UKC

The Jennifer Arcuri affair

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 26 Sep 2019

So at first I thought Boris was just having another bit on the side with this "business woman" who happens to have a dancing Pole in her flat (presumably for "technology lessons"), but it seems that this in itself is just the fun bit of the story.

Yesterday we learn her company was awarded £100K grant for UK only businesses. She was not living here at the time, and the only UK trace of company activity is the address lodged with companies house and a UK phone number. (update found. Apparently they've reregistered to a virtual office in London as of yesterday https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/26/jennifer-arcuri-hacker-hou...)

Boris appeared at events for this company for free as a Keynote speaker (His normal fee is in the 100K bracket). Notably a number of his co speakers have links to Breitbart, Bannon and Farage. That in itself is probably not corrupt but proves links going back as far as 2012.

And now we find it's not just Johnson that's got his nose in the trough. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/26/state-fund-jennifer-arcuri... 

I think this will run and run and prove much more than just a sordid affair.

Post edited at 21:30
 MonkeyPuzzle 26 Sep 2019
In reply to balmybaldwin:

It stinks f*cking stinks f*cking stinks f*cking stinks. This is becoming the "new normal".

HakanT 26 Sep 2019

When this first surfaced, I said to myself “I know that name”. Checked my LinkedIn and yes, we’re connected. I remember meeting her at a social media event at one of the big media agencies back when social was the hottest thing going. I remember thinking two things: she doesn’t really get the industry and she is a complete bullsh1t artist. I can definitely see how her and Boris can get on like a house on fire.

Clauso 26 Sep 2019

Dancing Pole!?!... I didn't know that such domestic staff existed. 

Robert Durran 26 Sep 2019
In reply to Clauso:

> Dancing Pole!?!... I didn't know that such domestic staff existed. 

They won't once we get Brexit done.

Bob Kemp 26 Sep 2019
In reply to Clauso:

> Dancing Pole!?!... I didn't know that such domestic staff existed. 

They're like Lapp dancers...

Clauso 26 Sep 2019
In reply to Robert Durran:

> They won't once we get Brexit done.

Fair point... Will probably have to settle for a fat bloke from Hull, instead?... Will need to upgrade the pole, mind. 

OP balmybaldwin 26 Sep 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

> They're like Lapp dancers...

But they don't Finnish?

(Dammit this was meant to be a serious thread!)

Post edited at 22:42
 WaterMonkey 26 Sep 2019

> But they don't Finnish?

I’ll have to Czech on that

Bob Kemp 27 Sep 2019

Sorry...

"barking up the wrong tree with this one" - so which is the right tree for evidence of corruption...

summo 27 Sep 2019
In reply to Clauso:

> Fair point... Will probably have to settle for a fat bloke from Hull, instead?... Will need to upgrade the pole, mind. 

Prescott?

Sorry that vision may spoil your day. 

wintertree 27 Sep 2019

Lately I’ve been thinking the security services’ dossiers on Johnson and Corbyn should be released to the public so we can make some informed choices.

This morning it looks like (someone employed by but cough cough not acting under orders from...) the CIA is taking this approach to Trump.

I’m leaning strongly to the personal opinion that Johnson and Trump are working for the same masters.   Along with half the press...

Iamgregp 27 Sep 2019

The thing about Boris (and Trump too) is that he's already so covered in shit, when more shit comes his way it never seems to stick.  Shit just slides off shit, and when you're already completely covered in shit what does one more bit of shit matter?  And besides, his supporters like him to be covered in shit, if he wasn't covered in shit he wouldn't be the same would he?  Shit for Boris is good, it shows he's not like the rest of the MPs who aren't covered in shit.

Yanis Nayu 27 Sep 2019

Been referred to the IOPC (I think that’s what it’s called) for investigation. 

Removed User 27 Sep 2019

You've got to admit she has a magnificent chest though.

Bob Kemp 27 Sep 2019
In reply to Removed User:

We're still talking about the fittings in her flat aren't we?

fred99 28 Sep 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

I've no doubt Boris has personally checked out her fixtures and fittings.

George Ormerod 28 Sep 2019

I see the Johnson apologists are claiming that the 'due process' for the complaint hasn't been followed.  I didn't realise they were such sticklers for rules, law, etc.

Yanis Nayu 28 Sep 2019
In reply to George Ormerod:

To be honest, more of a concern to me than him bunging some American woman £126k of our money in the hope of a shag, is the credible suggestion that he’s hell bent on steering the whole country to the devastation of a no-deal Brexit to make money for people who’ve backed him financially. That needs investigating sharpish, although I wouldn’t be surprised if, like lying in an election campaign it isn’t actually illegal.  

