UKC

ARTICLE: British Mountain Guide Training Scheme Entrance Exams

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 25 Jun 2019
Tim enjoying big boot top rope action on Rap. BMG Trainee Misha Nepogodiev finds out that you have to expect the unexpected in order to pass the Entrance Exams for the BMG Training Scheme.

After my application for the BMG training scheme was accepted last June, I was looking forward to the rock climbing, skiing and winter climbing Entrance Exams which you have to pass to be accepted onto the actual BMG training scheme. The exams didn't seem too onerous on paper but climbing or skiing while being assessed was going to be a new experience, so I was a bit apprehensive about it. The idea of being told to come back the following year, or not at all, didn't bear thinking about…

Read more
 John2 25 Jun 2019
In reply to UKC Articles:

In subzero conditions you shouldn't use your car's handbrake when parked - leave it in gear, with chocks under the wheels in necessary. Perhaps there should be a BMG car parking module.

pneame 25 Jun 2019

Enjoyed that - good to see what's involved in a very significant commitment. As John2 says - a transport module looks as if it would be useful. And an accommodation module, perhaps!

TobyA 26 Jun 2019
In reply to John2:

An interesting article. Well done Misha.

On the handbrake thing, I can only imagine this is a problem if you go from wet to freezing conditions.

I drove through over a decade of Finnish winters and never had a handbrake freeze. Various other issues to do with the cold, but not that. Don't remember hearing about it from anyone else either. Perhaps it wasn't even a problem with the cold?

John2 26 Jun 2019
In reply to TobyA:

It's a common problem in Alpine ski resorts.

TobyA 26 Jun 2019
In reply to John2:

Which I guess makes sense if its going from wet (low) to cold (high)? Then again in the spring in Finland you can spend the day driving through slush and standing water from the thaw, then it will go down to -10 still at night and still don't remember it ever happening. Odd...

summo 26 Jun 2019
In reply to John2:

> In subzero conditions you shouldn't use your car's handbrake when parked - leave it in gear, with chocks under the wheels in necessary. Perhaps there should be a BMG car parking module.

It's a digression from the great article but do you really think that people living Canada, sweden, Norway etc.. don't use their handbrake for several months of the year?

Service your brakes regularly, clear the crud etc and if parked up for many weeks 'then' consider not using the handbrake. 

French Erick 26 Jun 2019
In reply to summo:

In Alpine France we do. Standard advice from my pa when I started to drive. Modern car are better though.

I still do it here when I know it'll be cold.

Post edited at 11:40
 Steve Woollard 26 Jun 2019

A great read Misha, good to hear about your journey. 

John2 26 Jun 2019
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

My most amusing Alpine driving experience occurred some years ago when there was a substantial snow fall. I was too knackered after a long day skiing powder to dig my car out completely, so I just dug out the front and the area past the two front doors. When I next drove the car it was a week or so later and there had been a bit of freeze and thaw. When I drove out of the parking space there was a loud cracking sound, which I didn't pay much attention to. When I got back home the same parking space was free, and I saw my Honda boot badge embedded in the snow at the back.

If you want someone to write an article on Alpine parking, I think you've found your man.

Post edited at 13:12
In reply to TobyA:

I think it's the cable that freezes rather than the brakes themselves. Old cable sheaths crack, humidity gets in, everything freezes up and the brakes don't release. 

Misha 26 Jun 2019
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

Ha, indeed. The other trainees keep telling me my driving is rubbish as I’m too slow / cautious. One of the assessors complimented me on careful driving though. Guess I’ll split the difference...

I’ve had the issue with disc brakes seizing up in the UK after a couple of weeks with the handbrake on in winter. Caused me to be late for a work meeting once - learned my lesson there!

AlanLittle 27 Jun 2019
In reply to Some time some place:

I was wondering about that too. I could see drum brakes full of ice being a problem, but they’re practically extinct & I was struggling to figure out what could freeze on a hydraulic disc brake.

Otoh I have had discs rust to death in a few weeks parked on the street in a Munich winter

Misha 27 Jun 2019
In reply to AlanLittle:

These were drums. 

Pefa 27 Jun 2019

That was a very interesting read thanks Misha. 

E2 in the wet? Gulp! 

McHeath 27 Jun 2019

Very interesting and well-written article Misha - thanks, congratulations and good luck for the rest! And I loved the typo "eeking out the rest of tbe summer rock season" - gave me visions of scary moves way above bad pro!

jcw 27 Jun 2019
In reply to Misha:

The one who complimented you on your driving wasn't by any chance named Simon? 

Post edited at 21:40
 Misha 27 Jun 2019
In reply to jcw:

No

Misha 27 Jun 2019
In reply to McHeath:

Was doing a bit of that today on a personal climbing day. Good for the soul.

It’s not a typo by the way. I meant eeking out as in doing the odd route here and there on the occasional nice weekend day. 

Post edited at 22:39
 John2 28 Jun 2019
In reply to Misha:

That is spelt eking out.

Misha 28 Jun 2019
In reply to John2:

You are correct - I was convinced it was a double e but seems not.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...