UKC

Costa Blanca Car Hire Recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Paul Hy 18 Aug 2019

I've searched but there's not been a recent post on it.  So comment on your to's and fro's. We're planning a trip in early Feb so no rush.

Thanks

Post edited at 21:14
 Mark Eddy 18 Aug 2019
In reply to Paul Hy:

I used Gold Car back in May. Received good, swift service, car was fine and the deal was good. I took out a separate insurance policy back in the UK to avoid the excessive charges that can be levied locally.

Friends have used: https://www.victoriacars.com/spain_car_hire/car_hire_calpe.html - and seem pretty good and friendly.

David Myatt 19 Aug 2019
In reply to Paul Hy:

I’ve used Drivalia for the last three years and found them excellent.

David

mike123 19 Aug 2019
In reply to Paul Hy: Lara car . Not the cheapest but no hidden costs . No post hire rip offs etc. I've used the lots as have several friends and other people on here , never had an issue .

https://laracars.com/

afshapes 19 Aug 2019
In reply to Paul Hy:

I used record go , I think it was called.  Very honest.  We noticed a small hole in one of our indicators,  ended up paying the excess and so on.  When we got back to the UK the missus had a choice mail saying that they had refunded the money as the hole was already there but they forgot to write it up in the rental agreements.  Btw we took photos before leaving the airport but it didn't show so whoever you go with make sure you properly check the car over and take the stickers off!  

In reply to Paul Hy:

Edi Rent A Car was great. Not cheap, but everything included. Meet you with the car at the airport and hand over the keys. 5 minutes in and out. Return you just leave the car in the parking garage. Super friendly and refuelled the car at cost as I was running late.

krikoman 20 Aug 2019
In reply to Mark Eddy:

We used Gold Car and they kicked up a massive fuss about us having our own insurance cover.

Centauro said our banks declined our credit cards last year, when they tried to take the excess cover, which we later found out was a scam. I got away with it because I had two and the second one worked, but a coupe of my mates rang the bank when they got back and were told the payments had been fine, but not put though!

Both of these places were really slow and had massive queue's at Alicante airport

trish1968 20 Aug 2019
In reply to Paul Hy:

We've always used Firefly without any problems. We always have our own waiver insurance.

Post edited at 11:37
 IainMunro 20 Aug 2019
In reply to Paul Hy:

Used Goldcar twice and had a great service both times. We took out a separate excess policy so just had to pay for the car itself which was less than €20 for a week both times (VW Golf first time and Citroen Berlingo second time) 

We travelled in November and May and had no queues

Iain 

BTphonehome 20 Aug 2019
In reply to Paul Hy:

We usually book through the 'Do You Spain' website and select 'on airport' and full/full options to see who comes up cheapest etc. This has served us well over the years with Firefly coming out consistently as the best of the bunch in Alicante and Barcelona both for service and cost - prices often around £10-15 for a week in Jan/Feb! Often a queue but get your partner to go ahead and get a ticket whilst you wait for the luggage and it'll work out fine.

Everyone will have had positive and negative experiences with many of the companies listed on the site. (FWIW I won't use Goldcar again).

You can mitigate a lot of the hard sell and hassle at the desk by considering purchasing an annual insurance policy to cover the excess in the event of an accident as others have mentioned. These come in at around £40.

Have used the above site many times as cheap/convenient are my main priorities so if you're the same then I'm sure if you check closer to your dates you'll find a bargain.

Caveat - The 'B' word may change all of the above by the time of your trip. We're heading out in November so guess we'll know more then!

Luke_92 21 Aug 2019
In reply to Paul Hy:

We used Centauro last January, from Alicante Airport. 

Great car, easy service (although we collected at 11pm or so, so queues weren't an issue) and check in was equally easy. 

nikoid 21 Aug 2019
In reply to Luke_92:

Yep used Centauro loads, not the cheapest but never had problems and no big queues at the desk.

JMarkW 21 Aug 2019
In reply to mike123:

> Lara car . Not the cheapest but no hidden costs . No post hire rip offs etc. I've used the lots as have several friends and other people on here , never had an issue .

another vote for these guys

Trangia 21 Aug 2019
In reply to Paul Hy:

Had terrible experience with Gold Car. Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole

OP Paul Hy 05 Sep 2019
In reply to JMarkW:

I've used Lara cars twice and also had no probs.  will be looking at them if nothing else compares.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...