13:59
 GPN 30 May 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Need to do it, forgotten it existed. Is it accessible late summer after birds? 

Yep, open season on the 1st July as far as I’m aware.

Mark Stevenson 30 May 2019
In reply to Alpenglow:

Interesting question.

If I get the more important stuff on my "to do" list done, I'll have a look through the guidebooks. I've got all four editions of the Constable select guidebook on the shelf. Since that's pretty much the only select guidebook before the two recent FRCC ones, I guess it's one of them...

Derek Furze 30 May 2019
In reply to Mark Stevenson:

You have more important stuff than this?

Michael Hood 30 May 2019

Certainly the original edition of the Cram/Roper/Eilbeck guide had no mention of E (or tech) grades.

Think it came out at about the same time as E grades were first proposed.

Tyler 30 May 2019
In reply to Alpenglow:

Given some of the suggestions above it seems the Lakes is pretty poorly served by E1s compared to Wales (even compared to just Snowdonia)

In reply to Alpenglow:

The 13 ticklist came from the frcc guides pre 1999,when a whole new galaxy was discovered, in langdale of all places! 

I am missing the red and yellow guides from this period (langdale and gable and pillar). 

9 of the 13 are

Hell's Groove, East butt

Gormenghast, Heron

Totalitarian, Raven Thirlmere (good luck) 

Thirlmere Eliminate, Castle Rock

Nimrod, Dow

Catacomb, Dow

Bleakhow Buttress, Bleakhow

Banzai Pipeline, Great End Crag (again, good luck) 

Praying Mantis, Goat

So just 4 to find and it shouldn't be too difficult. Some of the 13 routes will now be e2, just like some of the routes mentioned in the thread above were hvs then. Grade creep is glacial in its pace when compared with the supernova of star explosion. 

See you tomorrow. 

Jon Stewart 30 May 2019
In reply to Tyler:

> Given some of the suggestions above it seems the Lakes is pretty poorly served by E1s compared to Wales (even compared to just Snowdonia)

Obviously there are loads of better e1s in all Wales, but interested in a top 13 in snowdonia. 

Mark Stevenson 30 May 2019
In reply to Presley Whippet:

> I am missing the red and yellow guides from this period (langdale and gable and pillar). 

They are on the bookshelf as well. If someone else hasn't checked, I'll look when I'm back from the climbing wall.

Tyler 30 May 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

OK, off the top of my head.....

Cenotaph Corner

Cemetery Gates

The Grooves

The Groove

Nexus 

Plexus

Super Direct

Crucible

Vember

Shrike

Llithrig

Mabinogion

Slape Direct

Hangover

Traverse of Amphitheatre Buttress

Plumbagin

Great Feet

Javlin Blade

You are right in a way as there seem to be fewer absolute belters compared to HVS, E2, E3 or E4

Post edited at 17:49
 Jon Stewart 30 May 2019
In reply to Tyler:

Thanks - hardly done any of those, so wasn't saying the lakes routes are better (other than by being in the lakes). 13 is quite a lot of really classic routes at one grade! 

Tyler 30 May 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Thanks - hardly done any of those, so wasn't saying the lakes routes are better (other than by being in the lakes).

To be fair there are a couple on there that are still on my notional to do list rather than done as well as some whose grades have changed but with a little research I'm sure I could replace them with equally good routes, I've got nothing from the Rhinogs and very little from the Carneddau or Moelwyns

> 13 is quite a lot of really classic routes at one and grade! 

True but I definitely think it would be easier with E2 or E3. I was thinking about a list of classic E2 in Snowdonia but excluding Cloggy and the Pass but don't won't to derail the thread further (other than to say, in the interest of balance, that Equus might be the best E2 I've done). 

Post edited at 20:02
 danm 30 May 2019
In reply to Tyler:

The obvious link up of Intern and Whit's End Direct is about as good at the grade as anything in the rest of the country, imho. Ximenes followed by Gaul on Pillar would get E1 if it wasn't in the Lakes, and I thought it was a bloody brilliant combo. I rate Capella above Arcturus (more balanced) and under-rated routes I think include Columbia at Stonestar and Tarkus on Dow, 3 stars for both for me. 

In reply to danm:

All very good routes. The original 13 were from the pre 1999 guides, when arcturus was hvs and, had capella been climbed it would most likely have been vs. I agree it is the better of the two routes though. 

danm 30 May 2019

Yeah, my first Lakes guide was the old Langdale one. Pitch lengths in feet and no tech grades, just the odd sandbag thrown in. Might not even have had stars, wish I still had it. Ahh, the good old days! - reading the text, which mainly referred to features in terms of adjacent routes, forcing you to read their description as well, then quickly flipping to the crag diagram at the back, to try and marry the info together, and often failing. 

kevin stephens 30 May 2019
In reply to Tyler:

Cemetery Gates and Crucible are both HVS, the "upgrade" to E1 was an error by subsequent guide book editors, among many others - Grim Wall Direct etc

joe.91 31 May 2019

Why good luck on Totalitarian and Banzai? Did Total. last year and found it wonderful and clean!

In reply to joe.91:

I was under the impression access to raven crag was very difficult due to felling operations, totalitarian is not a route which stays clean for very long. Banzai is worse. 

