UKC

NEWS: Blind Climber Jesse Dufton leads the Old Man of Hoy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 07 Jun 2019
Jesse Dufton leading the Old Man of Hoy GB Para climber Jesse Dufton has led the Old Man of Hoy – an extraordinary feat considering he is blind. Jesse led all six pitches of the classic East Face Route (E1 5a), placing his own gear and described it as 'the most adventurous hard Trad rock route I've done.'

Read more
 Max factor 07 Jun 2019
In reply to UKC News:

That's just amazing. Well done.

Tom Valentine 07 Jun 2019
In reply to Max factor:

Very impressive. There's a world of difference between this achievement and silly stunts like blindfolding yourself or tying your hands behind your back.

Mark Kemball 07 Jun 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Really impressive, but equally important to me, is what lovely people Jesse and Molly are,  having had the pleasure of spending an evening talking with them at a club hut.

(edit for typo.)

Post edited at 12:05
 Neil Henson 07 Jun 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Superb effort Jesse and Molly - hugely inspiring. Can't wait to see the film.

Greenbanks 07 Jun 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Fantastic effort. A total inspiration.

Neil Henson 07 Jun 2019
In reply to Mark Kemball:

I can vouch for that. I met them last year via a mutual friend.

andyman666999 07 Jun 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Met Jesse and molly bouldering at curbar this winter. He’s really strong and a nice bloke to boot. Not to mention such inspiring feats as this ! Amazing work am very impressed, again!

Derry 07 Jun 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Wow, I am totally blown away by this. Not just the climbing, placing gear or even more impressive, anchor building, but just the confidence to go and attempt it. 

Best 'pure' climbing article in a long while!

slacky 08 Jun 2019
In reply to UKC News:

What an amazing achievement, well done Jesse and Molly.

Robert Durran 08 Jun 2019
In reply to UKC News:

I find this achievement almost beyond comprehension!

In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant; well done - and like others look forward to the film.

jcm

Michael Gordon 08 Jun 2019
In reply to Robert Durran:

> I find this achievement almost beyond comprehension!

Me too. Staggering!

ericinbristol 08 Jun 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Flipping flip! Well done!

In reply to UKC News:

Unbelievable ..... simply amazing 👏👍

Tyler 09 Jun 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Lots of climbers are described as inspirational or having done an inspiring climb when all often they're just doing the same as the rest of us but on smaller holds, this is something very different and truely inspirational. It's beyond my comprehension, amazing.

simes303 09 Jun 2019
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> Me too. Staggering!

And me! Absolutely outstanding. I'm really impressed.

Si.

Post edited at 12:07
 nniff 09 Jun 2019
In reply to UKC News:

I think that that's an absolutely stunning effort.  My memories of eye-balling digestive biscuit flakes and coiled fulmars and generally having a full day out are insignificant in comparison.  Just getting there is no mean feat.

Smith42 10 Jun 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Great effort. Very inspirational.

Jesse Dufton 10 Jun 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Thanks to all of you for your kind words, the Old Man is a truly awesome route and I loved it! There is one problem, I don't know what to do next…!? Any suggestions for other iconic routes on a par with the Old Man of Hoy?

Thanks

John2 10 Jun 2019
In reply to Jesse Dufton:

Have you climbed White Slab on Cloggy? It has two superb slab pitches.

Jesse Dufton 12 Jun 2019
In reply to John2:

No, I've only done Pedestal Crack on Cloggy. That was cool. I tend to find slabby routes harder, as they usually require precise footwork. Not being able to see the rock or my feet, I usually struggle...I tend to prefer cracks!

purkle 12 Jun 2019

My partner recommends:

Grey Panther at Kilt Rock

The Rasp at Higgar Tor

I recommend going to Reiff if you haven't been, some really incredible sea cliff climbs & a lot of cracks on amazing rock.

Andy Moles 12 Jun 2019

Amazing and very inspiring.

You should get yourself out to Pabbay and Mingulay Jesse, lots of adventurous, steep and fairly well protected climbing on generally good holds.

In reply to UKC News:

Impressive quite the adventure, not sure why it has been downgraded because a blind guy did it!!?? (sure this is an unfortunate typo) There is something very special about stacking, sea air, puking fulmers those sandy crumbly holds, Go for the trilogy.

dereke12000 14 Jun 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Wow! I'm lost for words !

Jesse Dufton 14 Jun 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Some great suggestions, thanks! 

The Rasp sounds great. I've been to Reiff and loved it, keen to go back for more... Hadn't heard of Pabbay and Mingulay - that's a great shout.

And obviously Am Buchaille is now on the list to complete the 3...speedos at the ready! Ha

Dave in Kendal 23 Jun 2019

Hi JesseGreat effort, well done. I’m thinking of having a look at the route in August and was wondering about the condition of the wooden wedges. I’d heard rumours that they have been replaced with new ones. Could you verify whether this is true?

kwoods 23 Jun 2019
In reply to Dave in Kendal:

That is mental if true as they're totally unnecessary with cams.

Jesse Dufton 23 Jun 2019
In reply to UKC News:

I think they must have been replaced, as they seemed in reasonable nick (according to Molly). I don't think the originals would have survived this long. However, with modern gear you won't need them, the cams are bomber!

Dave in Kendal 23 Jun 2019

Good to hear about the cams. Do you need any ones bigger than camelot 4’s? That’s the biggest one I’ve got!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...