UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: The Hard Road

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 02 Aug 2019

This week's Friday Night Video documents the story of 22-year-old Siddhi Manerikar from Mumbai, India. Siddhi grew up in a fishing village and got her start in climbing by playing in cashew trees as a child. A chance to try indoor climbing opened up a world of opportunities for Siddhi, which led to her becoming the first Indian woman to climb 8a and representing her country on the IFSC circuit.

Siddhi was one of 6 young Asian athletes selected to take part in an elite training camp in Japan with GB Climbing Team coach Ian Dunn. Although she lacks the facilities and opportunities that most competition climbers have, Siddhi isn't letting this get in the way of her ambitions.

Read more

brunoschull 02 Aug 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Now THAT was worth watching--so inspiring.  People are amazing.  Thanks for positing. 

Mick Ward 02 Aug 2019
In reply to UKC News:

"Climbing is not just a sport. It teaches an important life lesson as well."

Well said!

Mick

Ian Dunn 02 Aug 2019
In reply to brunoschull:

Was a pleasure to work with Siddhi in Japan, it’s what I love about coaching, just giving a couple of tips to improve the performance, so satisfying for both athlete and coach.

Siddhi makes you really appreciate what you have got and it’s not the facilities that drive you on it’s the attitude, she will go far, she is very determined and wants to work hard.

AP Melbourne 03 Aug 2019
In reply to UKC News:

That was charming - as appears is the young lass.

Great to see me old mate Ian again. Had a rope off him up Right Wall about 1979 or 80 and he looks younger now than I recall from back then.

Nice one,

Cheers,

AP.

Ramon Marin 05 Aug 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Now THAT is a climbing story! So inspiring. Let alone that climbing 8a within your first two years of climbing with no facilities is remarkable by any standards. Go Siddhi!

paul mitchell 06 Aug 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Let's hope that once she is financially secure, she can adventure out on to real rock and develop her talents there,on her own terms.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...