UKC

REVIEW: Christmas Books 2019 - Our Recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 16 Dec 2019
Christmas reading list 2019 From inspiring new guides, both rock and hill, to biography, fiction and poetry, staff at UKC/UKH pick their favourite titles of the last year. Whether you're stuck for present ideas or writing your own note to Santa, these are our top seasonal reads.

Read more
 BrendanO 16 Dec 2019
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Well, that's me sorted for a while!!

Love the hypnotic cover for Black Car Burning, but...is that one of those odd eBay/Amazon "climbing ropes" with the sewn/spliced-in krab at the end? 

Assuming it's not a dangerous knock-off, when do climbers use such a thing? Or should I read the book to find out?

ChrisClark1 16 Dec 2019

Remember perusing through Alpineglow at a hut recently. Blown away by the quality of photographs. Not an alpinist myself but in that moment I for sure wanted to be.

climber34neil 16 Dec 2019

All good books im sure, I would also add crazy sorrow to the list

Michael Gordon 17 Dec 2019
In reply to BrendanO:

> Love the hypnotic cover for Black Car Burning, but...is that one of those odd eBay/Amazon "climbing ropes" with the sewn/spliced-in krab at the end? 

> Assuming it's not a dangerous knock-off, when do climbers use such a thing? Or should I read the book to find out?

Rock/ice climbers? Practically never. Tree surgeons use spliced eyes the whole time.

Michael Gordon 17 Dec 2019

Franco's book looks really good. If I was ever likely to go to the NY Moors, I'd buy it.

subtle 17 Dec 2019
In reply to climber34neil:

> All good books im sure, I would also add crazy sorrow to the list

I've treated myself to that, going to wait unto the 25th to open it though

Southvillain 17 Dec 2019
In reply to BrendanO:

> Love the hypnotic cover for Black Car Burning, but...is that one of those odd eBay/Amazon "climbing ropes" with the sewn/spliced-in krab at the end? 

> Assuming it's not a dangerous knock-off, when do climbers use such a thing? Or should I read the book to find out?

Don't worry, the climbers in the book don't use such a thing! But well worth reading.

In reply to Michael Gordon:

Or, if you bought it, you'd be more likely to visit the NY Moors

Previously I'd have said this is reason enough not to buy it, thus save yourself the inevitable hassle + disappointment, but as per the sentiments within my review - it really does open your eyes as to the quality that's out there.

I have a feeling that in 10 years time people will be quoting this guide on the 'best guidebook you've ever read' thread which is currently up/running elsewhere on the Forums.

For those interested in hearing more on Black Car Burning there's a separate discussion taking place on the 'poems about rock climbing thread', which goes into a lot more detail.

Sadly I was a little pushed for time when I wrote the review, and I feel like my comment regarding how "it's the bits that aren't about climbing that are the best” might have been a bit flippant. It doesn't do the book, or Helen's writing, justice.

More info here: https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/culture_bunker/poems_about_rock_climbing-...

kerry cooper 19 Dec 2019

I feel like such a nerd/knob/smartarse for even noticing this, never mind posting about it. But why would you stack a nest of tables with the smalles one in backwards!!

Post edited at 15:41
 Rob Parsons 19 Dec 2019
In reply to Southvillain:

> Don't worry, the climbers in the book don't use such a thing! But well worth reading.

I wonder why the image was put on the cover, then? Why not proper rope and/or climbing equipment? Seems an unfortunate piece of visual design.

Southvillain 20 Dec 2019
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> I wonder why the image was put on the cover, then? Why not proper rope and/or climbing equipment? Seems an unfortunate piece of visual design.

I've no idea. But you know what graphic designers are like, if it looks good....

In reply to kerry cooper:

You said it!

Have you got kids? Just getting three tables nested together is something of a rarity in our house, I'm not picky about which way round they end up.

deepsoup 21 Dec 2019

From the review of Pete Whittaker's 'Crack Climbing' book at the bottom:

> This book opens your eyes to the sheer number of nuisances in crack climbing, yet it does so without being overwhelming ...

I've been trying to make my mind up if that is supposed to be "nuances".  It works either way.

In reply to deepsoup:

Haha, although nuisances works equally well, ive updated it

Thanks for spotting it!

Sean Kelly 25 Dec 2019

Just to wet the appetite, and due for publication in March 2020 https://www.v-publishing.co.uk/books/books-new-and-coming-soon/hard-rock/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...