UKC

10 days, money no object, what would you do?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 maybe_si 18 Aug 2019

It's looking like my other half is off to Australia over Easter next year to visit family, as a result I have a week to ten days to myself.

My first thought was to try and find a few people to go on a Mediterranean sport trip  but then I starting thinking about other options for a trip by myself.

What would you do if you had a week to ten days to do anything you wanted?  We have a reasonable amount of disposable income (nothing crazy) but could comfortably spend a couple of grand on a trip if it were something really cool.  I like challenges and trips with a purpose.

I have been thinking about all sorts of options from hiking the coast to coast lakes to north Yorkshire, are there similar challenges in a fun location abroad?  Learning to sail/scuba/something like that?  Yomping up a really big mountain? 

Bearing in mind locations/seasons etc, what would you do over Easter next year if you were in a similar situation?

All options most welcome!

Robert Durran 18 Aug 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

Go to Jordan. Explore the desert of Wadi Rum, doing whatever scrambly stuff you feel up to doing. Spend a few days learning your Scuba diving down at the Red Sea (only an hour or so away). Visit Petra on the way from or to the airport. Great time of year to go.

marsbar 18 Aug 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

Learn to surf somewhere warm like the Canary Islands?  

In reply to maybe_si:

Do the coast to coast, then come back on the Hadrian's wall path. Or if you want something less frequented, try the Southern Uplands way.

Or do the Irish Munros.

Or walk coast to coast through the Pyrenees, if things are passable.

T.

kaiser 18 Aug 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

Do you ski?  a week of that would be on my list.  Davos is good late season, or perhaps the Arlberg

OP maybe_si 18 Aug 2019
In reply to kaiser:

My skiing is average at best!  But I'm all for giving stuff a go 

OP maybe_si 18 Aug 2019
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

I did think of the Pyrenees coast to coast but not sure it would really be doable in a week?  Happy to be proved wrong though!

pasbury 18 Aug 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

I'd use my imagination.

LakesWinter 18 Aug 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

Crawl around in some damp bushes 

tjdodd 18 Aug 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

What about something like climbing some big walls in Madagascar

https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/destinations/climbing_in_madagascar_-_t...

April might not be ideal though, but I would go for something adventurous like this (if I had the climbing ability).

Fozzy 18 Aug 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

Sail up the coast of Croatia, stopping off to visit a different vineyard each evening. Bliss. 

Wilberforce 18 Aug 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

Money no object, a 7-10 night liveaboard trip to Cocos or Socorro would be unbeatable. Giant manta rays, schooling sharks, whales, dolphins, turtles... It's like jumping into a blue planet episode.

If those trips are too spendy then check out options in the Red Sea or the Maldives, although April isn't the best month for sharks in the red sea. 

You'd need to learn to dive (and get some experience in) beforehand but it's definitely worth it.

Timmd 19 Aug 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

Travel to Iceland, then Greenland, then over to Alaska I think. Many people go to South America, but that part of the would holds more appeal for me. I'd buy some wildlife books and take lots of pictures. 

Post edited at 00:46
 arch 19 Aug 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

Why not go to Australia with your other half ??

summo 19 Aug 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

Stay-cation.

Learn to sail, dive, kayak.. somewhere on the West coast. Use left over cash to buy some kit of your own. 

The UKs west coast (sorry east) is even more amazing when viewed from offshore. Plus no air miles, jet lag or lost travel time. 

Tobes 19 Aug 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

most folk on ukc “yeah global warming is terrible, we must do more to stop it, fly less, reduce our carbon footprint”

maybe_si “hi everyone, I’ve got some spare time and money, any suggestions for an adventure?”

’some’ folk on ukc “ooh, you should go here, fly there, fly here, short haul-long haul!”  

summo 19 Aug 2019
In reply to Tobes:

Don't you know there is a climate emergency. Best fly around the world umpteen times quickly while we are still allowed. Won't be long before people are flying to Iceland to visit that vanished glaciers memorial. 

Doug 19 Aug 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

Given the time of year I'd probably go skiing somewhere in Europe, possibly northern Norway as I've heard so much about the place over the last 20 years but never had the time & money together to make it possible.

McHeath 19 Aug 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

Been living in Berlin for the last 36 years, so I'd take myself to maybe the Peacock at Rowsley and do alternate days of fly fishing on the Wye and getting back on the gritstone to attempt some classic E1's which I never got done back in the day, preferably with some of you entertaining and argumentative guys from the Forum ... in  the evenings darts and a few pints in the pub. Now that would be my idea of bliss!

mauraman 19 Aug 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

Since you mention it in your list, learn scuba diving is a great option. it will open doors to a new world and, if you love nature, you will enjoy it a lot. Send me a mail if you are considering it and I can suggest some destinations.

WaterMonkey 19 Aug 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

Go with her?

