UKC

Buoux climbing with children

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PhilWS 17 Dec 2019

Hi, looking at summer holidays again and wondered if anyone could give any information about lower grade (5s) climbing in and around Buoux for me and my family.

Just wondered what summer conditions were like and having looked at some of the other posts on here as to whether the climbs are all the sandbags suggested.

Any other suggestions for locations in the region would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Phil 

GDes 17 Dec 2019
In reply to PhilWS:

Very very hot, with very hard grades. It's difficult to think of a worse place to go on a family summer climbing trip.

Orpierre might be better. Bit cooler, plenty of easier stuff, nice camping and swimming pool. 

Post edited at 13:38
 Jon Read 17 Dec 2019
In reply to PhilWS:

Second what Ged says -- it will be way too hot to think about leaving the swimming pool. Otherwise, the area around most of the crag sections is ok for kids with supervision. And yes, if memory serves me right, the grades will appear stiff. In truth, they're spot on, it's just everywhere else that is wrong.

Edit: typo

Post edited at 15:26
 davepembs 17 Dec 2019
In reply to PhilWS:

It will be hot but I've been going on and off to Buoux in the summer for over 30 years now and always find it's fine to climb. for the last 20 years it's been quiet in summer as well! It's not got a great deal of 5's though and those there are tend to be old school grades - hard!

Oppede is close by and has a great selection of easier climbing, is shaded by trees at the base and has a couple of nearby cafes/bars.

In reply to PhilWS:

Depending how far north you are prepared to go around Brainçon is a good shout, 80+ crags to chose from 6 different rock types, and loads to go at the grade your after + well bolted, plus lots that are kid friendly. and good weather and temps for climbing in summer.

and lots of other things to do with the family,

let me know if you would like more info.

cheers

OP PhilWS 18 Dec 2019

Thank you for all the replies. We are now looking nearer Orpierre although I'm tempted by Oppede.

Planning on investigating Brainçon at some point without the kids so may get in contact then for more info.

Thanks all agian.

Phil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...