UKC

Summer holiday in Slovenia - Kranjska gora

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Kelly 30 Jun 2019

Looking for recommendations, family holiday northern Slovenia - bit of everything - walking, biking, swimming, climbing maybe some scrambling, based Kranjska Gora. 

Also

Triglav looks like a good day out but which route

Guidebooks seem thin on ground - ' Popular climbing routes in Slovenia' any good?

Thanks

John

Post edited at 07:35
 ewanjp 30 Jun 2019
In reply to John Kelly:

Never got to the top of Triglav - we were going to go via a via ferrata route but the person I was with didn't fancy it after we got half way.

The guides we took were the cicerone 'The Julian alps of slovenia' and a guide book named 'Slovenija Sportnoplezalni vodnik' (edition I have is ISBN 978-961-6027-66-3)

Climb Europe have a fair bit of information as well: http://www.climb-europe.com/RockClimbingSlovenia/Bled-Bohinj.htm

Lake Bled is worth a look - warm (ish) all year round (volcanic springs) and you can swim to the monastery in the middle!

msimpson73 30 Jun 2019
In reply to John Kelly:

We’ve visited here several times and I can highly recommend Slovenia. It’s a beautiful country and much quieter than other alpine areas. There is a climbing guide in English (published by Sidarta) but it’s best picking up in the UK before you leave. There are a couple of good crags just outside Dovje which is in the Kranjska Gora vicinity. The public transport to Bled and on to Bohinj where there are lots of crags is also good, cheap and regular. 

Triglav in in a day from Kranjska Gora would require you heading to Mojstrana and you would be best taking two days. My advice is to take a bus to the top of the Vrsic pass from where there are loads of other mountaineering routes: Prisank, Jalovec and Špik are all good hikes. 

For a more relaxed day I would hire bikes and head down the old railway line to the Fusine Lakes on the Italian border and then onto Tarvisio for pizza. There is also loads of beautiful easy walking in every direction. I would advise buying the Cicerone guide ‘The Julian Alps of Slovenia’ by Roy Clark and Justi Carey. 

Kranjska Gora itself is beautiful and compact with several nice pizzerias and gostlinas and a couple of outdoor shops but it is quiet, especially on an evening. Most nightlife is confined to the big hotels. Ljubljana and Bled are must-do day trips. 

You should have an excellent time there. We love it. Hope this helps.

OP John Kelly 30 Jun 2019
In reply to msimpson73:

Thanks you, very helpful, just ordered the Cicerone guide and the bus up the pass sounds great

Cheers

John

In reply to ewanjp:

Thank you

Triglav, VF - not all of our party are good with exposure - likely to be a problem? 

Did you have to queue

cheers

John

Ps great link

Post edited at 10:03
 tjekel 30 Jun 2019
In reply to John Kelly: did the classic Okno Via Ferrata on Prisojnik north face. This a great (and shady) day out an can be started from Vrsic Pass, therefore reducing access and descent. 

Geoff Monaghan 30 Jun 2019
In reply to John Kelly:

The bus up the Vrsic Pass is very useful and nice. It goes on down the other side to Bovec and stops at many useful spots all the way. There is a timetable somewhere online. So you can go out on the bus, walk, swim, climb etc and catch it back later in the day. The most beautiful easy walks and swims (pretty cold of course) are along the amazing Soca river which flows down from below the Vrsic Pass south to Bovec and beyond. There are good climbs and easy and hard walks from the Pass. 

In reply to tjekel:

That looks great, love via ferrata, is the metalwork in good nick, might take the kids, what grade would you say,  Google tell me nothing

Thanks 

John

MattL80 30 Jun 2019
In reply to John Kelly:

If you fancy an easy walking summit then Peč is a good one - it's the meeting point of the Slovenian, Austrian and Italian borders, which adds a bit of interest, and an easy zigzag path through the pine trees, so maybe an option for an easyish family day.

Another good easy walking option is the Vintgar Gorge - spectacular waterfalls (especially after two days of torrential rain, as we'd endured when I was there!).

We did Triglav from Mojstrana, staying in Triglavski Dom for a dawn summit. It's a very easy route, a bit grade 1 scrambly in places, but with cables in the most exposed bits.

I'm jealous - I loved Slovenia (I wouldn't say you need much more than a day to see Ljubliana, if you're heading there).

tjekel 30 Jun 2019
In reply to John Kelly: I had a look at some german descriptions, the metalwork seems to be ok. Depending on the age of the children i'd take one rope for a steep ladder + ledge in the middle of the face. Some easier areas are without rope. You meight google translate this link: https://www.via-ferrata.de/klettersteige/topo/prisojnik-fensterweg and this for a topo of sorts: http://www.klettersteig.com/KS_prisank/Topo.htm

My personal experience ist from 1990.

Post edited at 17:26
In reply to tjekel:

Pic is really handy, looks pretty impressive, is the descent a walk off the back?I

Ps probably sending the kids up first with a rope for me and the wife 😊

tjekel 01 Jul 2019
In reply to John Kelly:

Walk off is a marked trail without difficulties if I remember correctly, but you should visit the summit, some distance from the Okno (= window) first. 

Toerag 01 Jul 2019
In reply to John Kelly:

Be aware that the lack of lifts makes for big days out - we were doing the equivalent of one (or more) of the 3 peaks each day when we went.  You could also hit snow at any time of year which could be a problem for Triglav and the other higher peaks.  The Slovenian approach to protection for dodgy bits seems somewhat random compared to the Dollies - wires where you don't need them, and none where you do!  Mala Mostrojka VF was good as was Mangart (the one to the summit).Prisank 'window' route wasn't much fun in 6" of snow but would be interesting otherwise.

If you stay at the river cottage you can get firsthand info from Roy & Justi, the walking/VF guidebook writers! https://en.rivercottageslovenia.com/home.php

OP John Kelly 01 Jul 2019
In reply to Toerag:

All helpful stuff - Thanks

Not seen a VF guide yet

The 'Popular climbs in Slovenia ' is just like a 1980's alpine guide,  a picture, a line , a lot of text and a belly full of determination required. Probably not family friendly.

Post edited at 17:48

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...