OP balmybaldwin 28 Sep 2019
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

As I understand it Arcuri was if not an introducer of these backers, at least was in the same social and business circles

elsewhere 28 Sep 2019

> I see the Johnson apologists are claiming that the 'due process' for the complaint hasn't been followed.  I didn't realise they were such sticklers for rules, law, etc.

How can due process have been followed? The story only emerged this week.

George Ormerod 29 Sep 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

They seem to be inferring that the Rozzers have been involved too soon. 

George Ormerod 29 Sep 2019
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

It will shock you to find out that there are reports that the £126k did indeed buy our pillar of honour, truth and probity a shag. So that’s alright then. As long as it wasn’t wasted. 

Yanis Nayu 29 Sep 2019

> It will shock you to find out that there are reports that the £126k did indeed buy our pillar of honour, truth and probity a shag. So that’s alright then. As long as it wasn’t wasted. 

Good value. 

dread-i 29 Sep 2019

>It will shock you to find out that there are reports that the £126k did indeed buy our pillar of honour, truth and probity a shag.

Better than spaffing it up the wall...

Removed User 29 Sep 2019

> It will shock you to find out that there are reports that the £126k did indeed buy our pillar of honour, truth and probity a shag.

It sounds like very poor value for money though. Mind you, I suppose it wasn't his money.

OP balmybaldwin 29 Sep 2019
In reply to Removed User:

You haven't seen him naked

George Ormerod 30 Sep 2019

Seems now, like his hero in the US, he may be a sex pest too:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/29/no-10-denies-claims-boris-...

Post edited at 00:17
 MonkeyPuzzle 30 Sep 2019

Well, they do call him "Britain Trump", don't you know?

baron 30 Sep 2019

> Seems now, like his hero in the US, he may be a sex pest too:

Or he might not be.

In reply to baron:

Yeah, right.

Serial womanisers are generally also thigh-squeezers, just as right-wing strongmen are generally personally corrupt.

jcm

> It will shock you to find out that there are reports that the £126k did indeed buy our pillar of honour, truth and probity a shag. So that’s alright then. As long as it wasn’t wasted. 

Of course it did FFS. Johnson’s type don’t pay on account.

jcm

baron 30 Sep 2019
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

> Yeah, right.

> Serial womanisers are generally also thigh-squeezers, just as right-wing strongmen are generally personally corrupt.

> jcm

That’s a really convincing argument that you’ve got there.

Bob Kemp 30 Sep 2019
In reply to baron:

It's more of an assertion than an argument. Why don't you think of it as a hypothesis (or rather, two hypotheses) and see if you can disprove it (them)? I can't think of any counter-examples to the second part off-hand, although there probably is the odd one. 

deepsoup 30 Sep 2019
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> Well, they do call him "Britain Trump", don't you know?

I assume that was "Britain's Trump" before Trump himself mangled the phrase, is it weird that everybody just seems to be going with it now even though it makes no sense?  We know Trump can't tell a hyphen from an apostrophe, but are we all covfefe now?

Post edited at 10:03
 Bob Kemp 30 Sep 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

>  is it weird that everybody just seems to be going with it now even though it makes no sense? 

Not weird at all - it's entirely in keeping with the times!

baron 30 Sep 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

> It's more of an assertion than an argument. Why don't you think of it as a hypothesis (or rather, two hypotheses) and see if you can disprove it (them)? I can't think of any counter-examples to the second part off-hand, although there probably is the odd one. 

Except the assertion was really meant to mean that Johnson is guilty. It’s an assertion that should be added to jcm’s previous one - the one that said all leavers are thick or xenophobic.

Johnson might be a womaniser but, despite his best attempts, he’s neither right wing nor a strongman.

fred99 30 Sep 2019
In reply to baron:

> Except the assertion was really meant to mean that Johnson is guilty. It’s an assertion that should be added to jcm’s previous one - the one that said all leavers are thick or xenophobic.

Why do you conjoin these two items - is it to try and minimise either or both ?

Incidentally, it has now been generally proved (at least to most of us) that BJ is a serial liar, and the piece in question points out, from two sources - at least one of which who knows BJ well - that his accuser is rather trustworthy. I think I know which side I'm more inclined to believe, all things considered.

baron 30 Sep 2019
In reply to fred99:

> Why do you conjoin these two items - is it to try and minimise either or both ?

> Incidentally, it has now been generally proved (at least to most of us) that BJ is a serial liar, and the piece in question points out, from two sources - at least one of which who knows BJ well - that his accuser is rather trustworthy. I think I know which side I'm more inclined to believe, all things considered.

You’re inferring something that I never meant.

Jcm conjoined the two.

You should believe in a person being innocent until proven guilty.

Whether or no you like or hate that person shouldn’t come into it, should it?

