UKC

Gary Gibson bio Blood, Sweat and Tears.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AP Melbourne 04 Jun 2019

GG was kind enough to send me a copy here in Upsidedownland. And I absolutely love it!

Gary [with some assistance from a Mr M Ward of this parish] - in my view, writes beautifully, succinctly and even makes football [his beloved Port Vale] sound interesting. Haven't managed to put it down yet so only a few chapters in but nice work from Zippy with a short, punchy Foreword included as well.

Doubtless I'll comment further as I read on but with an [apparently] modest first print run I encourage and Highly recommend forking out the twenty five quid for a copy. Soon, before they're all snapped up.

Finally, I raise a toast to Gary's altruism - accurately mentioned within the dust jacket regarding his avid regeneration, cleaning and equipping dozens, if not hundreds of other peoples' trad routes which have fallen victim to the modern day preference for sport and dirt cheap flights to Spain.

Well done Gary ,, and Mick too I'm sure.

Cheers,

Andy P.

Mick B 04 Jun 2019
In reply to AP Melbourne:

Cheers.  Looking forward to reading this.  Really enjoyed his interview on Grimer's podcast.

andybirtwistle 04 Jun 2019

Enjoyed yours and I enjoyed his for similar reasons.Lots of stories,some funny,some scary and some sad. Some admissions from the past and an honest humility throughout.He is what he is and the book clearly shows his obsession for new routing was never going to be curbed by the established order.The book is much, much more than that though.His complexity and determination shows through in other areas, such as his work,his support for Vale and his love of a certain punk rock band. as well his his loyalty to friends.It's  a  well written, rounded account of his life and as such it gradually reveals the real Gary.

Post edited at 10:21
 yodadave 04 Jun 2019

sounds great and keen to read it, but you got the title wrong ooops

OP AP Melbourne 04 Jun 2019
In reply to myself:

Ughh, there's always a disliker isn't there!!

Whoever is anonymously hiding and missing many points please have the gumption to reveal yourself and tell us why you dissed my post. 

A thank you will probably be ignored and whether you respect and like GG is you prerogative. But, if you have nothing to add to the conversation please stay away as both Gary and Hazel are human beings and doubtless have sensitivities. Gary's book - with Mick Ward's assistance IS excellent. How's yours coming along?

AP.

OP AP Melbourne 04 Jun 2019
In reply to yodadave:

> sounds great and keen to read it, but you got the title wrong ooops

Oops indeed yodadave. Darn smell check eh! I fell foul riting drunkenly in the Pink in the Gum

book wot I rote. Was happy wiv me North Stack Wall chapter though.

Ta. TAXI!!

AP,

> Finally, I raise a toast to Gary's altruism - accurately mentioned within the dust jacket regarding his avid regeneration, cleaning and equipping dozens, if not hundreds of other peoples' trad routes which have fallen victim to the modern day preference for sport and dirt cheap flights to Spain.

Not sure about this point. Hasn't there been considerable controversy around some of these?

Andy,

I’m currently reading Gary’s book and enjoying it. He has been refreshingly honest and often self deprecating about some of his achievements which have been many. I for one really appreciate and have benefitted from all the hard work and effort Gary has put into climbing. 

Chris

odox 06 Jun 2019

I've got my copy and only had a sneaky scan so far but it's got some good sounding stories in there from the looks of it. Nearly 5000 routes, wowza!

steveb2006 06 Jun 2019

Cheers - sounds like a must read. Btw really enjoyed Pynk in the Gum - imo probably the best from this genre that Ive read.
Steve

OP AP Melbourne 07 Jun 2019
In reply to steveb2006:

Aw cheers steveb2006, appreciated.

AP.

nickcanute 07 Jun 2019
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> Not sure about this point. Hasn't there been considerable controversy around some of these?

Is your doubt whether Gary has re-equipped routes or even whole crags? It is simply a fact that Gary has out of his own pocket re-equipped hundreds of routes, not just his own, all over the place. Last year he spent 3 days single handedly cleaning Beeston Tor, replaced threads installed new access lines. Anyway this thread regards his book, and I agree with Andy it is a good and entertaining read.   

OP AP Melbourne 13 Jun 2019
In reply to all:

A great read throughout which I finished two days ago.

Of course there's heaps of 'Gary being Gary' as one would expect but a good smattering of other things too. I was particularly touched regarding his & Hazel's long marriage, the accident, various incidents and a dreaded 'Big C' event. I think the delightful Mrs G deserves a huge thumbs up for her undying support of Gary, as do a plethora of faithful and regular climbing partners [read belayers!] over three-odd decades.

If there's a negative point about Blood, Sweat and Smears then it's very much my own personal one [which I hope has no bearing on anyone else]. It's just that I left UK and the entire climbing scene twenty seven years ago now so I struggled a little bit with the Lundy, Ireland and South Wales sections plus a lot of the obscure little quarries. Nonetheless, it's Gary's story, he writes beautifully, has certainly not wasted a day of his climbing or professional lives [Well done with those achievements] and I heartily recommend this book.

Cheers,

Andy P.

Offwidth 13 Jun 2019

Gary in obscure quarries ??!! ..... we got our signed copy last night from the man himself, with added banter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...