UKC

DIY energy drinks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hate myself for it, but at a push I've succumbed to Red Bull and the like as a mid journey caffeine hit. Usually when a decent coffee isn't available, else that would be the first port of call. That said, a hot drink isn't what I want (I do, when convenient, sort a flask out) and let's assume that firing up a stove isn't an option. 

So has anyone got a recipe for homemade energy drinks that have a hit of pick me up and preferably on the nutritious/less crap side? 

Thanks. 

Post edited at 16:20
 marsbar 22 Oct 2019
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

How do you feel about coffee milkshake?  I put icecream in but if you want to be healthy I suppose it would be OK without.  

Rigid Raider 22 Oct 2019

Buy maltodextrin from Myprotein.com, that's your carbohydrate. Add a couple of fingers to a water bottle and tip in a tablespoon of fructose, also from Myprotein.com. Add a pinch of salt if you want to replace salt lost through sweating. Dunno how you would do the caffeine though.

nniff 22 Oct 2019

Lemon and ginger for a hot drink.

Vimto for sugar- hot or cold.

No opinion on caffeine, beyond properly cold black coffee, to which I am rather partial

Gone 22 Oct 2019
In reply to Rigid Raider:

You could get it caffeinated by using black tea as a base instead of water.

SenzuBean 22 Oct 2019

I'd go for just whatever drink you feel like, plus a caffeine tablet. Caffeine is fairly bitter mixed into solution and would limit what you can drink without tasting it.

Off-topic a bit, but in the US you can get caffeine clif bars - these became my go-to for alpine starts when I wanted a bit of caffeine. Too bad they're not available elsewhere (not even in Canada).

jimtitt 22 Oct 2019
In reply to nniff:

Caffeine pills.

In reply to marsbar:

> How do you feel about coffee milkshake?  I put icecream in but if you want to be healthy I suppose it would be OK without.  

I'll check that out. Thanks. 

Timmd 22 Oct 2019

> Buy maltodextrin from Myprotein.com, that's your carbohydrate. Add a couple of fingers to a water bottle and tip in a tablespoon of fructose, also from Myprotein.com. Add a pinch of salt if you want to replace salt lost through sweating. Dunno how you would do the caffeine though.

He could add instant coffee possibly?

> Buy maltodextrin from Myprotein.com, that's your carbohydrate. Add a couple of fingers to a water bottle and tip in a tablespoon of fructose, also from Myprotein.com. Add a pinch of salt if you want to replace salt lost through sweating. Dunno how you would do the caffeine though.

Already do that for my sport drink (cycling). I was thinking more along a caffeine hit, but thanks for the input. 

Timmd 22 Oct 2019
In reply to SenzuBean:

> I'd go for just whatever drink you feel like, plus a caffeine tablet. Caffeine is fairly bitter mixed into solution and would limit what you can drink without tasting it.

> Off-topic a bit, but in the US you can get caffeine clif bars - these became my go-to for alpine starts when I wanted a bit of caffeine. Too bad they're not available elsewhere (not even in Canada).

Cold coffee or coke was my morning 'hit' when I was a teenager and needing to wake up for college, I've become more measured and holistic since then, in liking to sleep instead. Teenagers can be nuts in certain ways. I wonder if you could buy the cliff bars from ebay?

Post edited at 17:18
In reply to nniff:

> No opinion on caffeine, beyond properly cold black coffee, to which I am rather partial

Thanks, I think, but I might pass on cold coffee 😂 

In reply to SenzuBean:

I've used caffeine Shots before and forgotten about them as an option. 

krikoman 22 Oct 2019

20 Rothman's

elsewhere 22 Oct 2019

Instant coffee dissolves in cold water.

SenzuBean 22 Oct 2019
In reply to Timmd:

> Cold coffee or coke was my morning 'hit' when I was a teenager and needing to wake up for college, I've become more measured and holistic since then, in liking to sleep instead. Teenagers can be nuts in certain ways. I wonder if you could buy the cliff bars from ebay?

