UKC

Camera sliders for timelapses and stuff?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 13 Dec 2019

Anybody able to recommend any motorised sliders or which products to look at?

OP The Lemming 15 Dec 2019
In reply to The Lemming:

Nobody use these bits of kit?

jethro kiernan 16 Dec 2019
In reply to The Lemming:

I’d like too, you’ll have to buy one and let me know all about it 😀

Blue Straggler 16 Dec 2019
In reply to The Lemming:

Don't you have a Raspberry Pi and good knowledge of how to program it? Could you rig something together yourself with some digital-input motors etc?

ali_colquhoun 16 Dec 2019
In reply to The Lemming:

Yes I have used the Rhino Slider. It is a reasonably good one, I don't own it I have just used it. You can pre program moves and speed etc. 

Worth thinking about how many axes of movement you want. These things are quite expensive but they are often to be found second hand. 

I do have a friend who did the above and made one himself using an arduino. He is a genius though. 

In reply to The Lemming:

I have also used a few cheaper chinese copies, looking at ebay you may be in business for 200 quid or so. Key thing is you want it to pan as it slides otherwise the movement doesn't look good. Being able to tilt is a big bonus too. You just have to rig the cheap ones in a very solid fashion as they aren't built as solidly as the Rhino type stuff. 

OP The Lemming 16 Dec 2019
In reply to ali_colquhoun:

> I have also used a few cheaper chinese copies,

Edelkrone is too rich for my blood, and looking at Rhino prices are making me feel faint.

However buy cheap and pay twice is ringing in my head. Yep, I'm looking for a slider that pans as well but I don't know who to take a punt with.

In reply to The Lemming:

If I wanted cheap I would look at the Konova ones. Korean stuff is usually good

HeMa 16 Dec 2019
In reply to The Lemming:

Out of curiosity, is the sliding mandatory? Would you settle for pan & tilt, as most gimbals offers that timelapse mode.

simondgee 16 Dec 2019
In reply to The Lemming:

Konova is affordable and very good build quality...I have an S2 with the motorised carriage and can run it with my Ronin S/GH5  to be able to 5D timelapse.  Konova has 1st class customer service (even though its out of country)...easily as good as CVP.

OP The Lemming 16 Dec 2019
In reply to HeMa:

> Out of curiosity, is the sliding mandatory? Would you settle for pan & tilt, as most gimbals offers that timelapse mode.

Sliding gives for a more interesting timelapse, going off some YouTube shots.

HeMa 17 Dec 2019
In reply to The Lemming:

Fair enough, just wanted to point out that quite a bit similar motion can also be created with a gimbal for better size (easier to transport) and often less dough.

Also keep in mind that most timelapse sliders aren't really all that long. So unless you have something interesting in the fore-ground, the slider won't add much to it.

I think the Rhino Arc II is something I would look at, had I the £££ (I don't). Atleast Caleb from dslrvideoshooter seems to rate it highly...

Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 09 Jan 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Hi. I have a single axis from digital perception i think. I really want to save up for another two axis, the controller i have is an NMX which can control three axis.

I only got it to offset some money earns against tax and use it a few times a year.

Jethro, when i get back you can borrow mine if you'd like, although I think one axis is too limbing.

Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 09 Jan 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

https://www.facebook.com/snowdoniamountainguides/videos/1787357228025786/

This was my best effort, hard to get timing right, as was shot over 2 hours, trying to get rainbow slab, 'rainbow shadow'.

OP The Lemming 09 Jan 2020
In reply to Mark Reeves:

That was really good. I would have loved to see more of the clouds scuttling past.

Escher 09 Jan 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Cheapest way is to fake it in post, shooting video in 4k then editing to 1080 and keyframing a pan and/or zoom. If shooting stills for your timelapse you can go even bigger and pan even more. Sliders are a very expensive way to get a particular shot, fine if you are loaded but there is better bang for your buck.

OP The Lemming 09 Jan 2020
In reply to Escher:

Yep, I can do the panning in post, and it works well. However I would prefer to get the shot in-camera rather than by using jedi skills in editing software. There are some things that aren't as good after the event, such as trying to replicate a Polarising filter, as an example.

IceKing 09 Jan 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Horses for courses of course. A decently robust slider is at least 250, but 350 upwards really and for that wedge, and you are looking for a variety of shots, it is in Ronin S gimbal territory, an astro photography motorised tracker, various lenses, macro, ultra wide, a chunk of another body for shooting different angles of the same scene. There is probably more scope and variety in the other items I mentioned apart from an astro tracker, but for short exposure astro there isn't another way I am aware of, whereas as you say its easy to mimic a slider in post. Or to cut a long story short with £350 I'd buy one of the others first with a slider coming down the list quite a way. 

Post edited at 22:52

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...