UKC

REVIEW: New Totem Cams: Black and Orange

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 04 Oct 2019
A solid Orange Totem In 2015 we gave Totem Cams a glowing write-up, in particular their high holding power and narrow head width. This review focuses on two new sizes at opposite ends of the range.

Read more
 GHawksworth 04 Oct 2019
In reply to UKC Gear:

I swear these have been on the market since 2015/2016 too? As that's when my uni club bought both orange and black?

steveb2006 04 Oct 2019
In reply to UKC Gear:

Good review but someone in Outside mentioned (some time back) that the slightly elongated cams, which give the totems a greater range, make them possibly less secure in a shallow placement because the point of 'bite' would be a little further down towards the trigger end than a conventional cam. i.e. closer to the outer edge of a shallow placement/break.  Havent used them myself but would be interested to hear any comments in this respect from people who have used / compared them. Perhaps not a significant issue. 

Theo Moore 04 Oct 2019
In reply to steveb2006:

I couldn't comment on the technical justification for that thinking (because I don't really understand it!) but I've found the Totems to hold well in shallow placements, at least as good as or better than other cams I've used.

Theo Moore 04 Oct 2019
In reply to GHawksworth:

They have indeed been available for a while but weren't available when Rob wrote the original Totem review, hence the new review.

Wiley Coyote2 04 Oct 2019
In reply to steveb2006:

I don't pretend to understand the technicalities  and I don't own any Totems, mainly because I have a fairly new set of Dragons, but I have used them on a shared rack. I have to say that I found them very reassuring. They seemed to sit very solidy in cracks and pockets and tbh after using them I rather regretted getting my shiny new Dragons. That said, happily I did not test them in anger but my  impression of them was very favorable

Sean Kelly 06 Oct 2019
In reply to UKC Gear:

But in the photo displaying 'double racking' did the climber actually manage to get off  the ground?

john arran 06 Oct 2019
In reply to Sean Kelly:

>  But in the photo displaying 'double racking' did the climber actually manage to get off  the ground?

On many of our Venezuelan adventures, cams have been so useful - almost the only gear available and in breaks that are unchanging in width so the right size cam is essential - that we've routinely started many pitches with a triple cam rack.

Sean Kelly 06 Oct 2019
In reply to UKC Gear:

You obviously have access to Sherpas to carry such a weight John!

PaulJepson 06 Oct 2019
In reply to Wiley Coyote2:

> after using them I rather regretted getting my shiny new Dragons. That said, happily I did not test them in anger but my  impression of them was very favorable

Don't feel too bad; I think Dragons/C4s/Friends are better than Totems in a lot of rock types (grit especially). Totems are just great for limestone.

ColdWill 07 Oct 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

Mine work fine in almost all rock especially grit, I'm just wary of the lack of cam stops in some situations.

Theo Moore 07 Oct 2019
In reply to Sean Kelly:

She did indeed! That was the day we did Lionheart (ED1) in Wadi Rum. We needed a lot of cams...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...