Bob Kemp 30 Sep 2019
In reply to baron:

'Innocent until proven guilty' is a legal standard that doesn't apply here, in the 'court of public opinion'. In situations like this where male power and privilege is significant we can, at least to begin, with give the woman some credibility. 

baron 30 Sep 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

> 'Innocent until proven guilty' is a legal standard that doesn't apply here, in the 'court of public opinion'. In situations like this where male power and privilege is significant we can, at least to begin, with give the woman some credibility. 

I never said anything about credibility.

But good luck with proving something from 20 years ago.

But this isn’t about who actually did what , it’s a smear campaign.

Post edited at 12:15
 Sir Chasm 30 Sep 2019
In reply to baron:

> But this isn’t about who actually did what , it a smear campaign.

It might be. But you appear to have decided that Charlotte Edwards is a liar and that Borid is a truthful chap, and that's a little odd given that we know Borid lies.

baron 30 Sep 2019
In reply to Sir Chasm:

> It might be. But you appear to have decided that Charlotte Edwards is a liar and that Borid is a truthful chap, and that's a little odd given that we know Borid lies.

Boris has told numerous lies.

If Edwards is telling the truth then the place to make an accusation of a sexual assault is a police station not a newspaper column.

Sir Chasm 30 Sep 2019
In reply to baron:

> Boris has told numerous lies.

But this time you think he's telling the truth. Ergo she is lying.

> If Edwards is telling the truth then the place to make an accusation of a sexual assault is a police station not a newspaper column.

That's her choice, Borid could always sue for libel.

MG 30 Sep 2019
In reply to baron:

> If Edwards is telling the truth then the place to make an accusation of a sexual assault is a police station not a newspaper column.

Why?  It's not provable, and possibly not criminal.  However, it is a serious matter and says a lot about the prime minister

baron 30 Sep 2019
In reply to MG:

> Why?  It's not provable, and possibly not criminal.  However, it is a serious matter and says a lot about the prime minister

It says whatever you choose to believe.

If it’s true it’s more proof of Johnson’s unsavoury character.

If it a lie then there’ll be the inevitable ‘no smoke without fire’ accusations from some.

MG 30 Sep 2019
In reply to baron:

> It says whatever you choose to believe.

Maybe, but either way it is not true to say it should only be reported to the police.

skog 30 Sep 2019
In reply to baron:

> You should believe in a person being innocent until proven guilty.

This is nonsense.

The law should consider someone innocent until proven guilty, that's really important.

Individuals can and should make up their own minds (hopefully based on the balance of evidence and reviewing it if more comes to light); there are loads of situations where it's important to be able to make judgement calls about someone's trustworthiness.

Post edited at 12:33
baron 30 Sep 2019
In reply to Sir Chasm:

> But this time you think he's telling the truth. Ergo she is lying.

> That's her choice, Borid could always sue for libel.

Yes, I think she’s lying.

Not because Johnson denies it but because it’s an allegation from an alleged incident 20 years which the alleged victim has sud decided to disclose in a newspaper.

I could of course be wrong.

baron 30 Sep 2019
In reply to skog:

> This is nonsense.

> The law should consider someone innocent until proven guilty, that's really important.

> Individuals can and should make up their own minds (hopefully based on the balance of evidence and reviewing it if more comes to light); there are loads of situations where it's important to be able to make judgement calls about someone's trustworthiness.

So you assess the evidence available to you and make a decision.

When you meet or read about someone do you, before you obtain and assess your evidence, think of the person as being trustworthy or untrustworthy?

baron 30 Sep 2019
In reply to MG:

> Maybe, but either way it is not true to say it should only be reported to the police.

I didn’t say ‘only to the police’ but if Johnson is indeed a sex pest, as stated by a previous poster, then should he not be subject to a police investigation?

> Yeah, right.

> Serial womanisers are generally also thigh-squeezers, just as right-wing strongmen are generally personally corrupt.

> jcm

Jacques Chirac was known as a bon viveur and ladies man and the French are having a day of mourning for him. What a bunch of uptight tw@ts we are, Vive la France!

Bob Kemp 30 Sep 2019
In reply to baron:

I'm not trying to prove anything. What are you talking about? And how is one woman saying what happened to her a smear campaign? 

MG 30 Sep 2019
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

I don't anyone much minds about Boris shagging around.  Sexual harassment, using tax payers money to fund shagging, and trying to wriggle out of support children are rather different matters, however.

Post edited at 12:54
 Rob Exile Ward 30 Sep 2019

I think there's a difference between 'being a ladies man' and putting your hand up someone's skirt against their wishes. 

Or maybe there isn't, and maybe Chirac wouldn't be so popular if he had been born 40 years later. Isn't there (rightly) a bit of a backlash against this sort of thing in France?

MG 30 Sep 2019
In reply to baron:

> So you assess the evidence available to you and make a decision.

