UKC

Nostalgic songs?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ben_Climber 15 Aug 2019

I just heard Pink Floyds Comfortably Numb for the first time in ages.

Took me back to being a youngster and my dad having it blasting in the car when he was ferrying me around to football matches on a Saturday morning.

That guitar solo is something else!

Good memories

Andy Hardy 15 Aug 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Ça plane pour moi.

Heard it on YouTube a few days ago, suddenly took me back to 1979/80 

Mr. Lee 15 Aug 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

I listened to Massive Attack's Unfinished Symphony recently for the first time in ages. Still one of those tracks that makes me feel happy and sad at the same time.

In reply to Ben_Climber:

Check out David Gilmour  playing Comfortably Numb Live at Pompeii 2016 - on YouTube, if you haven't seen that. Still playing as well as ever.

In reply to Ben_Climber:

Lindisfarne's Meet Me On The Corner is one of those nostalgia songs for me, a soundtrack to part of my childhood.  I don't think my parents ever thought what it might be about; if they had, perhaps it wouldn't have been quite so well aired.

T.

OP Ben_Climber 16 Aug 2019
In reply to Mr. Lee:

An absolute belter!

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 16 Aug 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

youtube.com/watch?v=n2xODjbfYw8&

The eternal question, melancholy and as apt as ever

Chris

OP Ben_Climber 16 Aug 2019
In reply to John Stainforth:

John, just watched it. Incredible stuff!

They don't make music like that anymore.

Andy Clarke 16 Aug 2019
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Been in love with that voice since the first night I heard it (as a moody teenager listening to John Peel).

Tom Last 16 Aug 2019

Oh God, that’s just the best and saddest for me. 

Similar vein to this  youtube.com/watch?v=hKvB3g3HEPQ&

nathan79 16 Aug 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Any time I hear Bryan Ferry or Roxy Music it takes me back to having to suffer listening to those horrid warbly vocals thanks to my mother's enduring fandom.

Absolute 80's on DAB does often take me back to my days as a kid playing in the garden with Radio 1 on playing all the hits of the day (back when it was actually worth listening to-both in terms of presenters and music!)

Ceiriog Chris 16 Aug 2019

Couldn’t  agree more, I was trying  to attach a link to Meet on the ledge by the mighty Fairport, but the crap WiFi on this oil rig won’t let me, so you’ll have to sing it to yourself

Moley 16 Aug 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

When I was 16 I bought an LP called Gutbucket, I remember we had recently purchased a Decca record player at home and this seemed a pretty cool LP to buy, for a very innocent 16 year old (1969). It had a picture of a pig on the cover + some band names I recognised, must have music.

On it was this track by Hapshash and the coloured coat, it absolutely blew me away, I remember waiting for mum to go out shopping and playing it over and over again, sitting in the kitchen with the Decca record player turned up way passed 11. Rock and Roll.

youtube.com/watch?v=Lv0H_fYTr44&

I still have the LP, very worn.

toad 16 Aug 2019

This time last week...

( ok Saturday, but you get the gist)

toad 16 Aug 2019
In reply to Ceiriog Chris:

Too many friends.... blown off this mountain

pasbury 17 Aug 2019
In reply to Ceiriog Chris:

A climbers song...

angry pirate 17 Aug 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

I've just spent the evening creating a playlist to burn onto CD for a family road trip (a bit of a family tradition) and I've spent a good while wallowing in 80's and 90's songs I grew up with.

Two standouts: Inspiral Carpets - this is how it feels to be lonely and Josh Winks - Higher state of consciousness.

petemeads 18 Aug 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Incredible String Band - choice of October Song (might prefer Corries version), The Half-Remarkable Question or The Circle is Unbroken. Was introduced to ISB songs by a couple singing in the Nags Head in Edale on my first camping/climbing trip with the Poly climbing club in 1969 (bloody hell, 50 years ago!)

Timmd 18 Aug 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

youtube.com/watch?v=eHRg2nUtwQ4&

Promised Land by Johnny Allen always reminds me of childhood car journeys going on holiday somewhere.

Post edited at 19:00

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...