UKC

REVIEW: Veloce GTX by Dolomite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 28 Jun 2019
Dolomite Veloce on the summit of Mont Trelod (2181m) in the Massif des Bauges. Mont Blanc in the background. The Veloce GTX from Dolomite is aimed at mid-level altitude mountaineering and approach walks over hard terrain. It has an interesting upper construction, a stiff sole, a low-cut profile, and it's incredibly light. After 12 months of use, Alan James gives his verdict.

Read more
 TobyA 28 Jun 2019
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

They look really interesting but are they really a boot?! A crampon compatible shoe sounds weird but they don't seem to actually have ankle support to them which I suppose I think of a boot as having?

The Dolomite boots I did as part of the B1-B2 test last winter were already impressively light (and just really good boots). Nice to see a brand bringing some new options to the British  market - a make that I think looks like will be well worth considering for people looking new boots/shoes.

In reply to TobyA:

Yes they're pretty hard to define! Neither shoes nor boots sounds quite right - I guess they're Shoots

In reply to TobyA:

> They look really interesting but are they really a boot?! A crampon compatible shoe sounds weird but they don't seem to actually have ankle support to them which I suppose I think of a boot as having?

Yes they are very interesting. The ankle sock makes them look like a boot at first glance but the section that actually gives support is definitely low cut like a shoe, however it does give tremendous support since they are exceptionally solid. 

I am not a very experienced crampon user, and I don't think that crampon use is really a big feature of these, but they will take a crampon and as such, could be used for basic glacier crossing - I think. This wasn't tested though - no glaciers in the places I was trying them in France and Italy last year, nor in the Peak District.

Alan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...