The evidence seems to be the word of a woman widely regarded as trustworthy on the one hand, and the word of a proven, serial liar whose career is in on the line on the other.  I'm sure you are right though, Boris is telling the truth here.

Post edited at 12:56
 Bob Kemp 30 Sep 2019

So are the Me Too campaigners a "bunch of uptight tw@ts" as well then?

summo 30 Sep 2019

I think Boris is a bit of a chancer, he might have used his position to help increase the odds of a short term encounter with a much younger lady, who was probably happy to use her relative youth as leverage to get what she wanted from him.

Prince Andrew though, love to see something more thorough there. Perhaps in due course as the investigation progresses. 

Post edited at 12:53
baron 30 Sep 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

> I'm not trying to prove anything. What are you talking about? And how is one woman saying what happened to her a smear campaign? 

Yes, sorry, my ‘prove anything ‘ wasn’t a suitable reply to your post.

It’s a smear campaign, in my opinion, because it’s untrue and is timed to do more damage to Johnson’s reputation.

baron 30 Sep 2019
In reply to MG:

> The evidence seems to be the word of a woman widely regarded as trustworthy on the one hand, and the word of a proven, serial liar whose career is in on the line on the other.  I'm sure your right thought, Boris is telling the truth here.

Thanks.

wintertree 30 Sep 2019
In reply to MG:

> I don't anyone much minds about Boris shagging around.

Depends how much of his “leadership ability” is heritable I suppose...

In reply to baron:

> Except the assertion was really meant to mean that Johnson is guilty. It’s an assertion that should be added to jcm’s previous one - the one that said all leavers are thick or xenophobic.

Which I didn’t say, of course. I should have added to my previous observation that most of them are also shameless liars.

jcm

Bob Kemp 30 Sep 2019
In reply to baron:

But you don't know that it's untrue. And releasing this at an inopportune time for Johnson doesn't make it a smear.

baron 30 Sep 2019

> Which I didn’t say, of course. I should have added to my previous observation that most of them are also shameless liars.

> jcm

So what was your statement about Brexit, xenophobia and thick?

baron 30 Sep 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

> But you don't know that it's untrue. And releasing this at an inopportune time for Johnson doesn't make it a smear.

I don’t know if it’s true.

Nobody does.

But I’m sticking with my position, Mrs Cummings seems to support this.

jkarran 30 Sep 2019
In reply to baron:

Pointless then, pointless 20 years on, the police won't do anything with it.

Revenge is a dish best served cold. Imagine the fortitude it took not to air this while he was London mayor, keeping her powder dry all these years fearing he may one day rise higher. Bravo.

jk

fred99 30 Sep 2019
In reply to baron:

> Whether or no you like or hate that person shouldn’t come into it, should it?

I actually said; "I think I know which side I'm more inclined to believe, all things considered."

And the reason I dislike BJ and hat his guts is BECAUSE he's a two-faced lying **.

** Please insert your own choice here

baron 30 Sep 2019
In reply to fred99:

> I actually said; "I think I know which side I'm more inclined to believe, all things considered."

> And the reason I dislike BJ and hat his guts is BECAUSE he's a two-faced lying **.

> ** Please insert your own choice here

Your assessment  of Johnson’s character is correct.

fred99 30 Sep 2019

> Jacques Chirac was known as a bon viveur and ladies man and the French are having a day of mourning for him. What a bunch of uptight tw@ts we are, Vive la France!

>

So you wouldn't mind if some strange man stuck their hand up your good lady's skirt ??

Strange idea to support - at any point either now or in history.

Iamgregp 30 Sep 2019
In reply to baron:

Really?  You believe Boris, who has been sacked from 2 jobs for lying, lied to the face of a man ON CAMERA in a hospital just last week, has made up countless stories in the press during his time as a reporter, has had countless affairs and even had a child with another woman whilst still married.... over Charlotte Edwardes, who doesn't have any history of deception, just because it happened 20 years ago?

I'd suggest you ask yourself who is more likely to be telling the truth, on the balance of probabilities.   

Iamgregp 30 Sep 2019
In reply to baron:

No, that's how a court of law works.  Private individuals are entitled to their own opinions about whether a person is guilty or not as we are not the ones who will administer justice.

baron 30 Sep 2019
In reply to Iamgregp:

So you are groped at an event and after keeping quiet for 20 years you decide to tell people about it in a newspaper?

I think that there are probably plenty of women who have been groped and for a variety of reasons either never tell or delay telling their story.

I don’t believe that Edwardes is one of these women.

With Johnson’s track record it is easy to see why an accusation is credible and believable.

That doesn’t make it true.

baron 30 Sep 2019
In reply to Iamgregp:

> No, that's how a court of law works.  Private individuals are entitled to their own opinions about whether a person is guilty or not as we are not the ones who will administer justice.