Removed User 19 Aug 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

A reasonably green trip would involve taking the TGV down to Marseille, Grenoble or perhaps just Paris. You could then enjoy yourself in Verdon, some nice big hills in the Alps or just go bouldering in font.

As most electricity in France is generated carbon free (nuclear), train travel is guilt free.

In reply to maybe_si:

Try walking from Glasgow to Aviemore in 10 days.

Milngavie -> Drymen  - first stage of West Highland Way.  1 day

Drymen -> Pitlochry - Rob Roy Trail  5 days

Pitlochry -> Aviemore  - TBD, not done this bit yet    - 4 days

It's the opposite of a 'money no object'  holiday, total cost for my trip Glagow -> Pitlochry, not including food, was £48.

Post edited at 12:57
Moley 19 Aug 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

I think it would involve very fine wines  and a chauffeur, not sure which country yet but probably European.

Timmd 19 Aug 2019
In reply to Tobes:

> most folk on ukc “yeah global warming is terrible, we must do more to stop it, fly less, reduce our carbon footprint”

> maybe_si “hi everyone, I’ve got some spare time and money, any suggestions for an adventure?”

> ’some’ folk on ukc “ooh, you should go here, fly there, fly here, short haul-long haul!”  

Very good point! I guess cargo ferry would take too long to get to  Iceland, Greenland and Alaska in ten days.

Post edited at 13:02
 Ben_Climber 19 Aug 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

Arctic Trail, Greenland.

On my list for next year

fenski 19 Aug 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

Ski-touring in the Lyngen alps Norway. Amazing!!!

Easter is the perfect time. 

Timmd 19 Aug 2019
In reply to summo:

> Don't you know there is a climate emergency. Best fly around the world umpteen times quickly while we are still allowed. Won't be long before people are flying to Iceland to visit that vanished glaciers memorial. 

My post was from the perspective of not having flown yet by my late 30's, I'm vaguely tempted to go 'f*ck it' and fly to Greenland or Iceland and enjoy it,. I guess the point of principles is that they're not always easy, which is why we value them in others. 

Post edited at 18:20
 jkarran 19 Aug 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

I'd go gliding in the alps. What do you want to do? Do that

jk

OP maybe_si 19 Aug 2019
In reply to jkarran:

Some great suggestions so far!  I have a few ideas of my own, just looking for other ideas as well in case anyone comes up with anything I hadn't thought of or don't know about yet  

In reply to maybe_si:

I think (although I'm soon to be 70, have had a hip replacement, and have failing eyesight - can't see properly in 3D, so can't accurately judge distances to footholds) I'd probably want to climb the Matterhorn, preferably by the Italian route, and with a guide to give it the best chance.

Post edited at 21:02
 LastBoyScout 19 Aug 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

Sky diving course in Spain?

artif 20 Aug 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

Ten days and a big pot of money =

Two days of strippers, drugs and alcohol - followed by eight days of recovery (if done right) 

subtle 20 Aug 2019
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> Try walking from Glasgow to Aviemore in 10 days.

> Milngavie -> Drymen  - first stage of West Highland Way.  1 day

> Drymen -> Pitlochry - Rob Roy Trail  5 days

> Pitlochry -> Aviemore  - TBD, not done this bit yet    - 4 days

> It's the opposite of a 'money no object'  holiday, total cost for my trip Glagow -> Pitlochry, not including food, was £48.

Go to land renowned for its hills and plot a path avoiding them all!

At least at Easter there may not be that many midges.

In reply to subtle:

> Go to land renowned for its hills and plot a path avoiding them all!

Putting a 200km distance walk over the top of the munros is a great idea right up to the point where you discover that climbing munros with a pack full of camping gear is f*cking hard.

> At least at Easter there may not be that many midges.

No midges there last week.  They drowned.

Blue Straggler 20 Aug 2019
In reply to Tobes:

Probably different folk with different strokes 

Jim Fraser 20 Aug 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

Ski.
. . Beer. 

Ski.
. . Beer.

Ski.
. . Beer.

Post edited at 14:36
In reply to maybe_si:

Go to Dahab or Tenerife, do a basic freediving course, and spend the rest of the time freediving. 

In reply to Blue Straggler:

Basic course is three days. 

subtle 20 Aug 2019

> Basic course is three days. 

Three days to errrrrr learn to swim under water

Its like the rise in "wild swimming" - other wise known as going for a dook in a river/loch etc.

stevieb 20 Aug 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

I wanted to suggest Mt Kenya, but apparently April is bang in the rainy season.

In reply to maybe_si:

I find it a bit strange, on a climbing website (this is not UKH), that only about 5 people out of a 100, would want to go for a final climb. All these people wanting to go long-distance walking, surfing, skiing, gliding, kayaking, diving, or even just 'travelling'. Anything but climbing a bit of a rock or mountain, it seems. I'm an absolute old fart when it comes to climbing now, but I'd still want to go out in style. That's why I suggested the Matterhorn. I've got a sneaky feeling I'd manage it, too, despite my ailments, because of my attitude, my huge residue of experience, and the fact that I've kept active, reasonably fit (lots of walking), and put on v little weight.

