UKC

Climbing and accommodation in Sicily Italy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 beds74 15 Jul 2019

Hi

I'm looking to disappear maybe over the UK winter and climb in and around Sicily in Italy, as i hear this could be and is a good destination to go.

Were looking to hire an apartment or villa for maybe 5/6 weeks and wondered if anyone has done the same, and have any recommendations of where to stay/price for that length of time? We don't want to stay in a grotty 1 bedroom place, so something a little bigger would be an advantage. 

From the b it i've read the north of the island seems to be a good place to climb, anyone else think differently? 

Any advice, tips and hints would be gratefully received.

Regards,

Beds.

8dreams 15 Jul 2019
In reply to beds74:

Would def, most certainly, couldnt emphasise more, climb in the san vito area + stay in the el bahira campsite (they have mobile homes + swimming pools, market, pizza, bar....). Both choices beat the rest by a long stretch imo. 

Paul Hy 15 Jul 2019
In reply to beds74:

second for San vito, but you can also rent villas/apartments in and around the town. 

OP beds74 15 Jul 2019
In reply to 8dreams:

Thanks for this-Is the climbing good, or excellent would you say? Obviously enough, but would it hold your attention for the length of time i mentioned?

earlsdonwhu 15 Jul 2019
In reply to beds74:

I enjoyed my trips to San Vito. Both were a week/ ten days and I thought this was enough. The climbing was good but because it is basically a single straight cliff above a raised beach, the outlook is always the same. (At least in  say Kalymnos the coast changes direction so the view changes.)

OP beds74 15 Jul 2019
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Ok thanks. Reading that we may change location....some varied climbing would be perfect. Single/Multi trad etc. 

Thanks.

full stottie 15 Jul 2019
In reply to beds74:

Capo San Vito is really good, but it isn't the only set of crags in this part of Sicily. The Versante sud Di Roccia Di Sole guidebook covers loads of single pitch and the many multi-pitch options in the Trapani (Sicily North) area, https://www.needlesports.com/2783/products/di-roccia-di-sole--climbing-in-s... and of course Sicily Rock which is the definitive guide for San Vito itself.  https://www.needlesports.com/advancedsearch.aspx?Term=Sicily%20Rock

There's loads of rock to choose from. We found it quite easy to rent an apartment in San Vito on our 2 trips there using sites like air bnb and booking.com. Both accommodations were excellent for a group of 5 and reasonably priced. Car hire - you need to choose wisely as we had some issues about almost invisible scratches. The rest of northern Sicily was lovely - good food, friendly people, interesting towns, not too far from Palermo airport etc. Have fun, I'm jealous thinking about your trip.

Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...