UKC

Lightweight sandal/shoe advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fshbf 25 Jul 2019

I'm planning to walk the Pennine Way later in the summer, and am looking for a pair of lightweight sandals to wear in the evenings to give my feet a rest from walking boots. They need to be light enough that I'm happy carrying them, but I hate wearing flip-flops because of the bit that goes between your toes (get terrible blisters from them). Most of the standard walking sandals look a bit heavier than I'd like - particularly as I'm not planning to wear them during the day. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Tom Valentine 25 Jul 2019
In reply to fshbf:

The cheap Karrimor ones I'm wearing at the moment aren't as good as the Tevas which I wore out with mileage but they are light and would compress quite well, toe enclosed but not heel. Rubber base so socks advisable.

In reply to fshbf:

I bought a pair of the cheapest trainers in decathalon for £9.99. They way in at 180g and are great to climb with clipped to your harness on longer routes and surprisingly sure footed on descent routes... very comfortable but not recommended for any serious running

subtle 25 Jul 2019
In reply to fshbf:

crocs - lightweight

Jon Greengrass 25 Jul 2019
In reply to fshbf:

If the heatwave continues, I'd be leaving the boots at home, walking in lightweight sandals and going barefoot in the evening.

Hat Dude 25 Jul 2019
In reply to fshbf:

What about pool sandals (slides as they're sometimes called")

Crocs do some which I would guess are pretty light as I have a similar pair of Croc "Thongs"

https://www.crocs.co.uk/p/classic-ii-slide/205732.html?cgid=men-footwear&am...

There is nothing on your profile which suggests you might be mortified at being seen wearing Crocs and anyway you can't be "cool" or you wouldn't be doing the Pennine Way

Post edited at 16:30
 PaulJepson 25 Jul 2019
In reply to fshbf:

+1 for Crocs. You can use them for any river crossings as well. They let your feet breath and you won't get any blisters from fabric rubbing like you can in sandals. You won't find anything which combines function, price and weight as well as Crocs do. 

Hat Dude 25 Jul 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

> You won't find anything which combines function, price and weight as well as Crocs do. 

Croc imitations from Aldi or Lidl?

Tom Valentine 25 Jul 2019
In reply to Hat Dude:

I presume (and hope) that you are having a dig at people who think it's important to be cool rather than making out the PW isn't a walk worth doing. 

Gordon already made some dismissive comments about it on another thread but I hope that isn't going to be a trend. 

RunningInCircles 25 Jul 2019
In reply to fshbf:

https://xeroshoes.co.uk/sandals-huaraches/xero-shoes-amuri-ztrek.html

Light and no toe post. Not that cheap, but light and very long lasting.

But then, I would probably do that walk in sandals Done the odd ultra in sandals, though I prefer a traditional tie for something other than mooching about in.

Tom Valentine 26 Jul 2019
In reply to RunningInCircles:

I wouldn't consider doing the PW in sandals like you showed any more than I'd consider taking my kit in an Aldi carrier bag but if you think it's feasible, have at it.

John Gresty 26 Jul 2019
In reply to fshbf:

I once did the Marsden - Edale walk in a pair of sandals with no problems, therefore I don't see why doing the whole Pennine Way in sandals would be a problem. For the last few years a pair of Merrell sandals have been my normal summer walking footwear.

John

petermartinez 26 Jul 2019
In reply to fshbf:

Crocs would be the best.

Andy Johnson 26 Jul 2019
In reply to fshbf:

Another vote for crocs. I take a pair for trips longer than a few days and its always worked well. Helps that they don't absorb moisture at all, and are lightweight and basically indestructible.

Post edited at 09:10
RunningInCircles 26 Jul 2019
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Lol.

Fair enough. I've done numerous 50m or 100km events in various forms of sandals and a fair few summer Cairngorm routes including McDui I get used to the oddball looks... But then I signed up for the first Bingo Race, so I know I lost touch with normality a while back.

Since relocating to Scotland and having the Cairngorm park as my backyard, I have got slightly less minimal in kit.

Crocs are not a bad call, but bulky compared to sandals and I wouldn't walk far in them. Priorities I guess. I do take crocs for casual camping where we are static. But for my multi day jaunt across Monadhliath/Cairngorm area, I will take sandals.

Whatever works. The important thing is comfort and fun for you. Have a good trip.

Jon Greengrass 26 Jul 2019

> Crocs are not a bad call, but bulky compared to sandals and I wouldn't walk far in them. Priorities I guess. I do take crocs for casual camping where we are static. But for my multi day jaunt across Monadhliath/Cairngorm area, I will take sandals.

Some of the most painful blisters I ever had were from walking round a holiday resort in crocs with damp/wet feet. I wouldn't walk more than a 100yds in them again in damp conditions like a campsite with long dewy grass.

In reply to Jon Greengrass:

Yes, I could see that happening.

Barefoot would be my preference, but something to avoid standing in pee when going to the toilet block is needed at times

Tom Valentine 26 Jul 2019

I wasn't knocking sandals as such. As I said, the Tevas I had clocked up loads of miles and even the odd scramble but they were sturdy things with enclosed toe and heel, very different from the ones in your pic which would leave me feeling a bit vulnerable on rough ground.

doz 26 Jul 2019

> Something to avoid standing in pee when going to the toilet block is needed at times

Better aim?

In reply to doz:

I'll try to improve

PaulJepson 26 Jul 2019
In reply to fshbf:

For the record I've never had blisters in Crocs. And they were my weapon of choice for The Pennine Way, Appalachian Trail and numerous other multi-day hikes. 

Their only downside is that they are, as already mentioned, quite bulky and don't pack down. I strap and/or clip mine to the back of my pack (I put a loop of 2mm cord through some of the holes near the toe to put a krab through). I would avoid exclusively using the heel loop as a way to attach them to yourself, as they do occasionally come off and I once ended up having to backtrack to locate a lost flipper.

One luxury item I would seriously consider would be the sea to summit kitchen sink. Doesn't weigh anything and there is honestly nothing like sitting in camp with your feet in a bucket full of cold stream water (just make sure you don't buy the dog-bowl-sized one). 

angry pirate 27 Jul 2019
In reply to fshbf:

Joining the chorus of praise for Crocs here (well, fake copies anyway).

I've used them as evening footwear for numerous long distance walks having previously lugged a pair of sandals for the evening.

Crocs are virtually the lightest footwear you'll find short of flip flops, they offer some toe protection in wet grass if you're caught short at night, as an added bonus they rinse clean really easily I'd you pick up a intestinal infection and are sick on your feet in the early hours (don't ask me how I know that one!)

They are more bulky to pack than sandals but I find I can squeeze mine inside the bag just under the lid.

Best fiver I've ever spent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...