UKC

Criccieth child friendly crags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Inhambane 17 Jun 2019

Hello 

I'd like to take my young nephew (6) and niece (9) out for their first climb outside.  Can anyone recommend a kid friendly crag near Criccieth that we can go to, to set up a top rope.  I'd be looking for
- easy routes, (3s, 4s)
- short walk in (30 mins or less and not too steep)
- sport or trad,

I don't know the area well but we'll be their on holiday.  

Thanks   

Post edited at 15:11
 Alex Riley 17 Jun 2019
In reply to Inhambane:

Tremadog upper tier. Lots around s-vs, easy set ups at the top, nice grassy area at the bottom. 15-20 min walk in.

Alternatively Barmouth slabs although this is a bit of a drive and can get busy with groups.

If it's wet there is a climbing wall in harlech that's friendly for youngsters.

OP Inhambane 17 Jun 2019
In reply to Alex Riley:

Could you post a link there are a few tremadogs 

Mark Kemball 17 Jun 2019
In reply to Inhambane:

As a kid I scrambled around on the small cliffs at Black Rock sands - west end of the beach, just round the corner from Criccieth - I don't know if it's any good (it was 50+ years ago!) but it might be worth a look.

DerwentDiluted 18 Jun 2019
In reply to Inhambane:

I recently visited  Carreg y Foel Gron and really liked it. The rock is amazingly grippy with lots of comforting juggy pockets. It's a short walk and equipped with belay stakes. I only did one route so don't have any recommendations but it may be worth a look. Catches the wind though.

jezzah 18 Jun 2019
In reply to Inhambane:

The best option is Upper Tier at Tremadog, plenty of easy routes for children- I used to work for a centre that used the crag as its goto venue for beginners/ intro to climbing. The only downside is that there is a bit of a walk up hill to get there- however, with plenty of stops it's quite doable with kids. You can park on the high street/ road just off the high street on your way up to the crag.

Once you are there it also has great views across the bay with Portmadog and Penrhyndeudraeth.

Have fun

Craig Pant Ifan (Tremadog)

PS behind the main crag is a great little bouldering area suitable for beginners where you can also tunnel through/ under some of the boulders (if you are small)

Post edited at 09:12
OP Inhambane 18 Jun 2019
In reply to jezzah:

thanks ! 

Hat Dude 18 Jun 2019
In reply to Inhambane:

I had a quick play around once on Mynydd y Graig near to Abersoch

Can't remember too much about it as it was over 20 years ago but i'd think it may fit the bill.

Mynydd y Graig#overview

Post edited at 14:53

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...