UKC

Problems with Meindl shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Le Sapeur 17 Aug 2019

I recently bought a pair of Meindl walking shoes, first time for this brand, and have been shocked at how slippery the soles are. Basically any steep, and not so steep wet slope becomes a major challenge in staying upright. They get 89% 1 star reviews on Trustpilot which is the worst I've seen on that site, for poor quality and dangerously slippery soles. This is the only piece of kit I have ever bought that is dangerous rather than just not very good. I now have a £150 worth of carpet slippers. If you are buying this brand I would recommend asking for a wet surface trial. 

boriselbrus 18 Aug 2019
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Interesting. My Meindl boots are 6 years old and utterly dependable for grip. The Scarpa boots I bought in January are as dangerously slippery as you describe above. 

Both have Vibram soles. 

I do wonder if the Scarpa's will improve as the soles get more scuffed  but they've already done a couple of hundred KM's. 

Babika 18 Aug 2019
In reply to boriselbrus:

Yep, I agree. 

My 15 year old Meindls have scrambled up loads of routes in the wet and never slipped. The vibram soles were re-soled 3 years ago successfully but as the stitching is now starting to come apart I replaced with Scarpa Zodiacs thus year.

Crib Goch in the rain 2 weeks ago and the Scarpas were really slippy.

I'm hoping they improve.

andrew ogilvie 18 Aug 2019
In reply to Babika:

Oddly enough I've had two pairs of Brasher Hillmasters and the later pair, similar to what is described above, are much more slippery than expected on wet rock. This contributed to my less than optimal experience of falling literally flat on my face high on Ben Oss a couple of years ago.

I should add that this isn't a complaint as I'm happy enough with the Brasher shoes and boots I've had but it's something I'm aware of when I choose those boots for a day.

Edit...Boots in question may in fact be fell masters gtx

Post edited at 14:59

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...