UKC

Books/films/box sets etc without a subscription?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi all, 

I have a very long flight booked for next Monday with the return leg on the Friday and will want some entertainment to keep me going.  I will be using a Galaxy S10 to view any content.

I dont subscribe to any services such as Netflix, Prime so cant download from there.  I have the full subscription to Virgin Media at home if that's of any relevance.

Where's the best place to go to get inexpensive films, books or box sets in this situation?  

Thanks

Richard

Post edited at 11:30
 Dax H 10 Jun 2019
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Prime normally has a months free offer, don't know if you can download from it though. 

What about a charity shop and buy a couple of cheap books. 

elliot.baker 10 Jun 2019

Netflix is free for a month and you can download to your device.

do that then cancel.

Martin W 10 Jun 2019

Join your local library and borrow some books for free?

Some libraries loan DVDs too: you might borrow a few and rip them to MP4 to view on your phone, so long as you don't care about copyright law.  (I don't think it would count as "fair use".)  Ditto CDs.

OK, OK, I know: all far too 20th century

Post edited at 12:39
 deepsoup 10 Jun 2019

BBC iPlayer?  (Though I'd have to admit I'm not sure how much is available for download as opposed to streaming.)

Post edited at 13:49
 cathsullivan 10 Jun 2019

You can buy online programmes and series from Amazon without Prime or any subscription. Not sure about downloading them though, as opposed to streaming.

Route Adjuster 10 Jun 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

Most stuff on iPlayer is available for Download.  Some films or other licensed material is often not.  never tried downloading to a phone but have done to a Tablet many times for travel / away from home purposes.

Cheers folks. Iplayer would be a good start. What about movies. Is there a PP download site available?

deepsoup 10 Jun 2019
In reply to Route Adjuster:

Cool.  I wasn't sure about that, as I was looking on the website and all the 'download' links seemed to be greyed out.  I guess they want you do use the iPlayer app - the Android version seems like a no-brainer for starters for the OP then.

Was also a bit surprised to notice that the whole second series of Killing Eve is already available, even though only the first episode has been on the telly so far.  Woop. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...