UKC

How green is my Gardom?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NBR 22 Sep 2019

Should be in The Peak in mid October and was thinking about Gardoms for a change, anyone know how green it is at the momment and if its likely to be worth it?

Cheers.

LakesWinter 22 Sep 2019
In reply to NBR:

Its always fine on almost all the routes. The green thing isnt really true imho.

Eye of faith, rhythmic itch, apple arete area, moyers, nowanda area all fine even in winter

Jon Stewart 22 Sep 2019
In reply to NBR:

If it's just rained, you'll want to find somewhere more exposed and quick drying. If it's been dry, it'll be fine.

The popular routes will always be fine once dry. If you want to climb something that hasn't been done in years and is covered in green lichen, you'll need to clean it anyway.

OP NBR 22 Sep 2019
In reply to NBR:

Cheers lads.

Haven't climbed there for years only got back into properly climbing/leading outdoors this spring. Thought the classics like Apple Arete, Moyers Butress etc might be a nice.

Paul Hy 22 Sep 2019
In reply to NBR:

Was at Gardoms on Thurs, hadnt been for a few years, in the last year or so about 20 trees in the Apple Arete area have been felled and the place isnt green at all now and the views are great even from ground level let alone from the top. i remember from last visit that Nowanda area was also good.  

Post edited at 15:25
 Simon Caldwell 22 Sep 2019
In reply to NBR:

We were there yesterday. The most popular areas (Apple Arete, Elliott's, etc) are all clean. Slightly less popular but still starred areas (Moyer's Climb, Byne's Crack) were green and damp (wet in the case of Byne's) despite it having been dry for almost a week. I suspect a combination of dew and trees made it damp - by October the leaves should have fallen so it might dry out quicker.

Everywhere seemed to have a lot more heather than I remember from previous visits, even the cracked slab right of Apple Arete had lots (but now has slightly less!).

mcdougal 22 Sep 2019
In reply to NBR:

I feel you're not getting full credit for the thread title. Have a like. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...