UKC

Van Insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Green 09 Oct 2019

Hi All,

Just rang my insurer to check that I would still be insured driving in the EU if Brexit occurs whilst I'm away and, to cut a long story short, I'll now be shopping around for insurance on my van!

Semi-converted (bed but nowt else) VW T30 LWB -so doesn't qualify as true camper, but neither can I get it insured as commercial.

Anyone got any good (or bad!) experiences to share? 

Cheers,

T

Dark-Cloud 09 Oct 2019
In reply to Tom Green:

Try https://www.hertsinsurance.com/ our van has been with them for 8 years now, ours is converted but they insured it before it was converted no problem

ChrisJD 09 Oct 2019
In reply to Tom Green:

Try NFU.

jbrom 09 Oct 2019
In reply to Tom Green:

Which insurer are you currently with? I'm sure people would be interested to know if there was going to be an issue with their insurance driving in Europe after Brexit.

ianstevens 09 Oct 2019
In reply to jbrom:

The whole green card/IDP thing that's been in the news passed you by?

tjdodd 09 Oct 2019
In reply to Tom Green:

The issue will apply to all or at least most insurers. For once I am not sure you can blame insurance companies. You will need a green card irrespective. 

Your driving license will also be invalid. Have you sorted your international driving permits? You may need more than one. 

Post edited at 20:20
 jbrom 09 Oct 2019
In reply to ianstevens:

Not at all, I am currently insured to drive in Europe and my insurance provider contacted me ages ago to let me know that after we undertake our act of national self harm I will be covered for driving in Europe if I contact them and get a green card.

I am more interested in the OPs situation, where they appear to be currently insured in Europe but will not be after Brexit..... think it would be good to know companies that wont have green card as an option.

Joez 09 Oct 2019
In reply to Tom Green:

Great service from Shield Total Insurance on my self conversion. They were happy to insure as an in progress conversion. Not sure about your specific question, but worth a call.

Bellie 10 Oct 2019
In reply to ianstevens:

You have to talk to your insurer to see if they can issue you one. Perhaps the OP has and they won't.  Hence the issue.   Wise of the OP to check - especially if they are travelling in EU at the time the proposed exit, so valid EU insurance one day, having to use green card scheme the next.

OP Tom Green 10 Oct 2019
In reply to Tom Green:

Thanks all -appreciate people taking the time to respond.

Herts proved to be v helpful and good value, so good tip from richlan. 

Regarding my previous cover (Autonet), their beef wasn’t to do with Brexit/green cards etc... they appear to have changed their policy on partial conversions so in reviewing my details flagged up that they wouldn’t cover me going forward. It does beg the question: if I hadn’t called up to check my Post-Brexit cover, then when would I have found this out? When I came to make a claim that they wouldn’t honour?! I also feel a little vexed that I’ve been paying a premium for some unknown amount of time for ‘insurance’ that was likely worthless! 

Still, all sorted now!

Dark-Cloud 11 Oct 2019
In reply to Tom Green:

Good stuff, glad it helped.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...