UKC

Vans and Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nick Nitro 15 Oct 2019

Hi all

I'm lucky enough to be getting married this Saturday. The following Monday we'll be going off on our honey moon in a rented van conversion around Scotland. The plan will be to get to areas we normally can't dues to work commitments/travelling times. So naturally we'll be starting out in the Cairngorms, then moving to Lochaber, Torridon and finally Skye.

It's only really just occurred to me, having never done a van before and only camped how easy it is to find campsites that will accept a van for a few nights without having to buy a C&CC membership. Does anybody have any recommendations for those areas (We'll probably stay at Glen Brittle on Skye)?

Cheers 

Siward 15 Oct 2019
In reply to Nick Nitro:

Membership is £40. You can join online in minutes.

Here's a nice site (but members only): http://www.ashaig-campsite-skye.co.uk/

David Myatt 16 Oct 2019
In reply to Nick Nitro:

Nick,

We ditched our C&CC membership 12 years ago. Plenty of alternative sites. For Cairngorm, try the Forrestry Commission site at Loch Morlich. For Lochaber, there’s a site in Glen Nevis before the Youth Hostel. Alternatively, a good site at Roy Bridge. On Skye you might find the site opposite the Slig better than Glen Brittle. Apart from being able to get to the pub, you are not trapped at the end of a deadend road and can visit the other climbing options more easily. Torridon is trickier. I think the campsite by the YH is tents only. There is a fab site by Big Sand, Gairloch, about 45 mins north. 

Have fun, David

Rog Wilko 16 Oct 2019
In reply to Nick Nitro:

If you're self contained (code for having a toilet in the van) you will find lots of places in Scotland where you can park up and enjoy solitude and a good view. At this time of year it'll be fairly quiet.

OP Nick Nitro 16 Oct 2019
In reply to David Myatt:

Cheers for the information, I'll get them noted down and check them out. 

OP Nick Nitro 16 Oct 2019
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Unfortunately not, hence why I was asking about sites. We should just hold it in for the night....

ScraggyGoat 16 Oct 2019
In reply to Nick Nitro:

Some sites will have closed, probably including Glen Brittle. So best to check ahead.

If needed when travelling from Glen Coe to Skye the Sheil Bridge site is open all year, and within walking distance of a pub.

atrendall 17 Oct 2019
In reply to Nick Nitro:

Glen Brittle now closed and think Sligachan closing very soon.

David Myatt 17 Oct 2019
In reply to atrendall:

Sands at Gairloch open until the first Sunday in November. I’m there now.

David

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...