UKC

Gas Canister godsend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 zimpara 23 Oct 2019

This has got to be the most novel thing ever. On a very basic level certainly!

https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Jetboil_Jetgauge_Digital_Fuel_Canister_Sc...

pasbury 23 Oct 2019
In reply to zimpara:

This would be the best April fools joke ever, unfortunately it’s October.

ChrisBrooke 23 Oct 2019
In reply to zimpara:

I've always relied on the old 'give it a shake' method. If only I'd known this existed!

AndyRoss 24 Oct 2019
In reply to zimpara:

Can't remember the make, but I had some cannisters that had a scale on the side which you use by floating the cannister in water. 

In reply to ChrisBrooke:

£16.95 to save using your kitchen scales. 

jimtitt 24 Oct 2019
In reply to AndyRoss:

> Can't remember the make, but I had some cannisters that had a scale on the side which you use by floating the cannister in water. 

MSR have floating marks.

McHeath 24 Oct 2019
In reply to zimpara:

The same company is allegedly developing a digital dipstick for measuring the fluid level in your thermos flask.

d_b 24 Oct 2019
In reply to McHeath:

Is that the one with the laser rangefinder?  I put 150 grand into their kickstarter for the customised blue laser model.

Frank R. 24 Oct 2019
In reply to d_b:

Did it have bluetooth connection to your phone's Health app to monitor hydration levels and a built-in IR thermometer so you don't scald yourself? Count me out if not...

(I am pretty sure a bluetooth hydration flask actually does exists, or at least is on kickstarter)

McHeath 24 Oct 2019
In reply to d_b:

> Is that the one with the laser rangefinder?  I put 150 grand into their kickstarter for the customised blue laser model.

That's the one; most exciting development in the outdoor industry since the Whillans harness!

Lankyman 24 Oct 2019
In reply to McHeath:

> That's the one; most exciting development in the outdoor industry since the Whillans harness!

Oh yes, it could be very exciting having a Whillans on whenever a big lob was in the offing ...... 'are the plums correctly aligned?' probably being the crucial source of 'excitement'.

d_b 24 Oct 2019
In reply to Frank R.:

I believe it measures the temperature using ramen scattering. None of this luddite thermometer nonsense!

cb294 25 Oct 2019
In reply to d_b:

Ramen scattering sounds very messy.

CB

Rigid Raider 25 Oct 2019
In reply to zimpara:

Hell's teeth; it will turn up in Lakeland, that store full of solutions looking for a problem.

Neil Williams 25 Oct 2019
In reply to zimpara:

Great bit of kit if you don't have a kitchen scales

RR 25 Oct 2019
In reply to zimpara:

I have a lot of nearly empty canisters laying around with just enough or not enough left in them for the weekend? So to be safe I just take a more full one to be sure. Because it to me too much doing calculating with a scale, immersing, or etc. Writing with a sharpie on the canister how much is left. 

I have even with emphasis on “considered” buying something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DMJBPPV/ref=dp_cerb_1

I use near empty ones for car camping.

d_b 25 Oct 2019
In reply to RR:

Do you know how you are actually supposed to get rid of dead canisters?

Recycling won't take em around here, and they don't want them in black bins either.

tjin 25 Oct 2019
In reply to RR:

I actually use a similar adapter to combine the contents of emptyish identical type canisters. It works, but don't do stupid things when using adapters. 

pasbury 25 Oct 2019
In reply to d_b:

I've seen a thingy that peirces the canister so then it's just metallic waste. You wouldn't want to create a spark though!

Toerag 25 Oct 2019
In reply to d_b:

> Do you know how you are actually supposed to get rid of dead canisters?

> Recycling won't take em around here, and they don't want them in black bins either.

Can't you simply get rid of them as you would aerosols?  If not then just drill a 5mm hole in them slowly, fill with water, empty and dump in metal recycling. Canister metal is soft and ductile to stop them cracking when subjected to an impact so they drill out easily.

cb294 25 Oct 2019
In reply to Toerag:

Don`t drill. Why use a power tool at all that may cause sparks at the coal brushes? Simply take a robust knife or screwdriver, set it on top of the canister, and give it a tap with the other hand. Also useful for flattening empty canisters before packing them out on longer trips. 