I don’t disagree with you.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt until something convinces me otherwise. 

Iamgregp 30 Sep 2019
In reply to baron:

Agreed it doesn't make it true.  Just more likely to be true than not.

Iamgregp 30 Sep 2019
In reply to baron:

As do I, and Boris Johnson has given me plenty of reason not to believe a god damn word that comes out of his mouth.

john arran 30 Sep 2019
In reply to summo:

> probably happy to use her relative youth as leverage to get what she wanted from him.

I'm not convinced her "relative youth" was one of the principal assets he will have been interested in!

In reply to fred99:

It was meant to be a light-hearted, sarcastic post poking some fun at our own views of our PMs wandering hands compared to the French, who today are having a big day remembering and celebrating one of the masters of the art of trying to f*ck anything in a skirt. 

I thought the Vive la france and the smiley made it obvious it was a piss take...obviously not.

In reply to baron:

I said that most of them make stupid and xenophobic statements from time to time, and that their leaders evidently believe that obvious lies and appeals to xenophobia and/or racism are the best way to secure their votes.

jcm

baron 30 Sep 2019

> I said that most of them make stupid and xenophobic statements from time to time, and that their leaders evidently believe that obvious lies and appeals to xenophobia and/or racism are the best way to secure their votes.

> jcm

You’re going to make me search for it, aren’t you?

On the subject of Johnson’s womanising and personal corruption, by the way, he used to send his Mayor of London official car to pick up his then squeeze, a married bridge player, after the evening session.

jcm

Mick Ward 30 Sep 2019

Some years ago, when the subject of B J came up on here, you remarked that you'd met him and, in your view, he wasn't a man to have beside you in the trenches. At the time, that remark chilled me to the bone (it still does). It wasn't that I doubted it; quite the reverse. Although we've never met and I sometimes find you acerbic (we're probably on polar opposite ends of a tough/tender minded spectrum), I would unhesitatingly trust your judgement on such a matter. And, my God, how right you were! 

One problem with sociopaths is that you keep making excuses because they 'must' have better feelings, hidden somewhere. But you'll go to your grave looking for that somewhere. Although rationally one shouldn't have been surprised, emotionally, last week's, "Humbug!" moment was horrific. Now I feel that Johnson is capable of well-nigh anything - Cummings too. The sooner public life is cleansed of them, the better.

Mick

In reply to baron:

12.10 Sat on the proroguing illegal thread.

jcm

baron 30 Sep 2019

> 12.10 Sat on the proroguing illegal thread.

> jcm

Thanks.

I’d already found it but didn’t post it as a gesture of goodwill.

John2 30 Sep 2019

I honestly think that the French would think less of a powerful politician if he didn't have a string of mistresses.

Dave Garnett 30 Sep 2019

> On the subject of Johnson’s womanising and personal corruption, by the way, he used to send his Mayor of London official car to pick up his then squeeze, a married bridge player, after the evening session.

> jcm

Shit... a bridge player.  Is there no limit to his depravity?!

dread-i 30 Sep 2019
In reply to Dave Garnett:

>Shit... a bridge player.  Is there no limit to his depravity?!

I wonder if he played the same hand again...

Pefa 30 Sep 2019

So did Boris pay £120,000 of our money to this American woman to get sex with her?

Never let it be said again that Conservatives are good with money or our money. 

Yanis Nayu 30 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

A Tory spokesman has just announced that Corbyn would’ve paid £130,000 and done it with a terrorist. 

Lusk 30 Sep 2019

> On the subject of Johnson’s womanising and personal corruption, by the way, he used to send his Mayor of London official car to pick up his then squeeze, a married bridge player, after the evening session.

Ah, bridge players, renowned the world over for their clever cheating tactics.

GridNorth 30 Sep 2019

I am perfectly willing to believe that this is something that Boris would do but I equally believe that someone coming forward to reveal this 20 years later and at such a politically charged time may have something other than her reputation in mind.

Al

BnB 30 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

> So did Boris pay £120,000 of our money to this American woman to get sex with her?

I think that’s unlikely. A more realistic interpretation might be that Boris, considered a significant catch by a sizeable segment of the female population, was already enjoying extensive pole-dancing lessons before the relationship became more business-like.

I attended university with Boris’ first wife at the time she met him. She was the biggest catch in the year. I don’t think BJ struggles with getting laid. Indeed the thigh-squeezing story doing the rounds suggests his success is enough to make him feel entitled to it.

BnB 30 Sep 2019
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> A Tory spokesman has just announced that Corbyn would’ve paid £130,000 and done it with a terrorist. 

Worse. He’d make her Home Secretary and give her £10.9bn to play with

GridNorth 30 Sep 2019
In reply to GridNorth:

I think I may have confused this allegation with another one which only goes to show that this is looking increasingly like a politically motivated witch hunt.

