UKC

ARTICLE: The Langdale HVS 3 Star Round in a Day

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 10 Sep 2019
Topping out on Pavey Ark after an earlier recce. Like many great ideas, this started as a really bad idea. Last summer's amazing weather in the Lakes meant that shaded crags were suddenly, and unusually, much in demand. This led to several visits to Neckband Crag, a location that I had previously dismissed as probably being cold and dirty, but which turned out to be a shaded gift for the HVS to E2 leader; namely somebody like me. While looking at Mithrandir and Glorfindel on UKC, I stumbled across Lakesben's logbook tick list 'Langdale HVS 3-star round – climb them all in a single day' and the seed of a really bad idea was planted.

Read more
 Martin Bennett 10 Sep 2019
In reply to UKC Articles:

They did well. Without any prior research me and my pal Gunar conceived the idea of doing a similar thing in The Golden Rule one night in 1982. Next day we set off, unfortunately without an early start, with solos of Split Boulder, Lower Scout and Upper Scout then roped up (of course) for Laugh Not. On Pavey we did Troll's Corner (because neither of us had done it before) and on Gimmer we did Poacher for the same reason.

Then we discovered what a l-o-n-g way it is, especially when you're in a hurry, from Gimmer to the Bowfell crags and began to run out of steam on arrival there. Our intent to do an HVS or above there foundered and we compromised by moving together on Bowfell Buttress instead, still intending to get Neckband in. Maybe we had enough daylight; maybe not, but we'll never know because our bodies and minds decided it was the ODG next and so our plan had failed. The day however had certainly not been a failure but a very memorable one.

C Witter 10 Sep 2019

Sounds like a grand outing! And a solid challenge. Laugh Not does look a bit sobering for HVS... though I've not dared try it yet! Well done

alan moore 10 Sep 2019

Nice one! Sounds like a great but hard day.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 10 Sep 2019

That's a mighty big day out.

Many years ago me and Binky did Man of Straw, Haste Not Direct, Chimney Variant, Cruel Sister, Poker Face, Intern and Gimmer String before the ODG called. The most surprising thing about the day was that he had a pair of odd Hanwag boots that he wore the whole day, walking, climbing and in the boozer too,

Chris

chrisru 12 Sep 2019

So that's what you get up to neighbour of mine, very nicely written article Huw and well done, makes me tired reading about it.

Chris @ No 12

Jeremy Wilson 12 Sep 2019

Well done both!!  What an awesome day out  - not bad at your ages.  What a great reminder too of the wealth of fabulous climbing we have in the Lakes.

IggyLiz 13 Sep 2019

What a great challenge, one that Chris the Tall would definitely have considered, just up his street so to speak.

Exile 13 Sep 2019
In reply to Jeremy Wilson:

You and Coxy should put it on your to-do list for next Summer Jeremy - eminently doable.

Combined age of 103 for us, but surly you boys can beat that!?!

Huw

Lakesben 13 Sep 2019

Congratulations Huw and Clive and a brilliant write up on the day.

I created the ticklist a couple of years ago after doing the 3* Langdale VSs in a day but have yet to complete it so hats off to you both on a great effort.

Exile 13 Sep 2019
In reply to Lakesben:

Thanks Ben. How long did the VS round take you?

Lakesben 14 Sep 2019
In reply to Exile:

About 12.5 hours for the VS round I think. I haven't measured it but I guess the distance is shorter because it's all on the same side of the valley (no 3* VS on Neckband)

Plus you don't have to climb Laugh Not which makes it significantly easier!

Post edited at 15:46
 Exile 14 Sep 2019
In reply to Lakesben:

A great effort though - more pitches and more up and down the same crag(s) needed, 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...