UKC

ARTICLE: Crag Notes: A Grey Seal's Memory

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 18 Sep 2019
Crag Notes - A Grey Seals Memory In this month's Crag Note Nick Bullock takes time to reacquaint himself with North Stack Gogarth, a crag he's shared an intimate connection with for over 20 years.

Read more
 pneame 18 Sep 2019
In reply to UKC Articles:

Lovely essay. It's been a lot longer than 20 years since I was last at Wen Zawn, but it took me back. 

SuperstarDJ 19 Sep 2019

Really nice piece.  I just finished 'Tides' by Nick Bullock and thought it was an excellent book - even better than 'Echoes'.  Recommended.

Thanks for publishing this UKC - I'm looking forward to the next one in the series already.

David

alan moore 19 Sep 2019

Liked that.

It is an odd sensation to go back again. I have severable places, Ramshaw Rocks, Baggy Point, Cwm Idwal, where I try to stop by periodically and touch base; just to make sure they are still there. Once it was a two hour detour just to scramble round the paths at Ramshaw in the gathering dusk with my sons. Didn't climb anything but it remains one of my great climbing memories.

Last week my Dad and I returned to Cwm Silyn which must truly remain unchanged since our last visit to Outside Edge on dark January day  30 years ago. To demonstrate how we'd moved on we shivered our way up Kirkus's Route, feeding the hireath as the white clouds sped past. Now Fayther tells me, after consulting his diaries, that he had already done Kirkus's, linked up with The Crucible a mere 14 years ago and had completely forgotten it! Which shows what a fickle friend memory is. (Although he is 75 and has an excuse of sorts).

The Sunday morning was sodden but we made the pilgrimage into Cwm Idwal and up to the slabs. Putting down our lattes from the new tea shack (no bacon and egg anymore) we scrambled up a ways, just to lay hands on the great, streaming quartz friezes one more time.

Its better to go forward, but sometimes it's nice to go back.

crashnodrog 19 Sep 2019

'and as the memories of movement fade, these places that have shaped us; their smells, sounds and landscapes, these things remain'

And it is not just the memories of movement that fade when you reach a certain age. When movement itself fades, the smells, the sounds and the landscapes take on more importance and meaning. Just being in that environment will bring back memories of youth.

Dan Moore 28 Sep 2019

Last year, after the lovely Zylo introduced me to Nick, I went away with one thing on my mind: North Stack Wall. Almost a year later, towards the end of another 'expedition home', I found myself abbing into that very zawn, attached to some nuts wedged under a loose rock wall, the wind buffeting me, crapping my pants. There was that grey sail, floating on its back, looking up through his onyx eyes with an air of mild intrigue. What could he be thinking? Or she. Descending the line, I turned my head to the right. No. Way. There it was. The Bells peg! I wondered how Nick must have felt as he whipped onto it! 

Pants filling up, I oggled gear options on my own chosen line, tested the holds and worked out where the route roughly lead. Jugging back over the edge, I found my prospective belayer who, naturally, I'd just met, lying in the grass being tossed about by the gusts. It was much nicer yesterday, I shouted. Maybe we should come back? 

Indecision gripped me. I felt lost. Until I came up with a plan to trick myself. Resetting the ab rope several metres to the left I said, Lets just ab with the ropes and chill out down there, it's probably nicer at the bottom. If I don't feel good we can always jug out again. 

As I touched down, another, invisible seal lounging on a rock nearby promptly belched at me. Too lazy to flop away, he made a rough inspection, then lay back down flat on his back with a slap and a deep, steamy, resentful sigh. That's the life. 

My heart was fluttering. So I walked barefoot over the rocks, feeling their salt-sand clag and slimy dampness; the odd barnacle scratching my skin. Near the back of the zawn, where the tides don't quite reach, was a fat white lump of baby seal. It yapped, high pitched like a puppy, to its mum floating out on the waves. All life was down here. A functioning society. Simple, and effective. I thought about ours, waiting for me at the top of the cliff. Yikes. 

It still didn't feel like the right time. But as I walked back to our pile of ropes and gear at the base of the climb I went into autopilot and simply racked up. I don't want to jug again. I'd rather just go climbing. That's all it came down to - a kind of dull, twisted laziness. After placing a low nut, I started into a layback, and ripped the first hold right out of the wall. Luckily I had most of my weight on the rail below and recovered, then simply tried again, this time reaching the first good cam. 

Unconscious then. Loving the movement. The sea air. Feeling my way. Until the end. Blinking salty half-thoughts away, and gently rolling my eyes, I imagined looking up from the water's surface at this strange, two-toned creature scaling the cliff, with a mild intrigue. Then I pulled up over the top, chased by that belligerent wind. 

As my trusted belayer and friend of 3 days followed me phocid-like onto the cliff top, he repeated the words, "I can't believe you just climbed that". But all I could think was “The Bells! The bloody Bells!”

To Nick (you nutter). You move on. You forget. But your story never stops. Thanks for the inspiration.

Post edited at 20:32
 Mick Ward 28 Sep 2019
In reply to Dan Moore:

Wow - brilliant!

Mick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...