UKC

INTERVIEW: Perfect Partners #18: Rob and Craig Matheson

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 04 Jul 2019
Craig and Rob Matheson on a day out in May 2019. In this series of articles, Tom Ripley interviews some well-known climbing partnerships to dig up their dirty secrets and find out what they really think of one another...

Browse through the first ascents section of any Fell and Rock Climbing Club guidebook, and from the 1970s onwards the name Matheson starts to appear. Initially it is R. Matheson (Rob) with first ascents of Cruel Sister (E3), Grand Alliance (E4) and Holocaust (E4) - all of which feature in the hallowed Extreme Rock and are now considered some of the best of their grade in the Lakes.

Read more
In reply to UKC Articles:

Really enjoyed this one! Beyond having heard their names I knew very little about the Mathesons... now I know a bit more

squarecow 04 Jul 2019

Great article due to excellent subject matter! I learned something as well, that I've done all the Lakes routes (bar the hardest) attributed to Rob in this article but didn't know they were his (to my shame). They are all glorious outings. I love the banter on the YouTube videos and the lo-fi way they are shot. That's mainly due to these two having to get out and line the camera up and leave it running while Rob belays. You should check them out as the banter confirms all that they've said about each other here. The thing about the trainers is true as well. There was a 7b+ at Kendal that Craig did in his trainers this winter. I'd done it lots of times so the next week I thought I'd give it a go, in trainers... I did manage it but unlike Craig, who that day went on to climb many more routes I had to go and have a lie down in a darkened room 😀

Wil Treasure 04 Jul 2019

I've met Craig a couple of times in the last few years. He seemed unfeasibly psyched for someone with two small kids. I couldn't fathom how he had the energy and determination. I was left thinking he was definitely someone I'd want on the other end of the rope if I were in a spot of bother. One of the good guys. 🙂

Ramon Marin 05 Jul 2019

Such a family team psyche, I wish Rob was my dad! E7 when 70, right on! So good. I bet none of their routes are soft touch either. I love the picture of Craig in their garden expedition, says it all

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...