UKC

Rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
emfilipa6 22 Aug 2019

Hey,

So I've been climbing a few years and always used my partners rope for trips. Sadly it got taken off us in Istanbul airport this summer and I've got a trip coming up soon and want to buy a new rope. Living in the Middle East means I need to order online and I want some advice on a suitable one for me. It will mainly be for single pitch sport climbs, though we are keen on multi-pitch and trad when we have the chance. 

I primarily use a GriGri for belaying, if that's of any importance. 

So far I have looked into Ocun Spirit 9.5 70m - I read the UKC review for it and it sounds like it would be ideal for my needs. When I went to buy it from a site, it said "- Ideal for competition climbers" and made me question myself. Is it because it's lightweight and easy to handle? Or is it not really a rope I should be using?

Another option is the Beal Zenith 9.5 70m which is available on an online store in the ME, so shipping would be easy. 

I'm open to other suggestions/advice. Thanks!

PaulW 22 Aug 2019
In reply to emfilipa6:

Don't overthink it. A rope is not a lifetime purchase, it will wear out and need replacing.

Some ropes might be slightly better than others for certain applications but generally they just work.

Make sure you get the right length for the routes you plan to do.

"Generally" thicker means harder wearing, heavier and possibly more awkward to handle

Thinner means lighter and more prone to tangles.

For me I buy from established manufactures. I don't like looking down before a crux move thinking "i'm glad I bought the budget rope"

Iamgregp 22 Aug 2019
In reply to emfilipa6:

There's a roundup here - https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/climbing/ropes/mid-range_sport_ropes-8722 little old now but should be a good guide for what there is in terms of some brands and what their pros and cons are.... 

Personally I love my Petzl contact 9.8, handles lovely...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...