UKC

VIDEO: Arc'teryx Lakeland Revival in full swing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 11 Jul 2019
The sixth Arc'teryx Lakeland Revival is in full swing. From the 4th May to 31st August participants are invited to climb the suggested routes put together by the Fell and Rock Climbing Club. The UKC dream team of Rob Greenwood and Rachael Crewesmith got together and climbed Haste Not (VS) at White Ghyll in Langdale. In this short film, they discuss what they love about the Lake District and why they keep coming back:

Read more
In reply to UKC News:

To add some context to the 'small cams' comment, I'd basically given Rachael a load of s**t for bringing a bunch of micro-cams with her because - in my own words - "we clearly won't need them". Upon passing that initial overhang I remember seeing countless opportunities to place the cams I had conveniently left on the floor, something I wasn't afraid of owning up to because - lest we forget - it was completely my fault...

For anyone that hasn't hasn't done Haste Not (VS 4c) make the effort to get up there and do it, it's absolutely out there for the grade and (imo) about as good as VS gets. Reckon I've done E5s that are less exposed!

p.s. Rach, if you are reading this, I'm not sure anyone could look excellent whilst performing that slither manoeuvre 

Post edited at 17:03
 rachcrewe 11 Jul 2019
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Never leave the magic cams on the ground, Rob, you know this now. 

I've compared our two interpretations of The Slither; your ape index provides considerably more opportunity for gracefulness and success, as demonstrated in your success (but luckily not dwelled upon by film maker Nick).

Jon Stewart 14 Jul 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Nice video - and a reminder that there is (hopefully) some swag on offer for climbing a route. I think you've captured something of what climbing in the Lakes is about: many of the crags are a bit scrappy or rambly, and you might have to walk up a hill and maybe scramble up some horrible choss to get to them, but the best routes are really fantastic. With some of best, grippy, featured rock you'll ever climb on and the most beautiful settings, if you can get around the idiosyncrasies it's tremendously rewarding.

Just one comment on the route cards: whoever reckons that Far Hill Crag is a "brilliant crag with superb, clean rock" is either lying, insane, or (more likely) hasn't been in the last 25 years.

C Witter 18 Jul 2019
In reply to UKC News:

A cracking route, Haste Not - and an audacious lead for its day. I really enjoyed it, earlier this year.

What was the crag that appeared at the end, looking over toward Gimmer? Side Pike? Or Spout Crag? I've not been up there before - looked interesting.

Maybe if you do another Lakeland Revival vid, you could get some local climbers in it? Just an idea. There are some real personalities in Langdale - nevermind Cumbria as a whole. And it's good to counter the impression that it's just an adventure playground for tourists to explore.

Post edited at 11:44
 Lemony 18 Jul 2019
 Simon Caldwell 18 Jul 2019
In reply to Lemony:

Crustacean Traverse (VD) was on the Lakeland Revival list a few years ago. We didn't manage it, as it rained the weekend we were there, but I keep meaning to go back.

C Witter 19 Jul 2019
In reply to Lemony:

Ta Lemony!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...