UKC

Advice for dry weather at peak district

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jackscottadair 19 Dec 2019

Hello guys. Spending christmas at stafford this year and I noticed the peak district weather forecast looks promising. Haven't climbed gritstone before nor climbed in the peak district so unaware how quickly gritstone drys and if it'll be worth the trip. ( think it's a 1 and half in the car).

Anyway hoping to go up Monday, forecast says sunday is dry and slight chance of showers for 1 hour around 3am Monday. Suppose I got there around 10 do you think stange plantation blouder would be dry?

Also any recommendations for some problems around f6a -f6b would be great

Jon Read 19 Dec 2019
In reply to Jackscottadair:

Your nearest climbing will be the Roaches group (about 50min?) so you could consider there. The churnet is close too, but I'd expect that to take a lot longer to dry, but you never know. Being more sandstoney though it will be more friable potentially if still wet. 

Grit dries pretty quick after rain, as long as the wind can get to the holds. 

mrphilipoldham 19 Dec 2019

Yep if you're not entirely sure if it's going to be dry or not then I'd be binning off the eastern edges and stick to the Roaches. More than enough bouldering there to keep you entertained for years up to f6b and a variety of situations to ensure something, somewhere is pretty much always dry unless it's rained in the preceding few hours.  Newstones and Baldstones and  Roaches Skyline are generally very quick drying, but equally unpleasant in gales. 

mrphilipoldham 19 Dec 2019

Unless of course it's raining at the Roaches, then head to the eastern edges

Alex@home 19 Dec 2019
In reply to Jon Read:

Yep, wind and humidity. Was there on Monday afternoon when it had been dry and breezy all day and everything was still gopping. Even really exposed stuff up at Doxey's Pool. Chatted to some lads who said the Tetris block was dry though so guess you might get lucky

DrJP 20 Dec 2019

Im looking to go Monday to climb similar grades, will give you a message. Only live in Sheffield so 20mins for me, can give you a heads up.

Graeme Hammond 20 Dec 2019

Check out the winking man webcam which is almost opposite Ramshaw (wait till it zooms out if it is pointed at their sign) which gives a good indication of conditions before traveling.

https://www.winkingman.co.uk/webcam/

Remember that the roaches being on the west side of the Peak and at a quite high altitude for the area catches the prevailing weather. It is not uncommon for the roaches to be damp or foggy whilst the eastern edges are catching the sunshine.

Lastly this time of year don't bother trying to get out super early, the edges usually need a few hours to warm up and dry out from any overnight dampness. Getting in any sun going will significantly help.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...