UKC

Rat Race at Gogarth

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike lawrence? 11 Jul 2019

I took my friend up this as part of his stag week and we were both a bit freaked out by the long steep grassy section above the rotten chimney and the even longer but not quite so steep grassy gully to get to the belay at the top of pitch 6. Are we both turning really wussy? Shouldn't the guidebooks mention this (i'd hate to be there if it started to rain) and why do so few logbook entries refer to this? Seemed a significant part of the route to me. I know it might all be part of the gogarth experience and I should person up but the grass was a lot scarier than the climbing or was it just us?

Alun 11 Jul 2019
In reply to mike lawrence?:

I don’t recall either of those sections to be any more scary than the climbing, sorry!

Misha 11 Jul 2019

Par for the course I think. 

In reply to Misha:

Yes i was worried that was the answer though we have done quite a few routes on main cliff and we both thought this had the worst grassy choss.

Are you the guy who was giving a Rachel prussiking lesson on craig ddu? Well done on king wad anyway!

mike

Sean Kelly 16 Jul 2019

We suffered from continious bird attack on this and eventually gave up.  It was frightening to say the least!

Misha 16 Jul 2019

Thanks, yeah that was me. Main Cliff extremes don’t tend to be grassy but Rat Race is. If you survive the chimney, it’s a walk on the lawn

kevin stephens 16 Jul 2019
In reply to Misha:

I’ve always enjoyed squirming in the Chimney; some interesting gear placements. The 5a/b top pitch slab in pouring rain was more harrowing and the grass a welcome respite.

Paul Evans 17 Jul 2019
In reply to kevin stephens:

Yes I remember you seemed to enjoy the chimney on our ascent Kevin. I still remember my "gentle introduction" to the main cliff

Paul

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...