Al

OP balmybaldwin 30 Sep 2019
In reply to GridNorth:

Don't be obscured by the smoke screen. The Arcuri affair is where the real juice is. Aged sexual assault accusations could be contentious and rely on hearsay however valid, but flying a friend around the world with funding she wasn't entitled to is very much "Misconduct in public office" territory.

GridNorth 30 Sep 2019

I agree but stand by my statement.

john arran 30 Sep 2019
In reply to John2:

> I honestly think that the French would think less of a powerful politician if he didn't have a string of mistresses.

I think you might be right, but there's a huge difference between having a string of mistresses and giving unsolicited and unwanted attention to women's inner thighs.

OP balmybaldwin 30 Sep 2019
In reply to GridNorth:

I have no doubt the full anti-boris crowd is trying to get stuff out, but that doesn't mean it's not going to stick at some point (although there's an argument to say if you are already covered in it, throwing more on isn't noticeable and is perhaps a key tenement of the Bannon/Trump strategy) . As I implied at the beginning, I don't think this is about just a nasty little sex story.

John2 30 Sep 2019
In reply to john arran:

Steady on, I was just responding to a post about Jaques  Chirac. BJ’s thigh-squeezing exploits are of very little interest to me.

john arran 30 Sep 2019
In reply to John2:

Fair enough, but the latest allegations about Johnson bear little resemblance to the kind of gigolo-type, irresistible-to-women behaviour that the French may have greater tolerance of in public life than the British.

SenzuBean 30 Sep 2019
In reply to baron:

> I like to give people the benefit of the doubt until something convinces me otherwise. 

You can't give them both the benefit of the doubt - shouldn't you give the benefit of the doubt to the person who is not a raging liar?

Yanis Nayu 30 Sep 2019
In reply to GridNorth:

When you’re as belligerent and confrontational as Johnson you need to expect a bit of a fight back and some dirt to be mined, and when you’re as amoral as he is you can expect that your opponents will be mining a rich seam.  

Out of interest, where do you stand on public money being given to friends (and perhaps friends with benefits) of senior politicians, when those friends don’t meet the criteria for receiving that public money?

GridNorth 30 Sep 2019
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Hang on. Lets not confuse issues and subscribe views to me that I have not opined. Boris could be guilty of all sorts of things and it's right that he be investigated but at the same time it's all very convenient for those who oppose him so there could be a witch hunt. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Yanis Nayu 30 Sep 2019
In reply to BnB:

> I think that’s unlikely. A more realistic interpretation might be that Boris, considered a significant catch by a sizeable segment of the female population, was already enjoying extensive pole-dancing lessons before the relationship became more business-like.

> I attended university with Boris’ first wife at the time she met him. She was the biggest catch in the year. I don’t think BJ struggles with getting laid. Indeed the thigh-squeezing story doing the rounds suggests his success is enough to make him feel entitled to it.

I’ve just been a little bit sick. 

HakanT 30 Sep 2019

If £126,000 isn’t bad enough, how about £100,000,000?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/prime-ministers-100m-plan-for-former-mod...

Tyler 30 Sep 2019
In reply to GridNorth:

Define witch hunt? I'd agree he is now under more scrutiny than before because he is PM but that is what you'd expect? The reason it may look to you like he is getting more attention than other politicians is because he's given journalists so much material. Opposition leaders get hit jobs for wearing anoraks and eating bacon sandwiches so it's not unfair for him to be quizzed about these things. If anything he's getting off lightly given his unfunded promises and lies about 40 new hospitals. 

baron 30 Sep 2019
In reply to SenzuBean:

> You can't give them both the benefit of the doubt - shouldn't you give the benefit of the doubt to the person who is not a raging liar?

No.

Lusk 30 Sep 2019
In reply to BnB:

> I attended university with Boris’ first wife at the time she met him. She was the biggest catch in the year.

Says it all really.

Pefa 01 Oct 2019
In reply to Lusk:

> Says it all really.

If it does then why was he dishing out £126,000 of our money to get sex? 

GridNorth 01 Oct 2019
In reply to Tyler:

To me it means specifically going out to dig up dirt on someone to intentionally question and ruin their personal reputation for political gain at a time when it is oh so convenient for their opponents. This is not to defend the character or the activities of the victim but rather a condemnation of the objectives of the perpetrators of the witch hunt, whatever the political persuasion.

Sir Chasm 01 Oct 2019
In reply to GridNorth:

Is it the Sunday Times or Charlotte Edwards (or both) that you're saying is perpetrating a witch hunt? Is it still a witch hunt if the allegations are true?

wintertree 01 Oct 2019
In reply to Sir Chasm:

> Is it still a witch hunt if the allegations are true?

