UKC

Harness tie in

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Any suggestions on how to tie in on a bite of rope? 

Normally do a fig 8 and use a caribiner,  any other ways?

Alex Riley 14 Sep 2019
In reply to Northernladlovesgravy:

Rethreaded overhand on a bight, usually with the tail clipped back with a screw gate.

Suncream 14 Sep 2019

If tying in to the middle of a team of three, I use an alpine butterfly to a screwgate

Cake 14 Sep 2019

If the leader has used both ends and they are therefore above you, a double rethreaded figure of eight direct to the harness is easier to untie than an overhand knot

john arran 14 Sep 2019
In reply to Cake:

... and a bowline on the bight even easier to untie, so that's what I would use on the very rare occasion I find myself in that situation. If I don't have enough tails to tie a proper stopper I'll clip the loop end into my belay loop, but usually it's fine.

duchessofmalfi 14 Sep 2019
In reply to john arran:

If you have to tie in the middle and don't have a spare screw gate make the bight really big (>2m) and the knot really loose (overhand is best for this).  Then larksfoot yourself to the bight by putting it though your belay loop and passing the loop over your body.  Then adjust the knot to get the size of bight you need.

deepsoup 15 Sep 2019
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

If you're going to step through a bight and re-adjust anyway, it's just as easy to tie into a bowline on the bight.  Clean, simple, bomber.  The only downside is the need to step through a 'skipping rope' bight.

Neil Williams 15 Sep 2019

> Normally do a fig 8 and use a caribiner,  any other ways?

Only ever done that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...