UKC

Camping/Cheap accomodation in or near Montserrat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ridgeback94 06 Sep 2019

My partner and I are planning a three week trip to Montserrat in October and are looking at accomodation offers. There seems to be a climbers campsite near the Monastery but I am struggling to find any more information about it. 

Has anyone stayed there before and knows how much it is per night, do you need to prebook etc.? 

Would also appreciate any other suggestions for good places to stay. 

elliptic 06 Sep 2019
In reply to ridgeback94:

Spent a week there fifteen years ago, we just turned up off the bus. Basic facilities but perfectly adequate, there was restaurant at the monastery where you could get evening meals. No idea whether it's changed at all since then though, sorry!

steve taylor 08 Sep 2019
In reply to elliptic:

> Spent a week there fifteen years ago, we just turned up off the bus. Basic facilities but perfectly adequate, there was restaurant at the monastery where you could get evening meals. No idea whether it's changed at all since then though, sorry!

Same for me, but more like 30 years ago. If the campsite is still there, it was fantastic and has views to die for...

steve taylor 08 Sep 2019
In reply to ridgeback94:

According to google the campsite is still there... search for "Camping montserrat".

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 08 Sep 2019
In reply to ridgeback94:

The camping at Montserrat only use to be open in the summer season, not sure of the current situation,

Chris

In reply to ridgeback94:

The owner was called Marcel Millet, I climbed with him back in the days.

I don't know who runs it now

In reply to ridgeback94:

There are also  a couple of huts, one in St Benet (long walk) and Sta Cecilia (road acces)

IPPurewater 06 Oct 2019
In reply to Dago theruinmargalef:

I've stayed at the hut at Sta Cecilia about 20 years ago. It was manned, fairly basic but clean with running water and a shower. I think you could buy a meal there, but you could also self cater.

St Benet, we walked up to. If I recall correctly there was no running water and no loos. On that occaision it had been left in a right state. Of course it may have been done up since.

The campsite was fine on the same trip 20 years ago. Don't know if it open this time of year. I think there are also rooms available at the monastery.

g1m147 06 Oct 2019
In reply to ridgeback94:

There is an artists retreat just before you get into El Bruc, called can serrat. It has basic rooms, a shared kitchen and showers etc. Just a small sign on the right of the road showing the way. I've stayed there a couple of times. You can't pre book though. Just turn up and ask. If they have a room available, they let climbers and walkers stay.

janegallwey 06 Oct 2019
In reply to ridgeback94:

Campsite was open last year easterish, don’t think there is any way to prebook, we just showed up.

It’s got the best views in the world.

Think it was about a fiver a night. 

Good luck getting anything other than a very economy rental car in there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...