UKC

Rock Climbing Study ~ Please Help!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Kinetic Climber 29 Oct 2019

Hi everyone!!! This form that is attached will be used to support my design team and I in our high school Engineering Design and Development class. In this class, our team is planning to make an improved climbing brush. All data will be used to help our team decide on the best possible design for a new brush that will be able to reach high holds and effectively clean climbing holds with the use of a motorized brush. I was hoping that you all could help spread this form to those you know who rock climb or may be associated with someone who rock climbs in order to help my team in this high school class. Thank you!!!

Google Form Climbing Study: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdkiVWsf0QAqsOlA2_MOdx-D-pEG9tpdQj...

Qwerty2019 29 Oct 2019
In reply to Kinetic Climber:

An extendable industrial (size and power) toothbrush type setup for me please.  One where I can exchange heads for big brush, small brush and 360dg brush.  If you could fit a air system just to blow the excess chalk off on those pesky high holds that would be nice

Jon Read 29 Oct 2019

This sounds like a terrible idea from the perspective of not trashing the rock.

PhilMW 30 Oct 2019

I agree with Jon. DO NOT make a motorised brush for the purpose of cleaning a bit of chalk or dirt off some holds.

A: It is really lazy! (get up there with a bit of elbow grease)

B: It will destroy the rock! (you'd get lynched at some of the south coast UK Sandstone venues/most of Poland if you attempted to use one)

Not a good idea at all

In reply to Jon Read:

> This sounds like a terrible idea from the perspective of not trashing the rock.

It doesn't necessarily have to be.  The amount of force a climber can exert with a manual brush will be pretty high.  Maybe a more complex motorized brush with individual brush elements rotating or oscillating could be designed to get more chalk off with less pressure than a brute force scrubbing brush.   Like an electronic toothbrush isn't supposed to be pushed really hard against your teeth, some of them even have indicators that you are pressing too hard.

Also, the main use might be inside where trashing the rock isn't a consideration and gyms might be willing to fork out more for a shared brush.   It could possibly incorporate some suction to immediately get any chalk dust contained.  If it worked well and kept the holds cleaner it might mean circuits needed to be stripped less often.

Philb1950 30 Oct 2019

Is this what climbings become?

Ehmarra 02 Nov 2019
In reply to Philb1950:I watched a man boulder in his gilet with nothing on underneath....like a puffed up vest .... Nothing surprises me now a days

krikoman 02 Nov 2019

Can't you simply steer people away from the evils of chalk, and give them a hankie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...