The term witchhunt does rather bother me.

I mean it’s not like people going around looking for people they think might be a witch – that is a witch hunt.

We have someone who some people suspect is a witch.  People are trying to determine if they are a witch. This is the witch trial stage.

Terminology matters.

Post edited at 10:10
 GridNorth 01 Oct 2019
In reply to wintertree:

Sorry I raised it I though there was a general understanding of what it meant.  Looks like I was wrong

Al

GridNorth 01 Oct 2019
In reply to wintertree:

I agree it's a problematical word.  One man's witch hunt is another mans thorough investigation and that may depend upon which side you sit.  My concern is with regard to the motivation and that is regardless of sides and seems to me to be a perfectly reasonable position to take.

Tyler 01 Oct 2019
In reply to GridNorth:

> To me it means specifically going out to dig up dirt on someone to intentionally question and ruin their personal reputation for political gain at a time when it is oh so convenient for their opponents. This is not to defend the character or the activities of the victim but rather a condemnation of the objectives of the perpetrators of the witch hunt, whatever the political persuasion.

Investigative journalism= witch hunt? OK got it.

GridNorth 01 Oct 2019
In reply to Tyler:

No.  Are you being awkward and argumentative or do you seriously not understand what I said.

Tyler 01 Oct 2019
In reply to GridNorth:

I understand that this honest broker schtick is wearing a bit thin.  On the one hand people like you say you can't defend Johnson but then go out of your way to stifle criticism. This is a PM who came to power following a pretty unedifying stint as a minister with minimal scrutiny (remember his team didn't trust him to face the press during the Tory leadership campaign). He already had a reputation for lying (which cost him two jobs) and it has since transpired he lied to the Queen and parliament and has very probably misappropriated public funds, possibly illegally.

Now to avoid him being quizzed on this you and your ilk turn to the Trump-Bannon play book by shouting witch hunt instead of allowing the allegations to be investigated. 

What have I not understood?

Harry Jarvis 01 Oct 2019
In reply to GridNorth:

> I agree it's a problematical word.  One man's witch hunt is another mans thorough investigation and that may depend upon which side you sit.  My concern is with regard to the motivation and that is regardless of sides and seems to me to be a perfectly reasonable position to take.

Is there a problem if the motivation is a desire to demonstrate that our Prime Minister is untrustworthy and may feel willing to play fast and loose with the rules? 

baron 01 Oct 2019
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

> Is there a problem if the motivation is a desire to demonstrate that our Prime Minister is untrustworthy and may feel willing to play fast and loose with the rules? 

Do we really need an investigation to demonstrate that?

Harry Jarvis 01 Oct 2019
In reply to baron:

> Do we really need an investigation to demonstrate that?

Very fair point. You and I may not need such an investigation, but it seems there are some for whom it is a step too far. 

Sir Chasm 01 Oct 2019
In reply to baron:

> Do we really need an investigation to demonstrate that?

There's no need to investigate whether Borid misused public funds because we know he's untrustworthy and plays fast and loose with the rules? 

baron 01 Oct 2019
In reply to Sir Chasm:

> There's no need to investigate whether Borid misused public funds because we know he's untrustworthy and plays fast and loose with the rules? 

My post was a rhetorical question.

GridNorth 01 Oct 2019
In reply to Tyler:

Well I was trying to keep this away from personalities, specific parties and specific incidents i.e. I was trying to be neutral, but seeing as you have brought it up.  If a similar series of revelations with regard to JC were to materialise you and "your ilk" would be quick to claim witch hunt.  And if the circumstances were similar I would support that claim.

Just try to understand what I write and don't jump down my throat because of your preconceived ideas about me and your specific political leanings. I was questioning the motivations. If you cannot discuss it in that context then there really is no point in continuing.

Post edited at 11:38
Removed User 01 Oct 2019
In reply to GridNorth:

Well I wouldn't.

Call me old fashioned but when there are good grounds for believing that a very senior politician has misused a sizeable amount of public money I think the full facts need to be established. Corruption must never be tolerated, never.

Harry Jarvis 01 Oct 2019
In reply to GridNorth:

> Just try to understand what I write and don't jump down my throat because of your preconceived ideas about me and your specific political leanings. I was questioning the motivations.

What if the motivation is to establish whether the PM has broken the law? 

GridNorth 01 Oct 2019

No issue with me but if the motivation is to discredit someone regardless for political gain, I'm not comfortable with that. And if the allegations are as serious as stated they should of course be investigated no matter what the source. I have never said otherwise despite some of you trying to corrupt my meaning.   I am questioning the motivations.  They may be genuine sincere and well intentioned but equally they may not. Surely no one can be defending someone who says go and dig up some dirt on person A or B or C merely to discredit them? 

