UKC

Winter Climbing Clothing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jimbothe5 21 Nov 2019

I'm new to winter climbing and need some advice on what to wear in terms of legs. I was thinking a pair of thermal bottoms with a pair of Rab Kinetic Alpine pants on top.

Does this seem appropriate for most moderate conditions? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Greg Boswell 21 Nov 2019
In reply to Jimbothe5:

That combo is exactly what I wear on the hill in winter, to climb in. It’s warm enough for me, even on the long belays. You can always up the leg warmth with a thicker fleece leggings under the kinetic pants.  

Hope this helps mate. 
Have a good winter. 
Greg 

OP Jimbothe5 21 Nov 2019
In reply to Greg Boswell:

Thank you for the advice!

jethro kiernan 21 Nov 2019
In reply to Jimbothe5:

A pair of either thick 50% merino leggings or  thin leggings depending on the weather and how fast I think I’ll be, worn under winter soft shell trousers

tehmarks 21 Nov 2019
In reply to Jimbothe5:

Powerstretch leggings under a pair of softshell trousers, or Brynje under a pair of softshell trousers. Last year I bought a pair of Mammut Base Jump SO Touring trousers - it was between those and the ME Mission trousers. The one advantage that the ME trousers have is the windstopper knees and arse - stops you getting a wet bum and wet knees when you invariably end up sat or knelt in the snow. I wanted braces though, so went with the Mammut trousers.

oldie 22 Nov 2019
In reply to Jimbothe5:

For years I've used Buffalo High Altitude Salopettes (usually as only layer). Used them for skiing too.  Great for warmth, freedom of movement and above all the full length zips which can be completely undone if overheating....I've even worn them in hot sunny conditions. However just looked at details of Montane Extreme Salopettes which seem to provide all these features, perhaps improved, eg better zip baffles, at a lower price although probably heavier and possibly slightly more restrictive (though tougher?).

Post edited at 11:09
 BnB 22 Nov 2019
In reply to Jimbothe5:

> I'm new to winter climbing and need some advice on what to wear in terms of legs. I was thinking a pair of thermal bottoms with a pair of Rab Kinetic Alpine pants on top.

> Does this seem appropriate for most moderate conditions? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Starting out, I’d go for a durable and cheap double layer without worrying too much about performance. High-end but more fragile gear can wait until you stop sticking metal points through them (just above the Kevlar patches). This may be a matter of years, or in my case, never

Post edited at 11:53
1philjones1 22 Nov 2019
In reply to Jimbothe5:

It’ll be warm enough but I’ve got the Kinetic Alpine jacket- if the pants are the same material I don’t think they’ll be robust enough, particularly if you’re not very careful with crampons. I’d definitely wear gaiters with them. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...