I find as long as I don't drink too much coffee, or mix it with food - then it doesn't affect my sleep
Probably can, but it's a bit over the top to do it. The clif bars sold in the UK are made in Europe somewhere as opposed to being imported iirc.

Billhook 22 Oct 2019

You could simply get fitter then you'd not need an 'energy' drink.

Judging by the numerous Red Bull cans and other 'energy' drink tins littering the roads & countryside its apparent that they don't provide enough energy for the drinkers to carry them home or to the nearest litter bin.

marsbar 22 Oct 2019
In reply to Billhook:

Being fit doesn't stop you from needing a coffee on a long drive.  I believe it's even in the official advice.  

In reply to Billhook:

> You could simply get fitter then you'd not need an 'energy' drink.

Baffled as to why you think I'm not fit. I made the distinction between energy drinks and sports drinks upthread. Quite different things. What I'm after is replacement caffeine hit, that isn't coffee, for when I'm out and about travelling. 

> Judging by the numerous Red Bull cans and other 'energy' drink tins littering the roads & countryside its apparent that they don't provide enough energy for the drinkers to carry them home or to the nearest litter bin.

Maybe they've got loads of energy but, you know, can't be arsed. Not sure what this has got to do with my request. But this being the Internet... Glad you got the platform to get it off your chest though. 

Dark-Cloud 22 Oct 2019

I'm not really an energy food/drink fan (read my recent thread on race food if you want to waste a few minutes) but the Tailwind Green Tea Buzz is OK if you can't be arsed with making something, and it on the less crap scale than most energy drinks.

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> I'm not really an energy food/drink fan (read my recent thread on race food if you want to waste a few minutes) but the Tailwind Green Tea Buzz is OK if you can't be arsed with making something, and it on the less crap scale than most energy drinks.

I'll check it out further but it is probably the nearest thing that fits my bill. Thanks. 

pasbury 23 Oct 2019

Cold green tea or cold oolong tea. Brew it up whenever using 85 degree water (maybe 90 for oolong) then get it out of the pot and let it cool down in the fridge. When it’s back to room temp it’s pretty good, more in a kick in the tastebuds way than a full of caffeine way.

Post edited at 00:07
 WaterMonkey 23 Oct 2019

I've made my own by just making a normal orange squash, add 2 or more teaspoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt.  This is mainly for energy on a long bike ride or hike.

If you are feeling tired when driving then pull over and get a coffee at a service station.

Rigid Raider 23 Oct 2019

A friend of ours in Cumbria makes a sports nutrition brand, which includes an energy bar with caffeine: https://www.teamnutrition.co.uk/

GrahamD 23 Oct 2019

Surely all your looking for are chocolate covered coffee beans ? Ive seen them ion sale somewhere. Possibly Hanoi.

jkarran 23 Oct 2019

You can buy caffeine powder online or presumably from a pharmacist. Tablets would be a much safer, costlier alternative.

jk

cb294 23 Oct 2019
In reply to GrahamD:

Or anywhere in Germany. My favourite sweet!

CB

subtle 23 Oct 2019

No time for an energy providing caffine / sugar hit?

What about a "protein" shake?

Easy to make, always available, can try your own, or if that way inclined, one of your friends

Toerag 24 Oct 2019
In reply to subtle:

> What about a "protein" shake?

Not the most digestible thing though is it? Would that lead to 'post food snooze' behaviour?

To the OP - when I find myself on a sleep debt and nodding off at my desk in the afternoons I like to have Polos - sugar gives an energy hit, and the mint perks me up. To be honest though, if you're finding you need some sort of 'staying awake assistance' whilst driving you're not getting enough sleep and are potentially as danger to others. I say that as someone who has nodded off at the wheel, luckily with just an excursion onto the verge.

Thanks all. 

To clarify, when I said travelling I wasn't intending that to be viewed as driving. I never drive tired. It's more about being on my travels and needing a quick fix so I get my arse into gear for training etc. (when making a brew might just tip me towards not bothering). 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...