In reply to Tyler:

Shrike is E2

But Falcon, Barbarian, The Plum, Leg Slip and First Slip are all excellent

joe.91 31 May 2019

Last time I drove past the path of fallen trees appears to of now been felled, I wouldn't think access is as bad now. And I think it stays cleaner than you think, I tried it over a number of times due to rain never quite managed it, But never found it that dirty each time I got on it.

Never done Banzai but hoping too when the crag dries out after all this ruddy rain!

Dave Garnett 31 May 2019
In reply to joe.91:

> Did Total. last year and found it wonderful and clean!

Still desperate for E1 though!

joe.91 31 May 2019
In reply to Dave Garnett:

I must of been climbing well I thought it was okay for the grade! Either way must be on every Lakes climbers list!

In reply to joe.91:

Must HAVE. Jesus, what is it that makes people think ‘of’ is a verb??

Totaitarian is one of those routes that are always dirty but never filthy somehow.

jcm

Greenbanks 31 May 2019
In reply to Alpenglow:

This is a nice thread. Grounded & interesting. Thank you!

Jon Stewart 31 May 2019

> I was under the impression access to raven crag was very difficult due to felling operations, totalitarian is not a route which stays clean for very long. Banzai is worse.

Last summer after the dry weather the route was fine (still hard crux tho). Access through the felled trees was however traumatic, as was the aftermath of the million ticks. 

I advise approaching as a sea cliff - ab in and avoid the horrors of the approach, including the vertical vegetation at the start of the routes. 

Martin Haworth 31 May 2019
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Totaitarian? Jesus, what is it with this sloppy spelling??

danm 31 May 2019
In reply to Martin Haworth:

It's the curse of the pedant - so frothing with rage about a grammatical misdemeanor that they lose the ability to spell. So tedious to see in threads too, it adds nothing to the debate as far as I'm concerned.

Deadeye 31 May 2019

> Must HAVE. Jesus, what is it that makes people think ‘of’ is a verb??

To answer your, probably rhetorical question, is the sound of "must've".

In reply to Alpenglow:

OK back to topic. 

Has anyone identified the missing 4?

Martin Haworth 31 May 2019
In reply to Alpenglow:

I haven't done many E1's in the Lakes, it seems a better location for HVS's and E2's for some reason, maybe just my imagination. Of the ones I've done, I wasn't overly impressed with Bludgeon or Praying Mantis, both great but not brilliant.

I really liked:

Razor Crack

Red Edge

Intern

Totalitarian

Also, I know it doesn't fit the question but I remember the last pitch of Grand Finale at Gimmer as being...memorable, in a good way.

EarlyBird 31 May 2019
In reply to danm:

*Misdemeanour*

danm 31 May 2019
In reply to EarlyBird:

Got you

Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 31 May 2019
In reply to Alpenglow:

Kendal Wall produced an excellent tick list which includes  11 E1’s

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=645

Tom Valentine 31 May 2019

> Must HAVE. Jesus, what is it that makes people think ‘of’ is a verb??

Blame Steinbeck. Generations of schoolkids have been forced to read "Of Mice and Men" but not been made aware of the difference between dialogue in inverted commas (where  "of" is used as a phonetic reresentation of "have") and the correct version.

Authors like McCarthy have compounded the problem by using the same device without the benefit of speech marks.

John2 31 May 2019
In reply to Tom Valentine:

I really do not understand your point. In the phrase 'Of mice and men' the word of is used in the sense of concerning. If he had called his book 'Concerning Mice and Men' you would possibly understand its import.

EarlyBird 31 May 2019
In reply to danm:

So you say

Mark Stevenson 31 May 2019

You possibly missed The Philistine as it's not in the graded list in the Buttermere & Eastern Crags guide for some reason but I've still only got to 11 including the other two guidebooks:

1989 Langdale guide - Gimmer String (E1 5b)

1990 Borrowdale guide - Banzai Pipeline (E1 5b)Bleak How Buttress (E2 5c)Praying Mantis (E1 5b)

[N.B. there is also an typo mis-grading Nagasaki Grooves (E4 6b) as E1, but I don't think we'll count that.]

1991 Gable and Pillar guide - none

1992 Buttermere & Eastern Crags guide - The Philistine (E1 5b)Thirlmere Eliminate (E2 5b)Totalitarian (E1 5c)

1994 Dow Duddon & Slate guide - Nimrod (E1 5c)Catacomb (E1 5b)

1996 Scafell Wasdale & Eskdale guide - Hell's Groove (E1 5b)Gormenghast (E1 5b)

So, we still don't seem to be much closer the definitive 13.

Post edited at 23:29
 TobyA 31 May 2019

If you're going to criticize people's grammar, don't have a typo/spelling mistake in your next line.

We didn't all get to spend our school days with wild-haired future prime ministers!

Thanks for helping Mark, it was quite some time ago. My memory said 13 but clearly that has drifted.

Great tick list, which made a good summer aim. Not sure how many there are now but it would certainly make for a busy summer. Or perhaps a retirement project. 

OP Alpenglow 01 Jun 2019

Thanks all for your help. Hopefully I'll be able to get a few done this summer!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...