UKC

School Project Climbing UK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Timm Klein 07 Dec 2019

Hi folks

We are two students from the Sandstone Area Pfalz in Germany, and we will participate in a school project from the 17th to the 30th of August 2020.

Then we will be 19 and 17 years old. The project is, to travel in another country, get in touch with people there and learn something.

We are climbing and outdoor enthusiast, we use all our free time to go out and climb the beautiful sandstone towers that are everywhere in our area.

So we thought that it will be a nice project, to go climbing in the UK.

Because of, we love to climb trad and we are very interested in the beautiful countryside.

Unfortunately, we do not have much time left. Because, the school does not give us much time to plan.

On the 16th of December we have to tell the school what we are going to do and where we want to sleep. For the detailed planning we have a few months left.

So we want to ask here if someone can give us a place to sleep, or knows someone else.

The project is very flexible, so it is also possible to stay shorter than two weeks or to start earlier or finish later.

Sure, Peak District would be cool, but we are open to any area with nice climbing-possibilities.

We have no big claims. We would be happy if the project would take place, no matter in what scope.

We are sure that we would have a nice time with you.

You can contact us at this e-mail address: mmitnielk@web.de

You can find my Facebook and Instagram on my profile.

Thanks in advance, Timm Klein & Nils Kreb

If the post is here on the wrong place, please delete it.

Post edited at 15:33
 girlymonkey 07 Dec 2019
In reply to Timm Klein:

I don't have anything very useful to offer, but I will wish you all the best with your trip and give your post a bump 😊

Timm Klein 07 Dec 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

thank you

tjdodd 07 Dec 2019
In reply to Timm Klein:

There are lots of options in the UK.  Everyone on here will have their favourite areas.  If you had a couple of months then I think it would be good to visit a number of places for 1 or 2 weeks each.  You could then also visit England, Scotland and Wales which will give you a wide experience of different people as well.

Of course even in August the weather can be variable.  It may be too warm for the Peak and too midgy for Scotland (or lots of other places for that matter).

On balance I think I would go to Scotland.  A huge variety of climbing, scenery, history and interesting places.

And as for where to stay, wild camp for as much of the trip as possible.

Post edited at 18:02
 Donotello 07 Dec 2019
In reply to tjdodd:

He says the project takes place from the 17-30 August so that’s 13 days not a few months. 

I think you’re confused with the statement that they have a few months to plan the finer details. 

C Witter 08 Dec 2019
In reply to Timm Klein:

You should really consider North Wales, e.g. staying in or near Ogwen or Llanberis. There are a lot of climbers based there, and many different types of climbing, including brilliant bouldering, mountain routes and sea cliffs - all within a fairly contained area. Perhaps you could contact Plas y Brenin (https://www.pyb.co.uk/contact) and see if they can help you to flesh out your project.

All best
CW

tjdodd 08 Dec 2019
In reply to Donotello:

Try reading my post again - I say "If".  Also they are not restricted to 17-30 August. And given they do not have too long I plumped for recommending Scotland.

Post edited at 07:56
 Jenny C 08 Dec 2019
In reply to Timm Klein:

I'm assuming you would be looking to fly to the UK and given your age probably won't be hiring a car. 

I would think fly into Manchester airport, from where you can use the public transport to get to the Peak District. For accommodation check out Youth Hostels (YHA). Hathersage would be a good base as it has both bus and train links, plus is central for many of the most popular climbing areas. 

Popular crags in The Peak can get busy, so lots of opportunities to meet other climbers. Plus if the weather is unkind you have several indoor walls in nearby Sheffield, plus all the usual facilities of a big city. 

You would need a tad rack of gear as there is no sport climbing on the local gritstone. If you wanted to boulder, Climbing Works hires out pads. 

Timm Klein 08 Dec 2019
In reply to tjdodd:

I thought already about staying two weeks at different places.

I think it's the best solution

Post edited at 20:48
Timm Klein 08 Dec 2019
In reply to C Witter:

I think it would be nice to go there the second week.

But we need a host family there.

Because we shouldn't stay at hostels or campgrounds.

So we are open for offers.

Timm Klein 08 Dec 2019
In reply to tjdodd:

As I have often written.

We are dependent on people, who give us place to sleep.

So we can't decide on our own where we will go.

But when somebody in scotland will host us, we would consider to go there for a week.

(One week in sheffield is already clear)

Heike 08 Dec 2019
In reply to Timm Klein:

Hi,

This sounds like a great plan. And if we were here, I would happily offer a place to  two young fellow German climbers ( I am from Bavaria myself) the problem is that this is school holidays in Scotland that you are suggesting and usually we are then leaving the country to go the Alps or so with our son (10 years old). We have climbed in the Pfalz a bit , it is lovely and we love the Frankenjura (that is somewhere close to where I grew up.) and we love the high mountains. I can see if there are some families who are interested to take in a couple of young German climbers.  Can't promise anything, but I can ask around.

Best wishes and good luck

Heike

Post edited at 20:45
Timm Klein 08 Dec 2019
In reply to Jenny C:

The school says, that we shouldn't fly, but the bus and train connection between Germany and the UK is good.

We have to sleep at host familiys to get in touch with people.

(We got one already for one week in sheffield)

We own a trad rack because in our home area "Pfalz" are the most climbs in Trad-style.

Real sport-climbing beginns at 8-9 on the UIAA scale.

We can take a pad with us, but when we have the opportunity to go bouldering with locals, we will do it.

Timm Klein 08 Dec 2019
In reply to Heike:

hi,

thank you very much

, where do you life in scotland?

When the place is easy to reach we can think about that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...