UKC

NEWS: Major Welsh Rockfalls - Vivian Quarry closed and Tremadog Trundled

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 14 Jun 2019
The BMC has been informed by Gwynedd Council, who manage the Padarn Country Park, that a major rockfall occurred in Vivian Quarry, Gwynedd, on 12th June. Landowners have stated that until a full assessment is made, access to the whole of Vivian Quarry (all levels) is prohibited.

Two days later at Craig Bwlch y Moch (Tremadog), two classic VS's were purposefully destroyed for safety reasons on 14th June: Shadrach and The Brothers.

Read more
 Michael Hood 16 Jun 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Pictures of Shadrach area before and after please.

gethin_allen 16 Jun 2019
In reply to Michael Hood:

I'd like to see the video. Surely someone filmed it.

In reply to UKC News:

‘Purposefully’ destroyed???!!!

Funny; I was trying to persuade an American visitor the other day that this hideous misuse of ‘purposefully’ to mean ‘deliberately’ was something only an American would contemplate. Evidently I was wrong.

jcm

Simon Caldwell 17 Jun 2019
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

> Funny; I was trying to persuade an American visitor the other day that this hideous misuse of ‘purposefully’ to mean ‘deliberately’ was something only an American would contemplate. Evidently I was wrong.

How do you know that was the intended meaning here? The sentence also makes perfect sense with its correct usage.

NickK123 17 Jun 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Sad days that Shadrach is no more but understand fully why.  Well done to all concerned for addressing the issue.

The Newt 21 Jun 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Good to see the report using such moderate and unemotional language - "purposefully destroyed" - wonderful to see UKC being so supportive of the BMC as ever.

What were the BMC supposed to do with a massive and unstable block on a popular route on a crag it actually owns? Talk to it nicely?

In reply to The Newt:

No unsupportive language intended. To destroy something is to 'end the existence of something by damaging or attacking it.' They did so intentionally with a useful purpose. 

Removed User 22 Jun 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Why not just "destroyed for safety reasons"? 4 words, says it all.

SenzuBean 22 Jun 2019
In reply to Removed UserMeshach:

Quiet Meshach - you're next!

Andy Moles 23 Jun 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Worth tagging this into the article/thread to raise awareness?

The Big Groove (E3 5c) has also been recently affected by rockfall.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/rocktalk/big_groove_gogarth_rockfall-7061... 

birdie num num 23 Jun 2019
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

I imagine your American visitor accepted your subsequent apology graciously.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...