Doug 20 Aug 2019
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

two of us have suggested Northern Norway for ski mountaineering which would almost certainly include a summit or two

MG 20 Aug 2019

I'd honestly suggest another peak if you do try.  The Hornli ridge is really not a very good climb IMO. - loose, poor line, crowded. (edit, I see you suggest the Italian ridge  - I don't know that).

Post edited at 16:55
In reply to MG:

That's why I said the Italian ridge. There are also lots of other very personal reasons why the Cervin is important to me, dating right back to when I first saw it when I was 16 years old, at the age of 16.

Ah, you pipped me to the post re the Italian ridge. From all accounts, and I've read many, it's a much better, slightly harder, more interesting route on generally better rock. The Zmutt of course is much better again, but a bit harder and a lot more serious ... and much longer. Stephen Venables told me back in the early 90s that he thought it was the very best route of its kind and standard that he'd ever done, particularly the final ridge to the Italian summit.

Post edited at 17:01
 MG 20 Aug 2019

It's certainly a very fine summit, so if the Italian route is better, that would make an excellent climb.  Personally I found Dent d'Herens much more satisfying as it remains remote and unfrequented, and as a consequence less crowded (and cheaper!).  

In reply to MG:

Yeah, Dent d'Herens looks superb, but it's a bit eclipsed by the uniquely grand rock sculpture of the Matterhorn. It's a bit like saying the Zinal Rothorn is superb (which it is ... I did it at the age of 17) ...

> I find it a bit strange, on a climbing website (this is not UKH), that only about 5 people out of a 100, would want to go for a final climb. 

It didn't say anything about 'final' the criteria were you had 10 days to yourself and money was no object.

I love long distance walks, the best thing is you can chuck your stuff in your rucksack, get on a train for a couple of hours and be on holiday in great countryside with no plans or schedules at all beyond taking out your tent when you get tired.

> I find it a bit strange, on a climbing website (this is not UKH), that only about 5 people out of a 100, would want to go for a final climb. 

Why not ask UKC to remove all its sub forums such as Culture Bunker, Cycling, Running, Photography, Off Belay, The Pub etc etc, so it can be sterile and purist. Then you can start on the boulderers and sport climbers and anything to do with an indoor wall....etc. 

Or perhaps read the OP properly

“My first thought was to try and find a few people to go on a Mediterranean sport trip  but then I starting thinking about other options for a trip by myself”

See that “other options” bit? Some people had the imagination to see that as “options beyond climbing” rather than simply “options beyond Mediterranean sport climbing”. 

Post edited at 18:49

> the Cervin is important to me, dating right back to when I first saw it when I was 16 years old, at the age of 16.

How old you were you at that time? 

Oops. That's what comes of an afternoon drink. 16 in 1966.

I don't know where I got the 'final' criterion from. Unless the original post has been reworded. Probably because I simply assumed it couldn't be something so mundane. 

Answer to that question is that I don't think I'd do anything different - I'd just think, wow, a completely free 10 days, without complications, just to get on with what I'm working on creatively. I don't need to go anywhere. If I were 'between projects', which I'm not, I'd probably want to go to some cultural places I've never visited in Europe, like Rome (Sistine Chapel, etc) and Chartres Cathedral ... but I'm not that burnt up by the need to do so. Or I'd go up to the far north-west of Scotland and climb a few of those weird and wonderful summits that got missed out. But, again, not a huge ambition. Or, maybe go across to Cambridge Massachusetts for a week or so, and experience an amazing intellectual hub that I've never been to.

Actually, if it meant that you'd be allowed to do something wildly challenging (as well as expensive), with the best experts to help you ... one huge fantasy I have is conducting a symphony orchestra in the Albert Hall ... I even know what piece I'd want to do (not very long at all, I think about 5-7 minutes), but it might take longer than 10 days to be trained up enough and rehearse it properly. And I'm not sure that anyone would let you do it, however much money you had.

> Actually, if it meant that you'd be allowed to do something wildly challenging (as well as expensive), with the best experts to help you ... one huge fantasy I have is conducting a symphony orchestra in the Albert Hall ... I even know what piece I'd want to do (not very long at all, I think about 5-7 minutes), but it might take longer than 10 days to be trained up enough and rehearse it properly. And I'm not sure that anyone would let you do it, however much money you had.

That's a good one.  I'm not even into music but the idea of conducting a huge orchestra for a few minutes in the Albert Hall is still awesome.   They could make a ton of money selling that 'experience' to rich people

Baron Weasel 20 Aug 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

Hire a nice camper van and go and bag as many sea stacks as possible!

Blue Straggler 21 Aug 2019

>  Probably because I simply assumed it couldn't be something so mundane. 

Gordon, is there really any need to be so unpleasant?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...