UKC

Rab Merino 160 Hoodie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I like Rab stuff. My ancient Rab zipped mid layer needs replacing, and I fancied the merino 160 hoodie but it looks to be no longer manufactured. Anyone selling one (large), or able to suggest a similar alternative?

Graeme G 31 Aug 2019
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

Im just about to sell my Rab Aeon Plus Zip Tee. Large in burgundy. Like this one....

http://pennineranger.blogspot.com/2013/12/review-rab-aeon-plus-zip-tee-base...

In reply to Graeme G:

That's what I'm about to retire. Thought I'd try the merino mix for a change, and a hood, ta. 

Graeme G 31 Aug 2019

No probs. Was worth a try 😀

TobyA 31 Aug 2019

I've got one (I've used it enough to make me doubt anyone in their right mind would want to buy it second hand!). It's fine but not that special - not particularly warm, not particularly light and so on. I tend not to use it for serious mountain days i.e. winter climbing. If you want a light zipped midlayer with a hood, I really really rate the Alpkit Griffon https://www.alpkit.com/products/griffon-hoody-mens Compared to how much hooded, light gridded fleeces from the likes of Patagonia and ME cost, the Griffons are great.

In reply to TobyA:

Hmm. That's an interesting thing, might try one on. Thanks.

I probably should have said half-zipped mid-weight base layer to be correct!

TobyA 31 Aug 2019

The full length zip is actually really good, particularly in the warmer months when you are putting it on and taking it off more regularly. I have a similar hoody with a half zip from mountain equipment co-op in Canada which is also very good but now with the Alpkit one, I decided that full length zips are not uncomfortable even under a harness or rucksack waist belt and make putting the middle layer on and taking it off easier.

In reply to TobyA:

I've killed a few synthetic tops with permanent armpit stink. How's the Alpkit one for that?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...