UKC

Extending Petzl microcender for solo top rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FreeloaderJoe 06 Jun 2019

Want to do some solo top roping with a Petzl Microcender. Will back up using alpine butterflies and I know I'm not meant to only use the device on its own according to Petzl.

I feel like I want to have the device on an adjustable length of dynamic rope (I will be soloing on a static 10mm rope) meaning the device is always well above me. 

I was wondering whether it made sense to have the device on some kind of adjustable lanyard (something like a Petzl Connect Adjust) might help me incase I  am in a position where I want to pull some tension back down (as opposed to pushing the device upwards). I suppose pulling on the rope itself would have the same effect?

Does anyone have any thoughts?

jimtitt 06 Jun 2019
In reply to FreeloaderJoe:

Guess if you enjoy being smashed in the face by lumps of metal.........

DANDREWS 06 Jun 2019

I use a Microcender for top rope soloing and put a bit weight on the bottom of the rope so that the device slides up the rope on its own.

mauraman 07 Jun 2019

I also weight the rope at the bottom so the device slides up the rope as i move upward.

MischaHY 07 Jun 2019

For solo toproping by far the comfiest system is to suspend your device of choice between a chest harness and your regular harness. I've done this previously using a quickdraw dogbone sling to extend the device from the belay loop up high enough to be clipped into the loops of the chest harness. This works great and keeps the device central so as soon as you load the rope slightly it engages with relatively little dynamism. It also leaves plenty of room to clip your backup device directly to the belay loop. 

I found the above position is perfect for working routes for later soloing or bold leads. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...