UKC

Light(er) weight multi-day mountain packs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan M 26 Sep 2019

Can anyone suggest an up to 50-55L pack for multi-day mountain routes ideally a 40+10 or 45+10L etc.

Recently come back from a 5 day mountain trip (carrying all gear, tent and food for 5 days).  My current pack Deuter Guide 45+ is great, robust, comfortable and compact but it's heavy (in my opinion).

Looking for a pack that is considerably lighter but still as comfortable and compact.

Can anyone suggest anything?

If possible I would like to keep the side access zip and ability to split the pack in to two compartments like the Deuter.

Thanks

HeMa 26 Sep 2019
In reply to Alan M:

The lighter you go, the less confortable it will be.

That being said, something like GraniteGear Virga is available in 55l size and considering it's weight it's really confortable. But under a heavy load, less so.

OP Alan M 26 Sep 2019
In reply to HeMa:

> The lighter you go, the less confortable it will be.

> That being said, something like GraniteGear Virga is available in 55l size and considering it's weight it's really confortable. But under a heavy load, less so.

That is something that I am conscious of as the Deuter Guide is probably the best fitting and most comfortable pack I have owned when fully loaded.  I'll check out the GraniteGear though I have never heard of them before.

HeMa 26 Sep 2019
In reply to Alan M:

They're quite popular with those ultralight hikers (in the states), so the brand is not that well known here.

It has not frame, so you need to pack it carefully and place a sleeping mat or something folded nicely at the back for some paddin'.

Wainers44 26 Sep 2019
In reply to Alan M:

I use the Deuter pack same as you. Its mega comfortable and feels built to last. I have focused on getting the kit inside it as light as possible and that seems to work well. I don't think I will be changing the pack anytime soon. 

OP Alan M 26 Sep 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

> I use the Deuter pack same as you. Its mega comfortable and feels built to last. I have focused on getting the kit inside it as light as possible and that seems to work well. I don't think I will be changing the pack anytime soon. 

It is a great pack.  That's the other option but expensive in terms of the main items sleeping bag, tent etc. Though, I do have a number of items that are old and could be replaced.

stratandrew 26 Sep 2019
In reply to HeMa:

> The lighter you go, the less confortable it will be.

Maybe. Perhaps this is true most of the time but a few manufacturers have bucked this. Sacs by Crux AK47X 47+5 (1240gram) or AK 57 fit the OP's size criteria and are good for up to 16 to 18 kg IMHO. The slightly bigger AK 70 (1550gram) is good for hauling 25 to 30kg. All available in 3 back lengths. Not cheap. But they are virtually indestructible.

HeMa 27 Sep 2019
In reply to stratandrew:

> Maybe. Perhaps this is true most of the time but a few manufacturers have bucked this. Sacs by Crux AK47X 47+5 (1240gram)...

But 1.2 kg is hardly 'light'... The Virga 2 (between 50 to 58l, depending on the 3 back sizes it cames in) is around 0.5 to 0.6 kg. And good upto ~12kg or so (at least that's what I carried comfortably).

Arc'Teryx Alpha FL 45 (which is might be a tad too small for the OP, if he also doesn't upgrade the 'big things' first), weighs in at 0.6kg.

And a more suited Alpha AR 55 is in the same ball park as the Crux (~1.2 kg or so). But does have more bells and features.

That being said, the I do know that people have been rather happy with their Crux sacks, but from their range, I'd prolly suggest the RK50 (1.1 kg). The main difference to the more lighter weight options is the fabric on the Crux-sacks, so they'll be less prone to wear.

StevieH 27 Sep 2019
In reply to Alan M:

Have you had a look at Atompacks. Built to your specifications in Keswick Cumbria.

Not going to be cheap but you will get what YOU want.

Andypeak 27 Sep 2019
In reply to StevieH:

I've got an Atompacks bag for backpacking. It certainly wasn't cheap but I have to say it is blooming marvelous. Under kilo for a 55l bag and can comfortably carry 20kg plus. 

galpinos 27 Sep 2019
In reply to HeMa:

> Arc'Teryx Alpha FL 45 (which is might be a tad too small for the OP, if he also doesn't upgrade the 'big things' first), weighs in at 0.6kg.

But it's a 33L sac that extends to 45L so probably a bit small?

On a silimilar line is the ME Tupilak 45+:

https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/tupilak-45

which is 45L that extends to 50 odd @~800g?

MischaHY 27 Sep 2019
In reply to Alan M:

Osprey Levity 60l. Weighs 850g, is really comfy and still has the features necessary for a decent pack. It's immense! 

OwenM 27 Sep 2019
In reply to Alan M:

I'm another that wouldn't hesitate to recommend Atompack really fantastic sacks.

damowilk 28 Sep 2019
In reply to Alan M:

In the search for a new mountaineering pack, I went with the Bergans Helium Pro 55. 

Its not ultralight, about 1.3kg, but about as light as I’d want to go for ski touring and mountaineering and still have the features I want.

I’m very happy with it: very comfortable and the variable length shoulder straps are a great bonus. It’s got a huge separate front pocket with space for Avi gear, crampons, skins etc. It has a good double ice axe system for tech tools. If I’m being picky I’d prefer integral hip pockets and an exterior helmet carrier.

Some of the packs mentioned here I personally wouldn’t use for mountaineering, like the Osprey Levity. Too flimsy, and get quickly overwhelmed by a larger load.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...