UKC

Bolt on Holds on an exterior structure ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 30 Aug 2019

Hope this is the right place as it's outdoors not indoors . We ( me and the kids ) are building an outdoor " fort " type thing . It's fairly substantial and the kids have asked to put some holds on it much as many kids play parks have a selection of holds scattered about them. I have a bucket of holds and some t nuts but only only a handful of suitable countersunk m10 bolts . My main question is wether it's worth using stainless steel m10 s ( the cheapest I can find are £4.20 ) ? I haven't had a look at the local parks but I doubt wether they bother with stainless ? The next thing is therefore where is a good  cheap source of suitable m10 bolts ? Also any thoughts or experiences of doing this in general ? Thanks .

Post edited at 09:02
 Jon Greengrass 30 Aug 2019
In reply to mike123:

I lot of playground equipment now uses stainless steel fasteners, and has properly designed connections using plastic washers and sleeves to prevent bimetallic corrosion between dissimilar metals. I put a cheap see-saw made of painted tubular steel held together regular bright zinc plated bolts in our garden on the Moray coast it lasted 2 years before it was rusted through in places.

kylos8048 30 Aug 2019
In reply to mike123:

The t-nuts are probably only zinc coated steel anyway?

It's more a question of how long you want it to last. You'll get bolts cheaper at a local building merchant rather than a big DIY store. £4.20 per bolt is ridiculous even for s/s.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...