UKC

ARTICLE: Iraq's First Mountaineering and Climbing School

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 26 Aug 2019
Iraq's first climbing school. Milosz Pierwola writes about the birth of climbing and mountaineering in Iraq, and the efforts that his group of enthusiasts have made in founding the country's first outdoor education centre...

Imagine taking the entire history of Alpinism and compressing it into just one decade. This is what is happening in Iraq right now with a culture that is only just beginning to discover the sport. From the first recreational ascents by Iraqi nationals, to the invention of gear and tools made by hand without access to modern equipment, to spectacular ascents guiding disabled people to the country's highest summits, mountain climbing is exploding onto the scene.

Read more
In reply to UKC Articles:

Well, that's cool. I'd happily donate them some old but safe gear, unfortunately can't find a link to do so on the linked website.

Iggy_B 30 Aug 2019

A bit too late possibly, but I am travelling to Erbil, Kurdish Iraq, with work on Sunday morning. If anyone wants to donate some kit I will be at Wiltonfest tomorrow and can take it and donate. If you want to drop off in Bolton that could also be arranged.

Iain

(Whatsapp07989903349 )

matthc 04 Sep 2019

Very encouraging to hear that peoples efforts are paying off, congratulations!. I still have fond memories of climbing with some of the team in December 2017 at Hazer Merd. We have now been running climbing training for refugees and IDPs with STEP for almost two years, and we are learning a lot. Kurdistan has so much to offer for climbers - so many new routes, so many mountains. As peaceful times have a chance to embed themselves in the region, I hope we'll see a lot more climbers heading out here.

David55 05 Sep 2019
In reply to Iggy_B:

Iain has successfully delivered the stuff we collected: a grigri and  3 belay devices, half a dozen krabs, about a dozen nuts and  3 small cams. Not a lot but we hope it will help.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...