UKC

UK made waterproof jackets?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TheGeneralist 25 Dec 2019

Need to get a new shell. I'm guessing they're all made in the far East these days so it doesn't really matter which I get.

PHD is the only UK manufacturer I can think off but he only makes down kit.

Anyone able to put me right and direct a bit of cash towards the UK "economy"

Or failing that the German Economy....

Andypeak 25 Dec 2019
In reply to TheGeneralist:

PHD do waterproof jackets and smocks now. They don't come cheap though. 

GarethSL 25 Dec 2019

If you could add the Canadian economy to your list then Westcomb still make in Canada and the Arc'teryx Alpha SV is also still Canadian made. 

Removed User 25 Dec 2019
In reply to Forester

I've a winter smock and trousers by these people. Tailored to my size. Excellent buy.

ColdWill 25 Dec 2019
In reply to Forester3:

Not really waterproofs are they being nikwax analogy.

DaveHK 25 Dec 2019
In reply to ColdWill:

> Not really waterproofs are they being nikwax analogy.

Good point well made.

Tringa 25 Dec 2019
In reply to ColdWill:

Depends how you define waterproof. If you want then to stop water getting in, in every situation, eg including kneeling in a puddle, then no, not waterproof. If you want to be able to walk for hours in pouring rain without having any water get through, then yes, waterproof.

Dave

AlanLittle 25 Dec 2019

How much does where the sewing was done really determine the "country of origin" of a jacket? Versus where the oil was drilled & refined*, where the spinning, weaving, coating, laminating (etc) was done?

(* Afaik in the case of most but not all synthetic fibres - am not an expert on such things)

SouthernSteve 25 Dec 2019
In reply to Andypeak:

I have an older PhD Smock. It is excellent. All of their stuff is made in the UK. The original owner died last year, but very little seems to have changed which is very good to see.

sjminfife 25 Dec 2019

I believe Keela are still made in the UK.

Post edited at 16:18
 greg_may_ 25 Dec 2019
In reply to sjminfife:

I wouldn't call them waterproof.... sieve maybe.

StuDoig 26 Dec 2019

In addition to the already mentioned  cioch and keela, hilltrek in Aboyne manufacture their own waterproofs.  Again nickwax type fabrics so depends on whether you get along with that or not.......

Cheers!

sjminfife 26 Dec 2019
In reply to greg_may_:

Strange my whole family have used the Munro jackets with no problems at all. Have you had a bad experience?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...