UKC

Gri gri + or gri gri 2019

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Shaunhaynes99 17 Jul 2019

What people opinions  on both of these? I've learnt to belay over the past few  top rope on both  acts and a gri gri 2, and now looking to buy my own gri gri. 

But I'm unsure which to get  there only 20 quid  difference.  In the unit from shopping around? As I say I've been using using a the gri gri 2 mosty for learning  and havnt had any issues? 

Will be used for indoor sport and top roping and  top roping on  southern sandstone. 

From what I've been reading the plus in more durable in sandy areas.  But is harder to use for sport routes and the thumb catch isnt so large 

Osiris 22 Jul 2019
In reply to Shaunhaynes99:

I find the gri gri + simple and easy to use, plus the steel plate will definitely add life to it. Can't say I've tried the new version.

PaulJepson 22 Jul 2019
In reply to Osiris:

Where does the steel plate extend to on the plus? Is it just the folded-over section or is it the whole inside section of that plate? I've found the grigri 2s generally wear the plate inside to the point where it can start to damage ropes after a lot of use. 

krikoman 22 Jul 2019

Why not just keep using your ATC? Save yourself some money, for other more useful stuff.

OP Shaunhaynes99 23 Jul 2019
In reply to krikoman:

Whilst I am happy with the atc I just feel more confident  with the gri gri. In case anything should  happen to me,   I went with the gri 2019 model as it what I'm used too and  wont be used a huge huge amount 

Post edited at 06:05
OP Shaunhaynes99 23 Jul 2019

But I will properly  still use the atc for sandstone as if the grit destroys it they are far cheaper to replace 

krikoman 23 Jul 2019

> Whilst I am happy with the atc I just feel more confident  with the gri gri. In case anything should  happen to me,   I went with the gri 2019 model as it what I'm used too and  wont be used a huge huge amount 

Fair enough! well all make our own choices, good luck to you

Osiris 25 Jul 2019
In reply to krikoman:

I can belay half asleep after nightshifts with a grigri, confident I won't drop my partner. A win for me, but OP: if you're not confident with an ATC don't skip to an assisted locking device. You need that skill.

krikoman 25 Jul 2019
In reply to Osiris:

> I can belay half asleep after nightshifts with a grigri, confident I won't drop my partner. A win for me, but OP: if you're not confident with an ATC don't skip to an assisted locking device. You need that skill.

I've seen more accidents by people using grigris than people using ATCs, a lot of people tend to panic and do all sort of weird shit with a grigri, but it's a personal choice as I said.

Keeping it simple works best for me and everyone in our club.

Post edited at 08:47
OP Shaunhaynes99 25 Jul 2019
In reply to Osiris:

I am happy with a atc and  as I say will probably  use it for sandstone as it cheap simple and easy to replace.  Of it covered in grit. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...