UKC

What the heck is happening on Mt Blanc?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ben b 19 Jun 2019

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/18/mountaineers-land-plane-400-m...

WTAF?

That's more than a little odd, if true. Any ideas?

b

BALD EAGLE 19 Jun 2019
In reply to ben b:

Obviously the Swiss way of avoiding the newly implemented permit scheme...

Cheers

Dave

Deadeye 19 Jun 2019
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Whilst your smiley says you're joking, I think that may be precisely the point

jon 19 Jun 2019
In reply to ben b:

> Bozon (PGHM) said were considering what offence may have been committed.

I'd have thought it was obvious. Heliskiing on Mt Blanc - and the rest of France - has been banned since 1985, and this is essentially no different even though it was a small plane.

FreeloaderJoe 19 Jun 2019
In reply to ben b:

Love it. Genius. 

DaveHK 19 Jun 2019
In reply to ben b:

Everest next in memory of Maurice Wilson.

OP ben b 19 Jun 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

That would scatter the queues. “Incoming!”

b

67hours 19 Jun 2019
In reply to ben b:

How did the police manage to get up to intercept them so fast if they had 400m vertical left to go? Did they land a plane too?

profitofdoom 19 Jun 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

> Everest next in memory of Maurice Wilson.

A helicopter's already landed on the summit of Everest if you missed the news story (it's easy to Google it)

tingle 19 Jun 2019
In reply to 67hours:

In a police plane obviously

Rigid Raider 19 Jun 2019
In reply to ben b:

No different from the problem that's blighting Everest or Kili or any small British mountain of too many people underestimating the dangers. We've all seen people on The Ben in sandals and summer frocks and on Everest there's the added commercial element with corruption and rich folk eager to prove themselves for reasons of ego or to impress others or whatever. 

I'll admit that at a young age my brother and I wanted to climb Mont Blanc with no knowledge of Alpine techniques or the dangers especially the Couloir. We thought it couldn't be any worse than a winter's day out in the Cairngorms.   

I guess one day when the oil has run out and 99% of people have starved to death or we've blown ourselves to bits in nuclear armageddon the situation will right itself and poor old Mother Earth will be able to regain her equilibrium. 

Pete Houghton 20 Jun 2019
In reply to 67hours:

> How did the police manage to get up to intercept them so fast if they had 400m vertical left to go? Did they land a plane too?

I'm not entirely sure if the intended tone of your comment has carried successfully over the internet, but the PGHM are allowed to fly their helicopters wherever they bloody well like, thank you very much.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...