Eric9points:  I have never said that and it is extremely disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

Post edited at 12:02
In reply to GridNorth:

> My concern is with regard to the motivation and that is regardless of sides and seems to me to be a perfectly reasonable position to take.

It seems to me to be a ludicrous position to take. What does it matter what Ms Edwardes’ motives are? The question is whether the allegation is true, and if it is true, whether it matters.

In any case, it’s easily understandable. If a young woman is assaulted by a powerful older man and keeps quiet because she understands, correctly no doubt, that speaking out will end her career, then nothing is more natural than speaking out when, and only when, she sees her attacker attain a position of power which she doesn’t believe he has the proper character for, especially when he is now abusing that power in the same way as he abused his power all those years ago. Challenging that motivation is pitiful and merely tells you a lot about the person who challenges it.

jcm

Harry Jarvis 01 Oct 2019
In reply to GridNorth:

> No issue with me but if the motivation is to discredit someone regardless for political gain, I'm not comfortable with that. And if the allegations are as serious as stated they should of course be investigated no matter what the source. I have never said otherwise despite some of you trying to corrupt my meaning.   I am questioning the motivations.  They may be genuine sincere and well intentioned but equally they may not.

But you'll never know whether the motivations are genuine until the issue is properly investigated. So, it would seem essential to carry out a thorough investigation in order to establish the true position. Given that to be the case, would you be in favour of a full and thorough investigation into potential wrong-doing by our Prime Minister? 

GridNorth 01 Oct 2019

Oh FFS of course.  I explicitly said so. What is it on this forum do people not understand plain English? or is it more malicious.  It certainly feels it at times.

galpinos 01 Oct 2019
In reply to GridNorth:

>  If a similar series of revelations with regard to JC were to materialise you and "your ilk" would be quick to claim witch hunt.  And if the circumstances were similar I would support that claim.

Well, if by similar revelations you mean misuse of public money  and hands on thighs then Corbyn seems to avoided those bullets, but he's been dragged over the coals for plenty of things (IRA, Hamas, antisemitism) since becoming leader of the Labour Party and I haven't seen you jumping to his defence despite them all being branded a "witch hunt" by his supporters?

Post edited at 12:16
 Harry Jarvis 01 Oct 2019
In reply to GridNorth:

> Oh FFS of course.  I explicitly said so. What is it on this forum do people not understand plain English? or is it more malicious. 

Or it may be your efforts at obfuscation which draw people down certain paths. Perhaps you might reflect on your own patterns of behaviour as well as those of others. 

Still, good to see you agree that the PM should be properly investigated, regardless of the motivations of his accusers. 

galpinos 01 Oct 2019
In reply to GridNorth:

To be fair to Harry, your posts do come across as "Boris apologist", even if that's not intended/accurate. 

GridNorth 01 Oct 2019
In reply to galpinos:

Perhaps, just consider this for a moment, I did not see those allegations on UKC.  I'm not sure how much longer I can go on saying what I'm saying. My post has nothing to do with specific allegations, the individuals or the political party. F*ck it I don't have the energy to say it again.  I can only assume that some of you are too stupid to understand others seem intent on baiting me by misrepresenting my words.

GridNorth 01 Oct 2019
In reply to galpinos:

> To be fair to Harry, your posts do come across as "Boris apologist", even if that's not intended/accurate. 

And there we have the problem in a sentence.  I have specifically said I do not like Boris on several occasions and posts.

GridNorth 01 Oct 2019

> Or it may be your efforts at obfuscation which draw people down certain paths. Perhaps you might reflect on your own patterns of behaviour as well as those of others. 

That's a little pompous but I will.  In return and being equally pompous perhaps you could learn to read better.

Post edited at 12:35
 Harry Jarvis 01 Oct 2019
In reply to GridNorth:

I do apologise. I came late to this thread and missed some of your earlier posts on the importance of the investigations into Johnson's behaviour. 

GridNorth 01 Oct 2019

Accepted but therein lies my frustration. I'm trying to be crystal clear, it is others who keep coming back at me with the same accusations that I have already denied and explained.  It's very wearing.

Tyler 01 Oct 2019
In reply to GridNorth:

> My post has nothing to do with specific allegations, the individuals or the political party. F*ck it I don't have the energy to say it again.  I can only assume that some of you are too stupid to understand others seem intent on baiting me by misrepresenting my words.

You said "I think I may have confused this allegation with another one which only goes to show that this is looking increasingly like a politically motivated witch hunt"

jkarran 01 Oct 2019
In reply to Pefa:

> If it does then why was he dishing out £126,000 of our money to get sex? 

Why assume he was buying sex? Could be silence, access, information... all sort of juicy options. That said, since we can assume the security services will have been all over this before he was made PM so sex does seem the safe option.

jk

Post edited at 14:08

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...