Turn you face away for the unlikely case you get a flame. Never happened to me, though in 40 years. The canister just goes ppfffttt.

I also don't bother filling with water. Just punch a couple of holes and place it downwind for a while.

CB

jimtitt 25 Oct 2019
In reply to d_b:

> Recycling won't take em around here, and they don't want them in black bins either.

Here (Germany) they are all in the dual recycling scheme, the infamous Green Point system so they just go in with all the packaging. Mine normally just go in the normal rubbish or the metal skip, their auto sorters and shredders couldn't care less!

d_b 25 Oct 2019
In reply to jimtitt:

Recyclable box is emptied by hand here.  Canisters just stay there.

In reply to all:

Thanks for the advice.  I will try knocking holes in them and see if they will take them then.

RR 25 Oct 2019
In reply to d_b:

I go as Toerag says. I dump them in the waste TRI (at the separate point) after making a hole with the burin of a Swiss Army knife or the like, so the canister is without the gas. You need a huge saturation before gas starts to burn, so no washing is needed. Iron is separated here after it is collected with strong magnets for recycling. 

jimtitt 25 Oct 2019
In reply to d_b:

Yeah, a "different" system in the UK! Theoretically all packaging can also be returned to the retailer as well, I'd take them back to whoever sells the stuff and let them worry about it!

wilkesley 25 Oct 2019
In reply to featuresforfeet:

I just use an old ice axe to make holes in mine. First I make sure that I get out as much residual gas as possible by sticking a stove on and letting it burn out.

Post edited at 16:52
 Andy Johnson 25 Oct 2019

I use one of those - bleeds faster than a stove in my experience. Then when the cart is empty I punch a few large, obvious holes using a centrepunch and mallet before putting it in the recycling. Never had a problem.

Post edited at 17:08
 d_b 26 Oct 2019

That looks like a good gadget, and one I'm sure to mislay!

I went with the centre punch idea as I had one handy. Now I just need to wait until next Thursday to see if the canisters finally disappear.

Thanks all.

FactorXXX 26 Oct 2019
In reply to d_b:

It's Bonfire Night soon...

d_b 26 Oct 2019
In reply to FactorXXX:

Full ones are better.

JohnBson 27 Oct 2019
In reply to AndyRoss:

Probably got rid of it because as the water temperature varies due to the weather so would the buoyancy level. 

jimtitt 27 Oct 2019
In reply to JohnBson:

> Probably got rid of it because as the water temperature varies due to the weather so would the buoyancy level. 

Sure, at 30°C water loses about 0,4% percent of it's density which puts us in a life or death situation. On the other hand the metal canister has expanded .....

JohnBson 27 Oct 2019
In reply to jimtitt:

Maybe we should calculate this... It is a pretty useless way of measuring your gas at 0degC though...

danieleaston 27 Oct 2019
In reply to d_b:

Mine have been collected in Bristol with obvious holes bashed in so you should be fine. 

Frank R. 27 Oct 2019
In reply to d_b:

Quite depends on your country and municipality, I think... Some take them (emptied, crunched open with a can opener) in the metal trash, some metal recycling lines do refuse them outright, some might put them in the "dangerous trash", it depends... Better ask yourself wherever you live (after all, there are human workers on the recycling line sorting the trash coming in, and they might just chuck them into "other trash" instead of recycling if they feel or are instructed to disregard aerosol cans and such - nobody wants their shredder to explode)

I just use a can opener (on totally emptied) canisters (works pretty well), and since our local line won't take them with the other metal trash (I asked) like beer cans and stuff, I just chuck them with some other aerosol cans and every once in a while take them to the recycling centre for "dangerous" goods. Or refill, if you feel ok about it (and know what you are doing)...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...