UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: Torridon: A proper jacket we're proper proud of

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 05 Sep 2019
Winter 2019 sees us relaunch the Torridon, built around our 'Function First' ethos and two years in the making this pinnacle piece in our hill walking collection takes inspiration from its 90's predecessor, but with a modern twist.

Read more
 Timmd 05 Sep 2019
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

It's good to see the main zip has a flap to cover it.

In reply to Timmd:

I spotted it in the side panel and thought 'wow, that's proper retro'...

In the days when I obsessively made lists of kit from suppliers catalogues, and had a database of it on my Psion 3A, the little icon I created to identify my outdoor kit databases was probably based on the Torridon.

Post edited at 18:55
In reply to Timmd:

Personally I'd prefer a waterproof zip  

Timmd 06 Sep 2019
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Maybe I'm retro, or cautious, but I like a storm flap so that if the zip fails the jacket can still hold together, and not become a flapping thing in the wind. 

Post edited at 01:19

Nice to see a jacket with hand pockets

Siward 06 Sep 2019

Gosh I had one of the originals for years until, old and worn, it was stolen from my car. It never let me down. 

Naechi 06 Sep 2019

How many rounds of the Munros do you need to bag to inflict those colours on your friends? 

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/winter_climbing/does_your_clothing_match_...

Also "a proper jacket"? Are other Sprayway jackets not proper or functional first? Im pretty sure marketing is broken...

Post edited at 10:35
 Ramblin dave 06 Sep 2019
In reply to Naechi:

> Also "a proper jacket"? Are other Sprayway jackets not proper or functional first? Im pretty sure marketing is broken...

I've another Sprayway jacket - can't remember which - and it seems fairly legit. But this does seem like a nice reversal of the last few years' trend of marketing jackets designed for fast-and-light alpinism at British hillwalkers because looking dynamic and exciting and sporty is more important than actually having appropriate features for the activity and the conditions.

"It's cut high so it doesn't interfere with my harness!"
"Do you often wear a harness to stomp around the Mamores in the rain?"
"No, I just get a wet arse..."

In reply to Ramblin dave:

Plus, of course, cutting the bottom third off is an easy way to reduce the so important headline figure of weight.

Dave the Rave 06 Sep 2019
In reply to Timmd:

You know I’m there with you Timmd.

I got excited thinking that this coat was being re released. Imagine my disappointment/(. Apparently, they put storm flaps on the inside now((

Timmd 07 Sep 2019
In reply to Dave the Rave:

They're on the inside, and the outside too. 

Fishmate 07 Sep 2019
In reply to captain paranoia:

> I spotted it in the side panel and thought 'wow, that's proper retro'...

The very reason I could barely wait for 80's/90's colour options to pass on by. I value function over form but whilst the women's is passable, the men's is so dull. Perhaps it reminds me of the Wimbledon tennis colours?

I'm sure it's a fine jacket but the single colour rather puts in the 'marmite' category, which is odd from a marketing perspective, given the company's aim is to increase market share.

Let's hope it proves good enough to allow them to expand their range. The more reasons people have to buy local/ish brands, perhaps the better..

In reply to Timmd:

Interesting, never given zip failure a moments thought. I guess in a select few situations that could be quite dangerous. I prefer a waterproof zip but can't argue with your logic.

FreeloaderJoe 18 Sep 2019

Shut up and take my money

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...