UKC

New belay jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 afshapes 30 Sep 2019

So my trusty photon jkt is losing its power,  replaced the zip and it's cut up badly.  

What would people recommend ? I've been looking at the alp kit apogee and the montane spitfire , both primaloft with one thicker than the other.  I've also looked at the new rab jkt and seen the black diamond belay parka on sports pursuit at a nice price.  However rab and black diamond no longer use primaloft and are using stratus and thermolite respectively.  Has anyone used these ? Thanks in advance ! 

HeMa 01 Oct 2019
In reply to afshapes:

I believe my Inov8 uses thermolite. Seems to work out just fine. 

And whilst keeping in mind that both BD and Rab are rebutable brands. So while one brand might be better than some other, in general terms they should work out just fine. Longlivety might be an issue, but to be honest, you’ll prolly wear out the jacket before the insulation wears out. 

Post edited at 05:51
 DaveHK 01 Oct 2019
In reply to afshapes:

Big difference between the spitfire and apogee in terms of amount of insulation and resulting bulk / weight. Which would be best depends on how exactly you'll be using it, whether you run hot or cold and what else you'll be wearing. If your current jacket worked well which is closest to that?

I looked at reviews of the BD one that's on SP and it got enough bad ones to make me think twice were I in the market for a new belay jacket.

Post edited at 07:03

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...