UKC

PRESS RELEASE: The Nest - New climbing wall in Hayes, West London

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 19 Aug 2019
Climbing The Nest is set to open in September 2019 and will be London's newest climbing wall. Based in the iconic Old Vinyl Factory, Hayes the centre brings a new breed of climbing gym to the capital. At the heart of the building will be a full height 70m unbroken bouldering wall. A fully equipped gym and  fitness studio will provide a well-rounded fitness experience, whilst the workspace and cafe will be the perfect space to get inspired, or relax with a coffee.

Read more
 Lord_ash2000 19 Aug 2019
In reply to UKC Gear:

I know you mentioned a cooling system in there but I'd be very concerned about those floor to ceiling windows turning the place into a greenhouse in summer. Warms temps + bouldering don't mix. 

If it does turn into a sweat box you should be able to cover over the windows easily enough though.

Owen W-G 19 Aug 2019

West London has a surplus of bouldering venues now. 

Westway, Arch Acton, Parsons Green, Harrowall, Ravencourt Park wall, and now Hayes. 

I hope they drive the prices down.

seankenny 19 Aug 2019
In reply to Owen W-G:

> West London has a surplus of bouldering venues now. 

> Westway, Arch Acton, Parsons Green, Harrowall, Ravencourt Park wall, and now Hayes. 

> I hope they drive the prices down.

Unlikely, as even tho I live in West London, how often would I/do I go to Hayes? Once every five years at a stretch...

Iamgregp 19 Aug 2019
In reply to seankenny:

Yeah I think this one will more draw in people from outside London (Slough, Maidenhead etc) rather than people from West London generally.  Hayes is pretty far from the others.

That said, there are a lot of bouldering places opening/open in London particularly in the West.  I wonder if we're in a bit of a boom right now and I wonder if some might close down if there's a bit of a shrink after the boom?

ClimberEd 19 Aug 2019
In reply to Iamgregp:

I hope people might open climbing centres rather than bouldering centres. 

Another top notch place to lead would be great.

Iamgregp 19 Aug 2019
In reply to ClimberEd:

Agree 100%  - I really think there enough demand for another good routes venue in London.

It's so frustrating to see more and more bouldering centres opening, but venues with routes (particularly lead walls) are still really limited in London.

I can see why that's the case though, so many people are getting into bouldering now, and you don't need a tall building to house the wall so it's a lot easier to find suitable premises for boulders rather than routes...

Post edited at 13:52
 Oceanrower 19 Aug 2019
In reply to ClimberEd:

You find a suitable buildng and I guarantee you that not only will you get a wall, you'll get a finders fee too!

Iamgregp 19 Aug 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

There was an old cinema just round the corner from me, huge old 30's place, loads of height, loads of car parking spaces, local pub...  It had the lot.

It's now been let and and is one of those bouncey trampoline places.  

Waiting for it to go out of business so I can swoop in.  

(please bear in mind this is all a pipedream, I have no knowledge on how the hell to run a business) 

ClimberEd 19 Aug 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

Okay but as an example this is what I see as the problem., it's not W London but near enough.

High Wycombe (Handy Cross) sports centre has recently had a huge revamp and broadly it has been done exceptionally well. They have the space and the height and they have built some token walls, and outsourced the running to High Sport (I think). 

Quite frankly it is turd. It is aimed at kids, parties, and adults who want to 'give it a go', and not at regular climbers at all. I am sure they would dispute this but as an experienced climber who walks past it frequently (to go the pool) that is my strong opinion. 

They could easily have done a much better job.

duncan 19 Aug 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

North rather than west London:

https://strettons.co.uk/property-search/commercial/property/22291/former-ar...

Ideal for a lead wall. You can give me free membership for life (or until I move).

Jim Titt will be disappointed to learn there can be no sale of alcohol. 

thepodge 19 Aug 2019
In reply to ClimberEd:

> It is aimed at kids, parties, and adults who want to 'give it a go'

That's where the money is, regular climbers don't pay the bills.

jimtitt 19 Aug 2019
In reply to duncan:

> North rather than west London:

> Ideal for a lead wall. You can give me free membership for life (or until I move).

> Jim Titt will be disappointed to learn there can be no sale of alcohol. 

Bloody Methodists, expect smiling and laughing isn't allowed either

Iamgregp 19 Aug 2019
In reply to duncan:

Jesus.  Bloody brilliant!  It's got it all hasn't it?  Height, location, close to tube, beautiful building, natural light from that roof...

Anyone got any money?

ClimberEd 19 Aug 2019
In reply to thepodge:

> That's where the money is, regular climbers don't pay the bills.

Yes, but that doesn't really make it a useful facility for 'climbers' does it?!

Oceanrower 19 Aug 2019
In reply to duncan:

Already looked at it about a year ago. The supporting structure inside the pillars is steel and VERY rusty. Needs about £3m repairs before you start...

Post edited at 17:11
 Iamgregp 19 Aug 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

Ah shame, I guess that's the reason why it's been standing empty for at least the last 10 years...

jimtitt 19 Aug 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

> Already looked at it about a year ago. The supporting structure inside the pillars is steel and VERY rusty. Needs about £3m repairs before you start...

Don't think I've seen or heard of a converted building for a lead wall in Germany for several decades, all the new ones are purpose built designs on industrial/trading estates nowadays. Access, parking and no constraints on the design.

Sam Hunter 20 Aug 2019
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

Hi Lord_ash2000

We've been fitting out the unit for 3 months now and it's stayed really cool even without the system running yet. The building itself is really well insulated, but also does not receive direct sunlight  through those windows which means we get plenty of light but it isn't too hot.

Hope you see you down at the centre when we open

Cheers,

Sam

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...